cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT ultimate

I switched to the VIP package about 3 months ago and since then have not been able to access the BT ultimate channel. According to all the speed tests I have done my speed is adequate enough to be able to receive it, I have a 4k TV and box, but no joy.  When I try to access it says "sorry - there's been a problem, we can't recommend a TV package right now, this may be because this channel is no longer sold" with a code BTP-11169 (which doesn't seem to exist anywhere). Is ultimate included as standard with VIP or does it need to be activated. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT ultimate

what are the speed expectations for your line if you use

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

If I'm reading it correctly then the max observed downspeed is 59.73

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Access to BT Sport Ultimate is included in the VIP pack as far as I am aware but there is a minimum speed requirement to get it via the BT TV box to ensure you have enough bandwidth.

When you run the speed checker you need a minimum speed of 44MB in the “Downstream Handback Threshold” column or it may even say something like “minimum guaranteed speed”.

If that number isn’t above 44MB you can’t watch it via the BT TV box no matter how fast the line speed you actually get is.

You should however be able to watch it via a compatible device such as an Xbox One or Apple TV. You will find a full list of devices in the help pages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

On further inspection, the downspeed handback threshold is 43.6, however when I run the speed test through the youview box it says that I am able to receive SD HD and 4K. My understanding of the downspeed handback is that if my speed drops to/below this then bt have to reimburse me or rectify the situation

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 9

That may also be true, but unless it says 44MB they can’t activate Ultimate on a  BT TV box unless the rules have changed?

I believe that the 44MB figure as a minimum is to ensure if you were watching Ultimate that you could still also record or watch a second streamed channel and still have some bandwidth for normal uses on other devices.

I believe I read elsewhere on here that the Ultimate channel will use at least 25 - 30MB, a normal HD channel is 8 - 10MB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Same problem here but today I’ve now been told I have to pay extra £5 for access to 4K not as V.I.P as I thought I was lol

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi badhatharry, thanks for sending over your details. I've checked and you are currently on the VIP HD package. For the BT Sport Ultimate channel you would need to upgrade to the VIP 4K package. If you would like to do this you can add the 4K subscription via manage your products on BT.com website.

that's what I’ve been told today but wasn’t any option to choose when I signed up and there’s no option on the website even after following link I was provided,to add or blot this on to my V.I.P package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Basically we been led to believe we could get it but not the case unless your lucky enough to have a ridiculous high internet speeds I’m on fibre 1 but still not good enough But wasn’t told this when I took out my V.I.P package otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered and just had all the now tv channels from now tv itself and not BT sports 

0 Ratings