cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 36

Re: BTSport 1 and BTSport 2

Oh, and I should have added that ESPN will not be available from Sky or Talk Talk wef July.
0 Ratings
some_old_codger
Contributor
Message 32 of 36

Hi,

Yes, I remember you saying that but I've decided to go the other way and cancel my sky sports stuff and take the BT sports 1, 2 and ESPN with the viewing card in my existing BTV box.

Various reasons for this but I guess the main one is that whichever match I want to see, it's never the one being shown. If it's a freebee, (or comes with the broadband which is the same thing... kind of), then at least I'm not paying for getting the 'wrong' match.

I'm not interested in F1, boxing, poker and whatever other rubbish they show on SS so it was always a very expensive way of watching the odd match I WAS interested in.

Of course, as we all know, there are other ways of getting to see the matches SS have on... going to the pub being my favourite 🙂

YMMV

Also, of course, I'll be saving a fair bit of money so it's all good.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 36

some_old_codger,

Fair enough. I was only suggesting you wait for now if you wanted to make use of the Total Sports Max cheap deal for as long as possible. As others have said BT will be sending out letters in the coming months to those with Sky Sports who don't have the option of upgrading to Infinity. It will be interesting to see how they word those letters.

I was in a different situation as I do have the option of upgrading to Infinity and BT forced my hand by saying they would disable my DTT sports channel access any time from 3rd June. So I have now used the Total Sports Max bargaining chip to arrange a very cheap Infinity connection for 12 months with no installation or activation costs. I will be paying £20 for Sky Sports 1&2 (ouch!) but the rest of the package was so cheap that overall my costs will remain the same. I can also cancel the Sky Sports add-on at any time if I want to save £20 and go down the pub instead as that is just a rolling contract. Maybe just the BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN will be enough?

Total Sports Max was great while it lasted. Very cheap and open ended as the cheap deal didn't end after 24 months. My new cheap deal will automatically go up in price after 12 months so I will have to renegotiate in a year's time.

skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 36

I'm sure that if you have the BT Sports service via DTT then ESPN will only be available to watch online or via the App?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 36

One bit of extra information I got when arranging my new order. I asked if the DTT Sky Sports 1&2 would transmit all the way up to Aug 1st before changing to BT Sport 1&2, and if not, when was the end date? The rep said the exact date when they would stop transmitting Sky Sports to you would depend on your location and details would be in the letters being sent out soon. I'm not sure why the location would be relevant if BT are just going to reuse the existing channel 41 and 42 slots. Does that imply they might do some channel renumbering as well? Anyway, that's what they told me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 36

@umpire wrote:

One bit of extra information I got when arranging my new order. I asked if the DTT Sky Sports 1&2 would transmit all the way up to Aug 1st before changing to BT Sport 1&2, and if not, when was the end date? The rep said the exact date when they would stop transmitting Sky Sports to you would depend on your location and details would be in the letters being sent out soon. I'm not sure why the location would be relevant if BT are just going to reuse the existing channel 41 and 42 slots. Does that imply they might do some channel renumbering as well? Anyway, that's what they told me.

Its not in BT's gift to renumber channels. They are allocated by OFCOM, I believe. The only way in which BT could stop transmitting via DTT at different times at different locations, if its done on a transmitter basis. I cannot see the logic in that. I suspect, this is incorrect information from the rep.

Incidentally, I was advised by a rep yesterday, quite categorically, that Sky Sports now /BT Sports in future is/will be transmitted in HD over DTT, provided I have an HD TV and an HDMI cable! I suggested to her that she might like to check her facts before malking this statement again to another customer. I also mentioned the fact that my box no longer has 1080, which seemed to go straight over her head. Worrying!

0 Ratings