cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 16

BT tell me I have to pay £6.95 pm to keep BT Sports - questions.

I've just got this:

BT SportBT Sport

I have three questions - I hope you'll permit me to post them here rather than split into three threads:

(1) How do I find when my BT broadband ends?

(2) Does BT still have the facility of keeping my wife's account & email address for £4/£5 per month?

(3) Where can I read BT's (CEO's) justification for charging me an extra £6.75 for a Sport channel when there's hardly any live sports being played/broadcast? Sky has just given me a six months'  reduction for this very reason

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT tell me I have to pay £6.95 pm to keep BT Sports - questions.

The £6.75 discount is a standard discount which everybody with BT Sport on Sky gets when the broadband with BT is in contract, once the broadband contract ends it's added back onto the bill. There is an online form where you can claim refunds/donate to the NHS in the meantime as well.

The email addresses can be kept for £7.50 if you don't have broadband with BT but you'll have to call to check the contract end date as this information isn't available online

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 16

Thank you Garybs29. Have you a number I can ring and will they be taking calls at the moment (CVirus and all that) ?

Re Contract details, someone here once told me that the info is available online - my Profile, perhaps?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

try mybt, then orders and faults, then track order, it will tell you the start date and work from there
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 16

In case it help anyone else, here are my notes from a previous thread: 

"If you call BT on 0800.800.030 they will be able to tell you when your contract ends and if you are wanting to move to another provider prior to that, how much you would need to pay in cancellation fees.

If you leave BT Broadband and wish to retain your email account you can take out a BT Premium email account which costs £7.50.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-premium-mail/what-is-premium-email-and-how-do-i-get-it-".

I'll get working on these issues and then update you but the BT Chief Executive is a fool if he thinks he can increase charges for BT Sport when there isn't any live sport. BT will lose business to Sky. Then we'll have a ping-pong when Sky increase their charges!

I like PlusNet - not long ago I tried to move to them. BT said they wanted £300/£400. I complained to Ofcom; they needed details of my phone calls to BT and it took BT months and months to send me a CD, by which time it would have taken up too much of my life trying to piece it all together again. I have a huge thread here but am too busy to look for it. I won't be such a soft touch if I am forced to complain to Ofcom. again.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 16

Blast! I was so busy doing this that I've just missed my close's "Social Distancing Street Dancing".  I hope there's another next week.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

The charges for BT Sport are being refunded if you fill in the form online.

TBH I don't see why there was any reason to complain if you were told of 300-400 charges to leave previously as it's likely you were trying to end a contract before the minimum term ended & any company would charge on in that situation

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 8 of 16

@garybs29  I rang the number that was suggested at that time by a Moderator in this forum.  BT  tried to charge me £300/£400 and wouldn't attempt to justify the figure eg it was based on how much they'd lose by my early cancellation. They then said it was my fault because I didn't reply within the 14 (?) days' deadline. I proved that I DID phone because I'd received in writing a stroppy reply that "the supervisor was away on a course" so I'd have to wait!

I'll look at the 0800 number mentioned earlier, ring it and get back here.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 16

I rang that number and went through five or six options until I finally was told they're very busy because of Coronavirus. That's fair enough but then the person doing the recorded message spoke at 100mph and I haven't a clue what she said.

There was an interesting article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday on the subject - Sky users can simply ask for their Sports to be suspended. They gave me a refund so I did better than that. Their comments about BT were that "BT Sport has a more confusing approach - often bamboozling viewers with a choice of a 'credit' back for lost viewing - which includes a further choice of opting to donate the payment to the NHS, or spending the money on a different entertainment package instead. BT is slated in the article - check it out.

And there are other problems too. BT write to me but the account is in my wife's name and I've asked them several times to keep her involved. It's all rather messy, I'm afraid.

Given the importance of the issues, I'd like this escalated to a moderator for him to escalate it to BT. Are you able to do this?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 16

can this be referred to @Keith_Beddoe in the first instance?

0 Ratings