cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 40

Re: Buffering and Stuttering on Macs viewing BT Sport

I seem to remember that the default was the standard player and I would have needed to select the enhanced player but the standard player "is plenty good enough for me" as well.

0 Ratings
oldtimer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 40

Further to these comments I have decided to take my 2010 macbook pro to where I can get wifi away from my property to see if the problem still occurs there.   I suppose if it does the problem lies firmly with the laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ploppy
Contributor
Message 13 of 40

That'll be an interesting experiment but I don't agree with your conclusion.  I'd say if the problem goes away with someone else's wifi, then it's either your HomeHub or the quality of your internet.  If it stays the same then it's not that - that's all you can deduce.  There may still be an issue with the Enhanced Player on your Mac.  I have no idea how the enhanced player works, but I would at least hope that it would degrade gracefully if it couldn't cope e.g. I'd be happy if it degraded to SD rather than displaying one frame every couple of seconds.  Either that or BT need to specify minimum system requirements for a pc/mac.

0 Ratings
oldtimer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 40

My internet is ok well over 33 mbps download although upload is below the average for around here.  Iplayer, SkyGo, etc are ok no problems viewing, Mobile and Tablet both play BT sport ok. I can't see that it is the router as everything else works perfectly. Anyway I'll wait and see what happens using a different wifi.  Incidentally does anyone know how to select the unenhanced version?

0 Ratings
oldtimer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 40

My internet is ok well over 33 mbps download although upload is below the average for around here.  Iplayer, SkyGo, etc are ok no problems viewing, Mobile and Tablet both play BT sport ok. I can't see that it is the router as everything else works perfectly. Anyway I'll wait and see what happens using a different wifi.  Incidentally does anyone know how to select the unenhanced version?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 16 of 40

My internet's fine too - Infinity 1, over 60Mbps, so it's unlikely to be that.  I don't doubt that my laptop is underpowered but what bugs me is that most streaming technologies delivering live video are rate adaptive, so they should degrade gracefully.  The enhanced player degrades but it's not graceful in the slightest - it degrades to a sequence of still images.  I'm quite happy to use the un-enhanced player - will look for a link next time it defaults to the enhanced player.

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 40

Hi, having started this thread it is good to know I am not alone in having this issue. Yesterday a BT sent me a new router as the one I had was pretty old. It looks great but has not fixed the issue with the sport. I have spoken twice to the BT Support and they are pinning the blame on my computer. It is a 27'' imac running High Sierra. It is a 2009 model so admittedly it is not that new but my feeling is it should still be able to deliver a smooth stream even if not at the highest resoloution. My work comuter is the same model but 2012 annd it is fine. Like one of the other posters to this thread I am seeing that the pre-recorded content seems to play fine it is only the live channels that buffer. The interface of the video player that delivers the pre-recorded content looks different and I am curious to know if there is any way the "pre-recorded" player can be used to view the live streams. I would like to see if this makes a difference to the quality. 

I have been pretty insistent on trying to get this resolved and I have a call sheduled for later with a more senior member of the support team so I will let you know if that achieves any progress.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 18 of 40

Excellent.  I'm of the same opinion as you - either BT need to say "your machine can't support this" (which would be a poor choice) or it needs to degrade garacefully by reducing the resolution or not supporting the extra live content things (like multicam replays and stuff).  Good to hear that you're speaking to someone more senior at BT - although I suspect for a real in-depth answer/solution, someone would need to speak to deltatre, who supply the Diva platform.  Not sure if I can post a URL, but it's deltatre dot com.

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 40

Interesting, it seems the pre-recorded video is delivered using a viewer made by Brightcove. How did you find out about deltare?

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 40

I spoke to Deltatre on the phone, and they asked me to dend them details of the issue which I have done....
0 Ratings