cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Bt Vision BT SPORTS

I am Actually posting this message on Behalf off my PARENTS whom have had issue's from before the 1st August.

My mother and Father used to subscribe to ESPN each month and had a veiwing card which they put into the back of the TV to enable them to watch the Football.

Bt Announces this new great SERVICE they will be providing and if you subscribe before end of July sorry forgot the Date you also got the SPORTS in HD FREE. My mother was told at the start that they could purchase a veiwing card for £10.00 and would be sent in due course prior to BT SPORTS going live.

The 1st August came and went no card another good few hours per day being passed from various parts of the world to department to department then back to the uk only to be told sorry the cards been lost in the post they would issue a new one.

Again a few days later my mother spent another few hours being passed round the world to various departments to be told she couldnt get BT SPORTS via a veiwng card unless they bought BT Vision my parents are elderly and had BT VISION in 2009 and could not work it at all and once the deal ended they closed this down as it was wasted money each month paying for a service thye couldnt use or understand.

They were then told to download the BT AP to enable my father to watch the FOOTBALL on the Laptop My father wouldnt know how to even turn a pc on let allow be able figure out how to download apps again your talking this is around 15 hours of wasted time on the phone trying to sort out BT SPORTS AND ESPN.

Finally my younger brother contacted BT and were told if they took BT infinity and BT VISION again this would enable them to get the SPORTS but if they wanted it on HD they would have to pay extra as this offer is now finished BT Y PARENTS ordered the sports well before the deal ended in faact it was the exact same day as I ordered my bt sports and you can check by the number of calls my parents and brother has made to BT from before the 1st August 2013 and yet its still a daily ritual. Bt was advised at the time of the order my parents BT VISON box was the one they had from 2009 yes this will be fine you will get the channels no problem once installed

At LAST the engineer arrived to install BT INFINITY and also BT vision on the 28th August. Firstly the TV is in one corner of the room the engineer installed the new BT Phone Socket at the other side of the room after running a cable round the skirting boards and up the facings and drilling through the wall when he could have drilled staright through the wall and put the new BT socket at the back of the TV for the router etc. The engineer advised them to lift the carpet to run an Ethernet cable under and up and into the Bt Vision box to enable them to get the sports.

This guy dosent know what he was talking about as there is 2 sockets plugged into the router and it sends a wirless signal to the other plug which had the ethernet cable into the BT vison box which stated connected to Bt BROADBAND and are able to download programs but still NO SPORTS OR ESPN.

A message over the screen states go to Channel 941 which does not exist at all to activate the veiwing card I called Bt tonight and was transferred to india and the mannerism was disgusting and was told that due to this box being the older box they would have to migrate something to update the software why was this not doen prior to the connection Now I was told they will defiantly have BT SPORTS AND ESPN on the 4TH SEPTMEBER.

I tell you BT If there is not BT sports by this new date you can call and take all your apparatis out the house and cancel all contrats as my parents both live off a pension and money is tight enough without paying for a service they are not getting for 12 or 18months as I couldnt make this call handler out when he said about the length of the contarct.

Also if the sports is not on by this date I will be contacting OFCOM, Watchdog and consumer direct to put in comaplints about the standards of service my parents have been given, They should be compensated for time spent on the phone due to the lack off knowledge and experiance of the call handlers.

I look forward to your responce to this farce off a service being provided and look forward to your reply to see what will now be said that has to happen......................

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Bt Vision BT SPORTS

how come they say its free to all bb customers , then say later be told you have to have a vision box and then be told its only free as an app on a pc , so what part of free is does free mean
0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Just noticed someone has actually been given a BT Veiwing card can you explain how you can do this for one person but not another or does it just depend on the mood your in during the call ??
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

If your parents are on Imfinity they do not need a viewing card. The sports channels will appear on ch 507-512 after the multicast update. There is no HD sports on DTT.

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

My parents don't even have this channel number on bt vision box either as they have been told this cable must be hard wired from the infinity box directly to vision box and to leave cable on top of carpet this answer is not on either from bt the engineer could have run the bt socket to the back of the tv as it was a shorter route than the one he installed and the card states go to channel 941 or 901 to activate the card again it don't have this channel number
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

I know your parents do not have ch 507 - 512, that's because their box hasn't been updated to the multicast software. Once updated, and you mention 4 September, then these channels will be visible and ch 58 & 59 will dissappear. Therefore they do not need a viewing card as all three BT sports channels, including HD, will come via the broadband.

If they use powerline adaptors then it's possible they can still receive the channels via this method, but it's hit and miss whether they will, which is why BT recommend using an ethernet connection from the Vision box to the hub. Anyway you won't know until the box has been updated.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 20

Hmmmm. Re-reading your original post it looks as if their box is running on the older "classic" build, and not the "new look" build. In that case their box will need updating once to the "new look" build, and again to the "multicast" software to enable them to receive the channels via broadband.

And that's assuming they have the black Pace box, if it's the silver box that will not work at all.

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Hi yes it's a black box but the one they got in 09 BT was told this yet told it would work. If it needs hard wired why did the engineer put the socket at the other side of the room which was more cable than through the wall next to the tv as there was a double electrical socket common sense would have shown here that it would have been easier had he asked my parents prior to doing this then to say to lift the carpet for the Ethernet cable when there was no need for any off this to take place or a cable laying on top of the carpet making a trip hazard I really wish that I had been there for the installation rather than all this rigmarole. It makes you wonder if anyone at bt actually care about customers safety or just interested in making a profit. WHy do they have to pay for bt vision when they don't want this just bt sport and ESPN also now if they want sport in HDTV it's an extra five pounds per month that bt want because they are now saying they had to subscribe before such a date yet there contract was renewed in June when first asking about this viewing card but all this can be seen from the amount of calls made about the sports
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

One aspect of this tale that slightly concerns me is that BT stated that in order to receive BT Sport they had to upgrade to Infinity. Did BT give a reason why this was the case?

There are two ways of getting the BT Sports channels on a BT Vision+ box. Both require a BT box and a BTTV subscription, the cheapest subscription being the £5 TV Essential package.

(1)  Receiving BT Sport 1&2 via the TV aerial on channels 58 and 59.

In order to get these channels via the TV aerial you need the following.

(a)  A black BT Vision+ box.  (the old silver ones don't support it)

(b)  An up to date version of the standard software installed on the box.  (the migration BT have scheduled for the 4th)

(c)  A BT Sport viewing card.  (£10 for a new card, though some people have got existing BT cards working)

(d)  A signal from a main transmitter.  (relay transmitters don't transmit the BT Sport channels)

(2)  Receiving BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN (plus optional HD versions) via the Infinity broadband on channels 507 - 512.

In order to get these channels you need the following.

(a)  A black BT Vision+ box or a BT Youview box.  (the old silver ones don't support it)

(b)  An up to date version of the multicast software installed on the box.  (might require a further update post migration)

(c)  Infinity broadband with a cable connection between the HomeHub and the Vision+ box. (though some get PLA's to work)

(d)  The Infinity broadband for that line supports the fibre multicast service.

Are they paying anything extra for upgrading the broadband to Infinity? The Infinity connection does provide a better service as then all three sports channels are available along with the optional HD versions (£3 extra if not on free offer). The SD pictures are also slightly better quality than the aerial versions. However, I would like to think that people upgrade to Infinity because they have a clear understanding of the situation and options and choose to do so, rather than a salesperson just telling them that they need to without giving reasons why.

0 Ratings
wullie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

They said it would be the only way that my parents could get bt sport was to take infinity plus bt vision or they could download the app and watch it on the PC for free with the original bt package

They have again been told today that this box must be hard wired into the router but the engineer fitted this on the other side of the room he ran more cable than it would have taken to put the socket at the tv

They have 2 options now
Pay a carpet fitter to relay the newly laid carpet or leave a cable trailing over the top this meaning it will cause a trip hazard when all this could have been avoided had he used his common sense as the box will not be able to update if its not plugged in

All they wanted was the card to put into the tv the same as they had done whilst being subscribed to ESPN but told it was in the post to finally only way wa infinity n bt vision
0 Ratings