Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
some_old_codger
Contributor
Message 11 of 36

Re: BTSport 1 and BTSport 2

Good, it's not just me then 😉

I have BT vision, (the newer black box which I believe is vision plus with the updated linux-based software), but I'm NOT in an infinity enabled area, (end of the year they say). I have SP1 & 2 and ESPN at £15 p/m. I have a 40Gb limited broadband which costs me £20 p/m. I'm on what they call a triple package which I've had for about 2.5 - 3 years I think.

As I understand it, (which I probably don't but there we are), with my existing BTV box, (with a one-off £10 viewing card), I can continue receiving SP1 OR SP 2 at £15 for one or £20 for the two. I can also receive BT Sports 1 & 2 and ESPN if I sign another 12 months broadband package and that will cost me only £13.65 a month AND that's with unlimited broadband. As I understand it the sports channels will come via  the aerial.

Thus we have a total cost of £33.65 p/m for SP1, 2, ESPN, BT Sports 1 & 2, excluding the usual stuff like calls, line rental and what have you.

However, when infinity is available, if I choose to 'upgrade' to infinity, (which I THINK means I can get a youview box at about £50), I'm not clear if I have to lose the Sky Sports stuff. Also the cost of that atm, (including BT sports but excluding the Sky sports stuff which I think I won't be able to get... but I might be wrong???) is £23 for the infinity unlimited. I believe I also have to pay £5 for the 'catch-up' TV... I think?! TBH I never use catch up TV anyway so that's just another £5 p/m for something that's useless to me.

Anyway, the point is that seems to be £28, (i.e. £23 + £5), for a service without the sky sports stuff AFTER the so called  'upgrade' as opposed to sticking with the existing set-up of 'normal' broadband at £33.65 which includes ALL the sports channels, albeit only in SD, not HD.

Of course, if I'm wrong and I WILL be able to get SP1 & 2 for the £20 p/m if I upgrade to infinity when it becomes available, it will still cost £48 p/m, (i.e. £23 + £5 + £20), as opposed to just £33.65. Mind you, it will be in HD. That seems a lot of money just for HD content.

I have to say, this is more like a proposition for Wittgenstein than a commercial decision 😄

In all honesty I'm inclined to kick the sky sports into touch, (I've always hated Murdoch), and just have the 'free' BT & ESPN footie but I'd like to have all the facts before deciding.

0 Ratings
some_old_codger
Contributor
Message 12 of 36

My understanding is that you get the free sports if you sign another 12 months contract but that's maybe only if you live in a non-infinity area, like me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 36

If you rely solely on your aerial you will lose Sky Sports as they will no longer be available via DTT

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 36

@some_old_codger wrote:

I have BT vision, (the newer black box which I believe is vision plus with the updated linux-based software), but I'm NOT in an infinity enabled area, (end of the year they say). I have SP1 & 2 and ESPN at £15 p/m. I have a 40Gb limited broadband which costs me £20 p/m. I'm on what they call a triple package which I've had for about 2.5 - 3 years I think.

Hi some_old_codger,

Are you still on the Total Sports Max package? If so my advice would be the same as it was several months ago. Don't sign up to any new contract just yet. BT haven't officially announced it but as others have said it iis possible BT will stop providing Sky Sports 1 & 2 over the aerial and use those slots for BT Sports 1 & 2.

I'm still hanging in there on the Total Sports Max (33 months now). However, because Infinity is available to me I have been informed by letter that I will need to change to Infinity to keep receiving the sports channels in future. My viewing card's date of execution is June 3rd. My Total Sports Max contract will finally end and I need to discuss setting up a new contract with them.

For those who can't currently change to Infinity I expect they will be sending letters out soon informing them of what the future situation will be for Sky Sports. They would have to give official notice before stopping the current Sky Sports aerial based TV services. Hopefully all should become clearer nearer Aug 1st.

Having said that, I'm not a BT advisor, so as always, phone them and ask is probably the best advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 36

@some_old_codger wrote:

As I understand it, (which I probably don't but there we are), with my existing BTV box, (with a one-off £10 viewing card), I can continue receiving SP1 OR SP 2 at £15 for one or £20 for the two. I can also receive BT Sports 1 & 2 and ESPN if I sign another 12 months broadband package and that will cost me only £13.65 a month AND that's with unlimited broadband. As I understand it the sports channels will come via  the aerial.

Thus we have a total cost of £33.65 p/m for SP1, 2, ESPN, BT Sports 1 & 2, excluding the usual stuff like calls, line rental and what have you.

I suspect that plan would be flawed for another reason anyway. If you signed up for a new contract now they wouldn't offer you the chance to get Sky Sports 1 & 2 for £20. For a long time now (since Feb) they have only been offering the sports channel add-ons to Infinity customers. So if you signed a new ADSL broadband contract the Sky Sports 1 & 2 add-on wouldn't be an available option.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 36

@umpire wrote:

@some_old_codger wrote:

Hi some_old_codger,

Are you still on the Total Sports Max package? If so my advice would be the same as it was several months ago. Don't sign up to any new contract just yet. BT haven't officially announced it but as others have said it iis possible BT will stop providing Sky Sports 1 & 2 over the aerial and use those slots for BT Sports 1 & 2.

There is no "possible" about it, Sky Sports and ESPN will be stopping on the DTT platform wef 31 July, with Channels 41 & 42 changing to BT Sports 1 & 2. ESPN will only be available on-line or via an App. There is no definite word on Channel 34, but as this is licenced to Top-Up TV, unlike 41 & 42 which are licenced to BT, it looks likely that this will no longer transmit a sports channel moving forward.

I may be wrong, but my belief is that all existing contracts for Sky Sports will effectively be on a pay-as-you-go basis from 1 August, so this would mean no formal notice would be required.

0 Ratings
wdpwdp
Contributor
Message 17 of 36

MJH62,

From where did you get the news that Sky Sports will be stopping on the DTT platform wef 31 July...?  Quite a definitive statement if you don't mind me saying.  What evidence do you have...?  I have heard differently from BT.

Or are you just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5...?

Thank you

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 36

@wdpwdp wrote:

MJH62,

From where did you get the news that Sky Sports will be stopping on the DTT platform wef 31 July...?  Quite a definitive statement if you don't mind me saying.  What evidence do you have...?  I have heard differently from BT.

Or are you just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5...?

Thank you

Well,

I keep getting letters saying I need to upgrade to infinity to keep getting SS1 & SS2.

See this thread:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/Were-changing-the-way-we-provide-Sky-Sports-1-and-Sky-Sports-2/...

All the best

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 36

@MJH62 wrote:
There is no "possible" about it, Sky Sports and ESPN willbe stopping on the DTT platform wef 31 July, with Channels 41 & 42 changing to BT Sports 1 & 2. ESPN will only be available on-line or via an App. There is no definite word on Channel 34, but as this is licenced to Top-Up TV, unlike 41 & 42 which are licenced to BT, it looks likely that this will no longer transmit a sports channel moving forward.

I may be wrong, but my belief is that all existing contracts for Sky Sports will effectively be on a pay-as-you-go basis from 1 August, so this would mean no formal notice would be required.

I was purposely being careful with my wording. Ok, maybe "possible" was a bit too careful, but I could equally question your use of the word "will". Could you please point us to the official announcement from BT that says that they will stop on 31st July and channels 41 & 42 will become BT Sport 1 & 2? I'm not aware of any such announcement. I do agree with what you have said but I don't know that for sure.

Let's agree on the phrase "very likely". :smileyhappy:

Regarding the contracts, I thought all Sky Sports contracts had always been on a rolling basis. Even though I've been on the Total Sports Max bundle for 33 months, all that time I could have cancelled the Sky Sports and ESPN add-on at any time. I wasn't tied in to that for 24 months. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 36

i don't know what BT would be obliged to do as far as giving notice for future changes, but if it is of any use I received a letter on May 7th telling me my access to the DTT sports channels will end some time from June 3rd onwards.

0 Ratings