cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wittgenfrog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT wierdness blocks access to Sport?

I'm like many others who've posted.   My BT box doesn't update to have the BT Sport over IP channels. 

I live in the countyryside, I'm on ADSL and it's most unlikely I'll ever get fibre, or a significant speed boost from BT.

Having spent many tedious hours looking into this it appears that there is an arbitrary condition which demands that BT's "speed checker" PREDICTS a line speed of >5.25 Mb/s. 

Mine is predicted at 4Mb/s though speedtest.net and every other check I throw at it says I reliably get between 5.5 & 6Mb/s. 

Whatever the "real" speed is, I can stream reliably in HD  from Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc.etc.  on both my PC & XBOX, though Chromecast doesn't work, as I haven't an Android\iOS device.  I can also stream paid-for movies from BT on my BT Box.  It seems BT is happy to allow this when I pay extra, but NOT when it's nominally "free" ( I took up the special offer).

Most annoyingly, the thing that workls badly\not at all is BT Sport streamed to PC.  This has always been the case, and the new Flash-based player (ever heard of HTML5?) doesn't work any better than the late unloved Silverlight one.

I have a couple of questions that a passing guru\BT person might like to clarify:

1. What's the point of the arbitrary "5.25Mb/s estimated" Bandwidth limitation to enable Sport over IP?  Every other IP-based streaming service works brilliantly on my actual bandwidth.
  2. Given that BT Sport streamed over my PC is virtually unwatchable in ANY browser (blurry, pixelated, drop-outs, freezing, twirly circle etc.)  how am I supposed to watch the Sport I'm paying for?
  3. Is BT planning to compensate all its customers who bought BT Sport\Boxes to watch it on when it was OTA, that are now largely useless for that purpose?
  4. Is BT planning any alternative\workable system of BT Sport over IP for those of us unlikely ever to get "Superfast" (AKA reasonably adequate) Broadband?

Thanks in advance for your responses.....

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT wierdness blocks access to Sport?

All of the BT TV channels that are streamed live, rather than on-demand, use a completely different transmission system to most streaming video services.  It uses "multicast", where the data is streamed simultaneously to every customer.  There's no buffering, and no opportunity to re-transmit any packets that didn't make it from the server to the viewer.  There's also no way to adjust the bit-rate according to the speed of the line.  To have any chance of working, BT only offers BT Sport to customers whose lines can comfortably take the streamed video, while other people in the home are using the connection at the same time.

The odds of getting any compensation from BT are pretty much nil.  They offered the chance to cancel BT Sport.  That's all you get.

I strongly doubt that BT cares enough about the handful of customers (relatively speaking) who can't get fast enough speeds for BT Sport to spend any money on it.  So far as they are concerned, Openreach are rolling out Infinity across the country, and all customers should be signing up for it as soon as it's available.  There's no point in spending time or money on a stop-gap system for an ever-decreasing number of customers.

0 Ratings
wittgenfrog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT wierdness blocks access to Sport?

@Ectophile wrote:

I strongly doubt that BT cares enough about the handful of customers (relatively speaking) who can't get fast enough speeds for BT Sport to spend any money on it.  So far as they are concerned, Openreach are rolling out Infinity across the country, and all customers should be signing up for it as soon as it's available.  There's no point in spending time or money on a stop-gap system for an ever-decreasing number of customers.

Thanks for the explaination.   I had pretty much worked-oput the technology, but I'm still galled by the dishonesty\lack of clarity of the marketing, and the ineptness of the technology solution.

Sadly the much-publicised "roll-out" of Fibre isn't going to be an option for very many people - we are, as you suggest a relatively small number- but it would be nice if thje reality were to be matched to the claims.....

0 Ratings