cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bry1234
Beginner
Message 1 of 98

Bt Sport Letter - Getting when you don't want!!

Go to solution

First post on board, hopefully this will make sense, just a quick warning for those who may not want Bt Sports.

1st thing i want to make clear is i have shown no interest in Bt Sports, never registered or contacted anybody about it, currently on a rolling monthly contract(unlimited broadband and full bt vision with an old Setanta card, with a black box) due to infinity being constantly pushed back in my area so no current interest in renewing it.

Just came back from holiday and found a letter from bt about Bt Sports, it starts off by telling my Espn is stopping on 31st July and only on Infinity from that date, fine already knew that, then tells me about the app, no interest but fine, then a paragraph which i will quote directly, so bear with me:

"We're going to give you Bt Sport for free, If you haven't already signed up for Bt Sport, we'll automatically give you BT Sport 1 & 2 for free on 16th August. You don't need to do anything. Just tune in to your TV Guide from 16 Aug 2013 and make you sure you keep your current viewing card".

Now fine i thought, strange as i had shown no interest, never registered etc, and not renewing for reasons given above, then i read again and behind the 16 Aug 2013 was a small 1, so straight to small print at bottom of letter, so all Standard till i read this line "We may charge you for Bt Sport after 12 months or ask you to renew your broadband contract" now as i don't really want it, the idea of perhaps paying for something in 12 months that i don't want, warranted a phone call.

Got through to a very professional woman i assume in Bt Sports, who i explained it all to, and what she said was interesting, they were not aware of this letters being sent out, didn't know about it automatically getting added to people who don't want it just because they have unlimited broadband or an old Setanta card, and certainly were not aware of the charging line, so on hold i was put, she came back and said that it seems to be they are assuming i would be renewing my contract, so therefore would not get charged anything, but as she was aware that i was not renewing due to infinity delays, she could not guarantee they would not try to charge me anything after the 1st 12 months if i did not renew, so lots of notes were added to my account saying i did not want Bt Sports and are not renewing until Bt Infinity is added, so therefore i should not get charged and she ended up by saying if it does appear on the 16th Aug or anytime before phone them up, and they should remove it for me.  She admitted it seemed a very underhand way of getting people on Bt Sports without the customers permission any maybe forcing you to renew your broadband contract to avoid paying a Bt Sports fee in 12 months.

I hope this wasn't to boring for you, and may help, just something i thought may help others in same boat as me, Always check small print!!

97 REPLIES
Haribo
Contributor
Message 2 of 98

Re: Bt Sport Letter - Getting when you don't want!!

Go to solution

This is entirely illegal. They have no right to contract you to start paying for something in 12 months that you have never asked for.

0 Ratings
Bry1234
Beginner
Message 3 of 98

Go to solution

Yep, just seemed a tad strange to me, not that i am an expert in this kind of thing, as i said earlier just seems a tad underhand the way they are trying to do it, and i just wanted to make people aware of what could be happening, the woman in Bt seemed as puzzled as i was about it, so its a watching brief now to see if the channels actually appear.

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 4 of 98

Go to solution

@Bry1234 wrote:

Yep, just seemed a tad strange to me, not that i am an expert in this kind of thing, as i said earlier just seems a tad underhand the way they are trying to do it, and i just wanted to make people aware of what could be happening, the woman in Bt seemed as puzzled as i was about it, so its a watching brief now to see if the channels actually appear.

To be honest, I think you, or other people, need to take it further than this forum. That is a serious underhand tactic that has no place in a company like BT.

Not sure who is should be reported to though. Imagine all the clueless people who will suddenly find charges on their bill in 12 months time, who have not asked for any kind of service. It might be one for ofcom or trading standards or whoever.

0 Ratings
Bry1234
Beginner
Message 5 of 98

Go to solution

I will do whatever needs to be done, if it is required, i would assume others will have received this letter and will hopefully be phoning bt the same i have done and it will start the ball rolling, as i said before it all seems a tad dubious behaviour, but i will be watching intently so if the channels appear for me to see, more phone calls with followSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 98

Go to solution
What a steamy little fuss over absolutely nothing.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Message 7 of 98

Go to solution
Why is it that every Guru on this forum has been BT'd (brain turned)?
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 8 of 98

Go to solution

If BT start charging for BT Sport after 12 months you will not be automatically charged for it - you will be offered the chance to subscribe.

They're simpy telling you that they're currently only committed to giving it free for 12 months.

Storm, meet teacup. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 98

Go to solution

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 10 of 98

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@stuartrogerson wrote:
What a steamy little fuss over absolutely nothing.

Unless I've misread this or you and John46 know something different, I can see what the OP is on about.....Smiley Frustrated

I think any right thinking person can.

No company has the right to sign you up to a chargeable service without your express permission to do so. Even a free trial product that kicks in after a month or whatever has the customer specifically signing up for it and agreeing to terms.

0 Ratings