Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sargan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

BT time to pull your socks up

Open Post for any BT 'moderators' ...

The UK is now populating with a huge number of SMART TV's ..

On my Samsung since release the number viewing Apps has grown considerably ... ITVplayer, BBCiplayer, Chn5 player   etc.

You have adverts on TV every day telling us that as Broadband account holders we can get free BT Sports yet do not provide a player for this on SMART TV's ...

A player is not a huge development job ... especially as so many now exist, the method to do this is now robust - BT you need to put some effort into this.  It should have been in place before you started your Advertisement campaign

n.

7 REPLIES 7
AntM
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT time to pull your socks up

^ Agree.

I'd like to see more ways to watch BT Sport. It was primarily the reason I signed up for your broadband. Little did I know I'd have to watch it on my laptop.

Great scenario - "Alright lads, do you want to come round for a few beers and we can sit around my laptop and watch the match on a 15" screen with crummy speakers".

I own a PS4, an Xbox 360, a Roku box, a Samsung BD player, a Samsung smart TV. I can watch BT Sport on none of these.

I can watch it on my laptop, my tablet or my iPhone. All have tiny screens, awful speakers and are inconvienient to output to my television.

Sort it out BT. Either put BT Sport on Freeview (like it already should be) or develop players for more platforms.

0 Ratings
Sargan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

I can understand why (maybe not agree) they don't put it on Freeview, as its a way of influencing people to buy a BT Broadband account ... money.

However having made that marketting decision they should make a player available..

I agree with you it's a faff to have to have a laptop or phone and a hook up to TV & internet to get it to work ... ties up Laptop.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Well BT have invested in two TV platform products  the BT Vision+ box and Youview - not sure it makes any commercial sense to offer its sports channels directly on a  smart TV  - clearly you can you use the smart Tv as a monitor for your PC/laptop/portable device or subscribe and connect a BTTV/Sky/virgin Media box. 

0 Ratings
Sargan
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Perhaps you missing the point ? .... BT are advertsiing that BT BB account holders can now watch BT Sports for free on TV.

SMART TV's allow users to watch recorded or Live broadcasts via a viewer (BBC iplayer, 4OD, 5OD, ITVPlayer etc) you do not need to plug any external device into your TV to do so.

This is the way that is seen as the standard approach for SMART TV's.

I appreciate that I can watch BT Sports on my phone or Laptop, but that is not what I want to do.

BT Ads leave people to believe that they get to watch BT sports on their TV, with no mention that there is no player available, or that you will need an external device to do so.

It's misleading ... (at least)  ....

BT really should produce a BT Sports app

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Adverts normally focus on what is available and will refer you to  terms and conditions - I have not noticed any advert which says that the app  is available on any smart TV but I have seen/heard/read plenty of references to them being available on BT TV  and via the  website or app  - and there is normally a list of devices for which there is an app - again I haven't seen any claim that there is a app for a  smart TV.

0 Ratings
Sargan
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

I didn't say that the Adds say it is available on SMAR TVS.

What I said was that the Ads state that watching BT is free if you are a BT BB account holder, and by multiple views of a TV and sports being played ... this would lead people to believe that you can watch it on a TV .... where as you can't.

You can watch it if you use your TV as a monitor ... that is something significantly different, requires external hardware (eg phone or Laptop) and cables.

People 'expect' and 'believe by inference in the Ads' that by using an 'app' they will be able to watch directly on a TV.

Maybe commercially BT does not want this, if so they could have easily added to the Ads ... not available on SMART TV's or ... only available via a 3rd party device.

Look at number of posts on Google (and here) where people are genuinely confused and expected there to be a BT 'iplayer' type app.

Do you think it wrong for people to expect this ? ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If the ASA thought advert misleading then BT would be told to delete or amend the advert - as far as I have seen that has not happened

you can always write and complain and if enough people do the same then maybe ASA will act

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings