cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alspacka
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Basic questions seemingly beyond customer services.

Hello knowledgable folk.

I was planning on switching from TalkTalk to BT broadband, primarily for the football, thinking it would be simple...

Currently I have no TV service other than inbuilt freeview. I'm apparently not in a BT Infinity area. I would've thought this is a fairly common scenario.

Excuse my ignorance, but if I were to buy a second hand sky box & card, or BT Vision+ box, would that suffice?

Any suggestions, or should I abandon this idea?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Paul1360
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Basic questions seemingly beyond customer services.

Alaspacka,

If you got a sky box with an active card then as a BT BB customer you will be able to have free BT Sport via the sky platform. Which I would think is thebest way to go as you've not got infinity, which I believe is best for BT Vision, with sky itnot matter what your BB speed is.

Iechyd da

0 Ratings
Alspacka
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Noswaith da Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused as to what 'active card' means. If I were to pick up an old box & card off ebay for a tenner, would this work? In the FAQ it mentions that no sky subscription is required, so how can a card be 'active'? What constitutes the 'platform'? Sorry, never had sky before.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

You can pay Sky a one-off fee for 'Freesat from Sky' which gives access to FTA and FTV channels on the Sky platform (I.e. a satellite receiver designed to work with the Sky EPG).

You cannot legally obtain the viewing card other than from Sky.

Once you have the card account set up on a Sky receiver you can contact BT to get BT Sport added.

The card on its own costs £25 from Sky.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Bora Da Aslpacka,

Sorry got your new wrong in my post. Colin has explained "Active Card" to a T, It's was a 1 off fee of £10 back last year and I think it's still the same. When you contact Sky for a card they will throw everything they can at you from BB to Sky TV packages et al, telling you how much better Sky is than BT, Freeview and all that, they will give you prices until you are blue in the face, So it would be best that once you get through to someone tell them right off you are not interested in anything else so please don't go through the options and you just want a viewing card and keep your fingers crossed that the person listens to you. Back a long while ago I had Sky HD installed and sadly I was not home that day my son was and so I ended up with 2 dish's and a Sky + HD box and a Sky+ box and boy oh boy it was on the 3rd try I finally got someone who would listen and ordered my card lol

iechyd da

0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

When my mum ordered a Freesat from Sky card a couple of weeks back there was no hard sell of the 'sky packages', even after telling them that it was to receive the BT Sports Channels, nor was there when I rang up to pair the card. 

We both rang the Freesat from Sky number so perhaps there's less 'hard sell' from that department. The lady I spoke to on the Saturday morning was indeed a very courteous Scottish lady.

0 Ratings