Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ploppy
Contributor
Message 21 of 40

Re: Buffering and Stuttering on Macs viewing BT Sport

I found it was deltatre by right-clicking on the player (ctr-click on my laptop).  I actually did that a while ago to see if BT were still using Flash.  There are 3 items in the pull-down list you get when you right-click, the topmost being "Diva" followed by a version number.  I just googled "Diva player" or something - I think on their Diva page is the exact player that's used by BT (with Messi in the picture).  Well done you, for being proactive and contacting them directly.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 22 of 40

Just watching Chelsea Barca with the un-enhanced player - pretty perfect.  FYI, you can avoid the enhanced player by choosing to "Watch Live, BT Sport 2" - the link's at the bottom of the BT Sport page.  If you choose specifically to watch the match itself, rather than the channel, from anywhere on the BT Sport website it defaults to the enhanced player.  Result!

Update: well, it's not perfect by any means.

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 40

Unfortunatly the promised call from BT never came. I took a laptop home and ended up watching the Chelsea match on that via wi-fi and it was fine. Very occassionally the picture would lose sharpness but it never buffered. I am prepared to accept that my desktop may be part of the issue. Maybe the viewer does not work as well within this config even though it has a faster processer, more ram and a more recent OS (High Sierra) than the laptop so you would have thought that it should be OK. I seem to remember watching a game a few weeks ago and there was a link to a Beta player, I have not see that since, does anyone know how to access it? I do suspect that the player is the core of the issue, and I would like to be able to test other players on my desktop.

I will continue to badger BT, I was hoping that there may be some support from them via this forum. Is there anyone from BT reading this?

0 Ratings
oldtimer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 40

Not surprised that no-one contacted you from BT. I had two text messages saying that I would get a call within 48 hours of the text arriving but nothing 3  weeks later!  And in answer to your other question - I would say no-one from BT reads these messages despite BT supposedly supporting the forum.  Now to add insult to injury BT have charged me for BT Sport despite it being free as part of an offer they gave me to keep my custom.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 25 of 40

@dandanthesushiman Sadly, not surprised by BT's non-response.  In BT Sport's case, I daresay having an old-ish laptop doesn't help.  However, I don't know if you've ever watched, let's say, a third-party, ahem, football streaming service - I wouldn't obviously - but my friend who has an identical laptop to me has done so and been able to watch high quality streaming with no problem.  So, I'm sure my laptop's capable enough - just there's something with the way BT stream it that my laptop struggles with.  Maybe it's the fact that it's being viewed in a browser rather than a dedicated player because, come to think of it, I can watch Sky Sports via Now TV on my laptop no problem.  But that has a dedicated player as well.

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 40

Just to keep this alive....I spoke to someone else at BT but in the end no real progress. I believe they are aware of the issue but past some fairly vague re-assurences that this is being worked on and it would be worth periodically checking for improvements the best suggestion they had was to watch it on my iPad as that seems to work. I dont think the person I was speaking to was in any position to actually try or suggest anything new. My best suggestion it to keep bombarding them with complaints in the hope that this will motivate them to try and solve the issue. I do not think anyone from BT is reading this so I think getting on the phone is the best bet.

0 Ratings
dandanthesushiman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 40

A further update. I got in contact with an expert BT Support person called Gemma. She has been really helpfull, she has phoned a number of times and has been monitioring my connection. She found some issues on the line that was causing pretty big fluctuations in the speed I was getting. She forwarded my issue to an expert network triage team and changed some settings on my line to optimize for stabilty over speed. The situation has definetly improved. I watched a game on Wednesday 28th Feb and it was pretty much stutter free.  She advised checking an upcoming free to air broadcast as this will use a different player to the regular one. 

I am still not 100% convinced this is entirely resolved. After everything looking good my connection dropped a few times yesterday evening so there may still be some issues.

What this has shown me is that the key is to find a good support person, then it is possible to improve things.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 28 of 40

Just to keep this alive - again.  I just finished watching Leicester v Chelsea in Chrome on the BBC website - pretty damn perfect.  So, BBC is perfect, Sky Sports via the Now TV Player is perfect but BT Sport (even the un-enhanced player) is absolutely shocking.  I get one frame every 2 seconds (which I can tell by watching the match clock) - it's like watching a series of stills where you have to imagine the intervening missing frames yourself.  Something is seriously wrong with it.  The BT player must be doing something significantly different to these other players - I'm having a hard time imagining what this might be (it's only a video stream, surely).  What I know is that the BBC player uses DASH - it's perfect.  And the BT Player (from deltatre) invokes VTDecoderXPCService - and it's rubbish.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 29 of 40

Where's the Edit post gone? Anyway, to be clear, I said that the BT Player is by deltatre - that's the enhanced one. It's the un-enhanced that invokes VTDecoderXPCService and I don't know whose that is. Regardless, it's rubbish.
0 Ratings
fredhew
Message 30 of 40

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, stuttering on Imac, used to be perfect only started going wrong last few months. BT Sport is fine on iPad, good internet connection and download speeds. Typical BT **bleep**! 

0 Ratings