cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 36

Re: BTSport 1 and BTSport 2

Think about it, why did BT stop new subscriptions to Sky Sports except for thise in Infinity areas in September 2012? Also, BT only has 2 DTT channels and it has been announced that BT Sports 1 & 2 will be broadcast over DTT. These licences are expensive and there is little capacity for it to acquire any further channels on the platform anyway. As I said previously, Sky Sports 1 & 2 will cease to be broadcast on DTT wef 31 July 2013.
0 Ratings
Fozziebear40
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 36

I don't understand these rumours. It's all about retention isn't it, keeping customers? I have Sky Sports via DTT aerial and not in an Infinity or Multicast area. So to continue to watch Sky Sports after 1st August I have to leave BT and go to Sky?

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 36

@Fozziebear40 wrote:

I don't understand these rumours. It's all about retention isn't it, keeping customers? I have Sky Sports via DTT aerial and not in an Infinity or Multicast area. So to continue to watch Sky Sports after 1st August I have to leave BT and go to Sky?

I am in an infinity and multicast enabled area and have SS1 & SS2 via. DTT & ADSL for my broadband.

As it stands I do not want to upgrade to infinity because it seems there will be much disruption involving surface cable routes etc. to get it, even though it would be free.

So, like you they are not likely to retain my business and I may have to go to Sky.

I applaud BT for competing however at the end of the day they are supposed to be providing a service for their customers.

From what I read here and on other threads, they are not interested in their existing customer base, they are only concerned with competing with Sky and getting Sky's customers to switch.

All the best

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 36

"I don't understand these rumours. It's all about retention isn't it, keeping customers? I have Sky Sports via DTT aerial and not in an Infinity or Multicast area. So to continue to watch Sky Sports after 1st August I have to leave BT and go to Sky?"

They are not rumours and the answer is yes. I am in the same boat as you.
0 Ratings
Fozziebear40
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 36

Cheers MJH62, you would think they would write to you though. I haven't had a letter while some people have had 2. I would need to order Sky for 1st August but what about cancelling my BT Vision Contract? I can't afford both systems, surely they have broken my Contract by taking Sky Sports away? (I know that part is only 30 day rolling Contract but it all ties in)

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 36

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free/

Although this is not an official announcement, this appears to be a reliable source of information confirming the loss of Sky Sports.
0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 36

Just spoken to an adviser on the phone and she has confirmed that Sky Sports 1 & 2 will cease transmitting on DTT in July, I am advised that existing subscibers who cannot get Infinity will be contacted soon about their options; ie to register for BT Sports via DTT and the fact that their bills will go down as BT Sports is free whereas we were paying for Sky Sports. Bills issued wef 1 July will reflect this.

One word of caution, if you make any changes to your broadband package before August, the you will lose Sky Sports at the same time. I enquired about upgrading to unlimited broadband which is now cheaper for me than my current Option 2, but was told that if I upgraded now I would lose Sky Sports now.

MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 36

@Fozziebear40 wrote:

Cheers MJH62, you would think they would write to you though. I haven't had a letter while some people have had 2. I would need to order Sky for 1st August but what about cancelling my BT Vision Contract? I can't afford both systems, surely they have broken my Contract by taking Sky Sports away? (I know that part is only 30 day rolling Contract but it all ties in)

Your contract for broadband and for BT Vision is separate to your Sport Max contract, the former will typically be for 12 months and since September 2012 the latter has only been  available to existing customers on a monthly payg basis. Therefore, I think you will find that this is not a breach of contract, frustrating as it is.

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 36

I have a contract with BT that includes ESPN.

I also receive SS1 & SS2 via. DTT.

I have been offered an upgrade to infinity and multicast to continue receiving SS1 & SS2.

The letter also says:

"If you've got ESPN with us, these changes will affect you too."

I think my contract ends in Novemeber. Need to check but around this time.

I may not take the upgrade offer because of difficulties running the cabling. I am waiting for the Mods to reply concerning a diagram I have submitted.

I have received the letter but it does not say you will lose them on the 3 June 2013 only that BT Vision customers will start to lose them from the 3 June 2013. A completion date is not given.

In addition can BT just break the contract to provide ESPN and are they liable for the associated costs for me having to change provider to mainatain my ESPN service until the end date of my contract with BT.

All the best

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 36

Tell boy

ESPN was going to close at the end of July and if BT had not bought its operations you would have had no service anyway. BT is offering to maintian your services and more ( with free BT Sport). You feel unable to take it due to cablong preferences. That is your perogative, but It would not constitute sufficient grounds for a break in contract, I'm afraid.

Sky Sports 1 & 2 are ceasing transmission wef July 2013 via DTT for the reasons I've stated earlier. If you wish to continue to receive them from BT, you will have to accept the Infinity route offered to you. Otherwise, you will have to go direct to Sky (or Talk Talk, if you are willing to change braodband provider).
0 Ratings