Re: Bt Vision BT SPORTS

Oh or pay to get the socket moved
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

wullie1970 wrote:
They said it would be the only way that my parents could get bt sport was to take infinity plus bt vision or they could download the app and watch it on the PC for free with the original bt package
All they wanted was the card to put into the tv the same as they had done whilst being subscribed to ESPN but told it was in the post to finally only way wa infinity n bt vision

There was an older system to view ESPN that allowed people to use a card and CAM in an existing TV slot. This system is no longer available for ESPN (which is now run by BT as part of the BT Sport pack). So I'm sorry to say that wish is just not possible now. If you want to use a viewing card you need a black BT Vision+ box and an active BTTV subscription. There is no other way to use the viewing card.

The statement about them needing Infinity may be confusing though. To receive ESPN, then yes they need Infinity. ESPN is no longer transmitted over the aerial. BT Sport 1&2 are transmitted both over Infinity and the aerial. But, as I mentioned earlier, if they are on a relay TV transmitter then BT Sport 1&2 wouldn't be available. They would need to be on a main transmitter. A simple test for this is to check if they can receive ITV4 and Yesterday which are also only from main transmitters

Anyway, they have now had Infinity installed so the intricacies of receiving a service via the aerial and using a viewing card is not really relevant any more (unless they were to raise a formal complaint about mis-selling of Infinity). That's why I was asking whether they were being charged more for Infinity broadband compared to the previous broadband they had. Hopefully not. 

As a previous poster mentioned, for the service over Infinity BT will only officially support a cable connection between the HomeHub and Vision+ box. They will always be told this by BT over the phone. This doesn't mean power line adapters won't work. The best approach is to just wait until the box is set up and then try things using power line adapters first (if they have access to them) and see if it works or not. If not then the issue of laying a permanent cable needs to be looked at.

A lot of your previous posts seem to be about the way Infinity was installed. I agree that if you had been around then you may well have been able to talk the engineer into putting the master socket in a more appropriate position near power sockets and also avoiding the need for any long cables. However, it's not really BT's fault that you weren't there on the day. You could try complaining to BT about the way the installation was completed, but I doubt BT would arrange another visit and socket move for free. I suppose you don't know unless you ask. 

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

The thing is he asked my mum were the electrical sockets were which was pointed out but my parents have GSD'S so she stayed in the kitchen with them whilst the guy installed the infinity.

Yes they have these power sockets plugged in to router and one into the bt vision box but I was told when I called up to Email Open Reach but I cant find an address. I was also told that these sockets wont work the box must be plugged from the router directly into the bt vision box.

They have to pay £5 per month for vision and if they want it in HD an extra £3.00 as this deal is over even though they inititionally signed up in June when I did but I have sky and got the channels through this and also on HD for FREE.

I have tried to talk them into going to sky freeveiw and getting the card with a one of payment then getting the sports for free but they said they cant work vision so not wanting to get a dish fitted on the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 20

Here you go. As if to order, 1 minute after my post someone else posts about BT Sports over Infinity and using power line adapters.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/Remote-hub/td-p/983914

As you can see, some people have a far bigger problem than just laying a cable around the same room.

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Thanks.

The problem with the cable on top of the carpet is a safety issue trip hazard and the enegineer should know what he is actually doing instead to causing extra work and expense

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 20

Putting the power line adapters versus cable issue to one side, here are a couple of things that might make them feel a bit happier about moving to Infinity.

As well as the BT Sport channels they should also automatically get set up for the four public service broadcaster HD channels over Infinity (BBC1-HD, BBC2-HD, ITV-HD, Ch4-HD). This should be a free bonus.

If the free BT Sport and free PSB HD channels all work correctly over Infinity (and they get used to the box) then they could also consider in future adding the other 18 extra entertainment channels over Infinity at an exra cost of just £2 per month. TV Essential Extra is £7 per month compared to TV Essential at £5. From a sports point of view these include British Eurosport 1&2.

Regarding the extra £3 for the three BT Sport channels in HD. If they definitely made an order for the BT Sport through BTTV before Aug 1st then I would hassle BT to fulfil their part of the deal and give the HD access free for 12 months. Having an original order reference number and date would help. I appreciate it's a case of arguing over the phone or complaining via email which can be a lot of trouble, but others have successfully got BT to change their stance on that and waive the £3 for 12 months. It's a case of those who shout loudest get what they want I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

@wullie1970 wrote:

Thanks.

The problem with the cable on top of the carpet is a safety issue trip hazard and the enegineer should know what he is actually doing instead to causing extra work and expense

I believe BT's official stance is that they will tack cables around skirting boards and door frames. They should only leave them loose if the customer specifically asks them to do this. They will not lay them under carpets as some customers then put heavy furniture on top of them and it also makes future access more difficult. Plus it can be difficult to do in some circumstances.

In my case the master socket was on a different floor round the other side of the house. However I convinced the engineer to move it down to where an existing extension socket was in the lounge. This was in the opposite corner to the TV equipment, so I asked him to just leave a loose cable (they asked me to sign to confirm that I had asked for that) and I just laid an ethernet cable under the carpet myself later on when I was sure it was all working correctly. 

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Still NO SPORTS NO SUPRISE'S THERE

Spoiler

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

My parents were not asked where they would like the socket. They were told to leave it laying on top of the carpet from overseas or lift the carpet themselves to run the ethernet cable.

I have emailed BT myself regarding this problem that so easliy could have been avoided had the socket been placed at the tv rather than the opposite side of the room as it was a shorter route to the tv and didint have to run this cable up door frames and along a skirting board like has happened he only had to go through the wall and 3 mtrs maybe to the back off the TV instead off maybe 7-8 mtrs he has run.

Still NO SPORTS which I am not suprised at another cook and bull story from BT by stating it would be working for today

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 20

As I said in an earlier post you will need two updates, one for the new look Vision service, and the multicast update for the Sports channels. Have you now been upgraded to the new look service?

0 Ratings