cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sd99
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Bah - No BT Sport for me :'(

Well I've recently signed up and installed a BT line, with BT ADSL Broadband, BT TV Essentials via BT YouView - and I just contacted BT to see if I can receive [free] BT Sport for no extra cost.

The answer?  Yes, if...

I swap my YouView box (HDMI, iPlayer, itvPlayer, 4oD, Demand5, FreeviewHD) for a BT Vision box (HDMI, no catchup TV, no FreeviewHD).  Or, if...

I swap my £10 ADSL 17MB unlimited broadband for £10 Fibre (not unlimited - 10GB, and 1MB slower).

Marvellous.  I can either downgrade my TV, or downgrade my Internet.  For FREE!

I really don't understand *why* BT Infinity is required for BT YouView/Sport?  It's just an ethernet connection from the hub...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bah - No BT Sport for me :'(

there is no 10gb limit package on infinity - that would be crazy package with a fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sd99
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

You're right...  I've just checked the website.  BT advisor advised me incorrectly then...

Still doesn't explain why I can't get Sports though - 17MB is way fast enough, even for an HD stream.

To me it sounds like an excuse to force people into upgrading!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@sd99 wrote:

I swap my YouView box (HDMI, iPlayer, itvPlayer, 4oD, Demand5, FreeviewHD) for a BT Vision box (HDMI, no catchup TV, no FreeviewHD).

I think you were misinformed about catch-up TV as well.

The Vision+ box doesn't have it built into the EPG in the way Youview does, but it is available through the menu system. I believe Youview has more catch-up programmes available, but you have to put up with commercials. On the Vision+ box there are fewer programmes, but no commercials.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
findo_gask
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Going to get a card in August. Have Youview box but also have a CAM in my TV. No reason BT card won't work ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@findo_gask wrote:

Going to get a card in August. Have Youview box but also have a CAM in my TV. No reason BT card won't work ?

Unfortunately BT have never advertised the viewing cards as working in any device other than the BT Vision+ black box connected to BT broadband and with a valid BT TV subscription. So I suspect that would be a waste of £10.

They have said that you can view the BT Sport web streams on a smart TV connected to the BTHomeHub if (and it's a big if) the TV browser supports Microsoft Silverlight.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-via-a-Smart-TV/m-p/870716

0 Ratings