cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confused_scoob
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Can you get BT Sport on the vision+ box if you use powerline adapters?

Go to solution

?

Because I got the youview box this morning and to my horror you can't receive BT Sport unless you directly conect it with a router..

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can you get BT Sport on the vision+ box if you use powerline adapters?

Go to solution

If you've got the powerline adaptors, then try it and see.

Nobody knows what speed your powerline adaptors will actually achieve in your home.  It may be nowhere near the claimed speed of 200 or 500mbps.

If you're lucky, it will work.  If not, it won't.

0 Ratings
L1RHO
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
It does work with a You View box but I wanted Sky sports, wrong box and the BT Vision + will not work with powerline adapters so they say even though I can get HD BT sport and HD films so after the worst customer care in the world and 7 transfers and 4 hrs 40min on the phone (O by the way BT can't phone outside the UK, I had to phone from Holland) I have cancelled my BT vision. and even they can't get that right see email below

This was sent at 17:45hrs on the 19th Aug see below for the date and time I need to respond.
Important

Dear Mr.

Please read this information about stopping your BT service.

We're stopping your service on 19 Aug 2013. If you don't want your service to stop, get in touch with us on 0800 800 150 as soon as you can. The sooner you call us the easier it is to change things.

If we don't hear from you by midday on 19 Aug 2013, these services will stop later that day:
BT TV
And these services will also stop:
BT Vision Essential
BT Vision - PVR
BT Vision PVR
BT Vision - PPV
BT Vision Default - PPV
BT Sport HD Pack
A note about your bill
If you're stopping all your BT services, we'll send you a final bill within 14 days of you telling us. If you've still got some BT services, such as a rented phone, you'll carry on getting bills as usual for these.

We can't refund your line rental
If you've paid £141 in advance for 12 months' line rental, we can't refund this as it was a special discount for paying up front.

You could still watch BT Sport for free on the app and online
Even though your BT Sport and BT TV services are stopping, you could still watch BT Sport for free on the app and online because you're a BT broadband customer. All you need to do is sign up for the BT Sport App. To find out more, go to btsport.com.

If you want to keep getting BT Sport on your TV
Just call us on 0800 800 150 before midday on 19 Aug 2013 to let us know you want to keep your BT Sport and BT TV services.

Need some help?
Go to www.bt.com/help

Once again, we're sorry you're leaving us.

Yours sincerely,

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

BT do not support the use of powerline adaptors so the "will not work" will be the response you will receive. Fact is they do work for a lot of people on here, BUT NOT ALL. If you're getting the multicast channels on your YouView box, then you'll probably get them on the Vision box, but it'll be at your risk. All you had to do was tell CS your box will be wired, and they would have accepted it.

On the subject of Sky Sports, I'm also subscribed and I can tell you that, although SD only, the picture quality is superb with no digital artifacts that you find on the usual mpeg 2 offering on Sky. Only Sky HD will better it. This is no boubt helped by the box upscaling to 1080i. If your cancelling I think you've missed out.

0 Ratings
L1RHO
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

This does not take away the abysmal customer service, and it is mainly that is what cause me to cancel. A better service and I would more than likely have remained. I asked for compensation for spending over 145 euros in one session using a mobile phone from Holland that lasted over 2 hours (£12.00 is what they offered) 1 hrs 45 min was time waiting and during this period I was pasted between 4 operators the final one that could give me an answer did not have enough authority to persuade me to stop with BT. So to say I was disgruntled with there customer care would defiantly be to mild.

Thank you for your reply.

If BT would like to contact me then I would maybe reconsider. But they are probably not bothered about individual customers. All I can say to that is that Shell thought the same over the Brent Spar.

Regards

0 Ratings
Ossie
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I have a Vision+ box close to my TV and the latest router in the hall - around 30 ft apart - and I pay for BT Infinity. I don't want to have any exposed cabling. What's the problem with getting a wireless connection?

0 Ratings
TractorGirl327
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I am very annoyed

We signed up for BT Vision thinking we were going to be able to watch BT Sport on the TV

We also have the Powerline adapters because our Home Hub is upstairs and the TV is downstairs

BT Sport shows up on the TV Guide but it says I need a viewing card to watch it

In the BT Vision User guide it says:

Extra TV, BT Sport and Sky Sports Channels

Can I use Powerline adapters with these channels?

No.  Channels that use your broadband connection don't support Powerline adapters, so you'll need to connect your Hub and BT Vision box using an Ethernet cable

THE REASON I AM USING THE POWERLINE ADAPTERS IS BECAUSE THE HUB IS TOO FAR AWAY FROM THE BT VISION BOX TO USE A RUDDY CABLE!!!!

What can I do?  If I get a Viewing card will I then be able to get BT Sport?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TractorGirl327

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Tractorgirl -- I'm sure someone will come along to help you -- it would help know whether you have infinity or not. A second question is as to whether you ordered Bt sport - although free with BT its generally only added if specifically ordered,

If you don't have infinity the Bt sport would be delivered over the aerial from a a main Freeview transmitter requirng a viewing card. In that  case whether you use powerline adaptors or not wouldn't matter. If you have infinity then Bt sport would be delivered over the broadband - you may or may not get reliable broadband channels using powerline adaptors. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@TractorGirl327 wrote:

I am very annoyed

We signed up for BT Vision thinking we were going to be able to watch BT Sport on the TV

We also have the Powerline adapters because our Home Hub is upstairs and the TV is downstairs

BT Sport shows up on the TV Guide but it says I need a viewing card to watch it

There are currently four main software situations for a BT Vision+ box.

(A)  A silver box running the Classic software  

--------------

(B)  A black box running the Classic software

(C)  A black box running the New Look standard software  (required for BT Sport over TV aerial with viewing card, 58-59)

(D)  A black box running the New Look multicast software  (required for BT Sport over Infinity, 507-512)

BTTV-Classic-v-NewLook.jpg

So to follow up on what zulu17 was asking,

Are you on Infinity or normal broadband?

Is your box running the Classic or New Look software?

Do channels 58-59 or channels 507-512 appear in the channel list (Guide > Yellow)?

The fact that your box is mentioning a viewing card means you are probably running (B) or (C). If you are on Infinity and want the sports channels over the broadband then you need to be running (D) and BT need to send a software update to the box. The use of the powerline adapters (or not) is a separate thing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TractorGirl327
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Are you on Infinity or normal broadband?  Infinity

Is your box running the Classic or New Look software?  New look 

Do channels 58-59 or channels 507-512 appear in the channel list (Guide > Yellow)? look58-59

So do I just ask BT to send an update or is there a way I can do it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TractorGirl327

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings