cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Bitrates Decrease

So i've noticed in the last few weeks something that i haven't before, and thats what appears to be a decrease in bitrates to the 1080p50 streams.

Ive seen alot more artifacts around the BT SPORT channel logo, and graphics on-screen and during several screen-wipes bwteeen replays and returning to live coverage (During a broadcast of Champions League and Cricket) the macro-blocking is like a multi-coloured chess-board on the screen.

So im wondering if there has been a drop in the bitrates used for BT SPORT HD channels.

Ive been able to replicate this on both an AppleTV and Chromecast, with the same results, which includes also, the green pitch area's of football matches having what looks like macroblocking and just generally looking less good than it used to

Has anyone else noticed this?

(My set-up is an AppleTV 4K outputting in 1080p50 SDR)

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bitrates Decrease

How can you be sure your device is playing the 1080p50 streams @Popeye13_Official ?

Could it maybe be dropping to a lower level to reduce buffering?

I'd be happy to check your device history if you DM me your BT ID.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Sorry for not responding sooner, im a paramedic and been on shift several hours longer than i was supposed to.

AppleTV 4K goes to 1080p50 as-does the Chromecast Ultra, although im more than happy to send you my BT ID for confirmation. However, have the bitrates been lowered or changed?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

No change to the ABR profile, however we're currently migrating to new encoding, packaging, and distribution. Stats show that this has typically resulted in faster video start, and reduced buffering, so I'm surprised to hear it's potentially affecting you poorly.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Im certainly getting faster video start, where-as before, id sometimes be waiting for the entire chunk to process out before the next would allow me into the stream (Usually had this mostly on AppleTV, and even worse on changing channel) but that has stopped being an issues now and changing feels pretty much seemless. Also getting a faster progression to 1080p too ive noticed, where it comes through almost immediately, like an HDTV set-top-box would deliver.

Its just the drop in quality ive noticed, sadly, and i can't help but notice it.

(P.S, also any chance of lowering the position of the app 'block' that's placed toward the top of the picture, as its clashing with channel logo's quite alot, such as tonight on the UEL, where the end of the 'BT SPORT 2 HD LIVE' is seeing the 'LIVE' bit entirely within the block)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I am also seeing a noticeable drop in quality tonight in the PSG v Manchester City match broadcast.   The studio in particular looks awful.  First time I have ever felt that with BT sport coverage (7 year subscriber).  

0 Ratings