cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Cancelled Sky Subscription Since Ordering BT Sport - Watch on Youview?

Hi All,

I've been a BT customer since February and and have Infinity 1 with BT Youview. When BT Sport was announced, I placed an order to watch it on my Sky box, giving my viewing card number etc.

However, I have now cancelled my Sky subscription and would instead like to watch BT Sport on my Youview box. I have assumed that I would automatically get BT Sport on my Youview box as I had ordered the channels and have Infinity, but the channels are yet to appear and I'm worried my assumption is wrong!

What do I need to do to get BT Sport on my Youview box? I'm worried that I'm going to miss the start of the channel on 1st August.

Thanks

Matt

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
oldbluey
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cancelled Sky Subscription Since Ordering BT Sport - Watch on Youview?

I was in exactly the same situation as you are so I contacted BT Customer Support 3 times and was given conflicting information depending on who I was speaking to each time.
I eventually asked for my Sky viewing card details to be removed from my account and was then assured that this had been done and that the Sport channels would appear on my BT YouView box "tommorrow".
That was over a week ago and there is still no sign of the channels on my box.
In the meantime Sky rang me and offered the full Sky TV package ( movies, sport - the lot ) free of charge for 6 months! I accepted the offer so at least I know that I will be watching footie in HD even if BT Sport never materialises until next January!
I am impressed with BT Infinity and the YouView box ( without the Sports channels) but I am shocked at just how lousy the customer support is from BT. That factor alone makes me wish that I had not left Sky Fibre, Talk and TV in the first place.
I was always uneasy in subscribing to Sky because of the Murdoch connection but I fear that I have made a bad move in joining BT.
0 Ratings
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for the reply. Starting to wish I didn't leave Sky now - I only moved to BT because Sky Fibre wasn't available in my area (but now it is!)

I've now sent BT an email (through this site) to ask them if I can switch from the Sky box to the Youview box. Heaven knows what reply I'll get!

It seems to me that the whole BT TV thing is too complicated (even for BT staff!), and I feel the biggest downfall is having two different delivery systems (Youview and BT Vision boxes). Things would be so much more straightforward if everyone had a Youview box!

I really hope they manage to resolve this for me before the footie season starts!

0 Ratings
oldbluey
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Perhaps you will get an offer from Sky over the phone soon so that you will get free sport from them until the new year. I had Sky Fibre and although it is the same product as Infinity my speeds are better since I switched to BT. I assume that is because the BT router is more efficient than the Sky Fibre one.
So far as I am concerned and however good BT Sport turns out to be (if I ever get to see it) I will switch back to Sky when my contract here is up.
0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

BT and And Sky are seperate even on the Sky platform. You will keep BT sports on there even after you sky subscription is done( unless you cancle BT sports) so you'll still get BT sports via your sky box. Also unless you have infinity, you won't be watching BT sports in HD without your sky box.

0 Ratings
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

That's true, but I was hoping I could remove my Sky box all together and stick it in the loft. I guess I'll just have to put up with the inconvenience of switching between my Youview and Sky boxes until the channels appear.

0 Ratings
tyland
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

The Mods have answered the question in the thread I started which is now on page 2 "switching from Sky to Youview"

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

@oldbluey wrote:

In the meantime Sky rang me and offered the full Sky TV package ( movies, sport - the lot ) free of charge for 6 months! I accepted the offer so at least I know that I will be watching footie in HD even if BT Sport never materialises until next January!

I presume you had to sign up to Sky for 12 months?

I also presume money is no object to you as you are now subscribing to 2 systems, BT & Sky.

BT until end January?

Sky, pay 6 months for 12 months viewing?

Surely that is more expensive than just sticking with BT and getting them to sort out your subscription?

I also believe it is in all subscribers interests that we encourage BT to provide a successful system as in the long run if BT don't succeed Sky will have no competition and the 12 months for the price of 6 months deals will be gone forever.

All the best

0 Ratings
oldbluey
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I have not had to recontract with Sky for another 12 months and can cancel with 31 days notice at any tme I wish. With regard to your remark about my financial situation I can only say that I am an elderly state pensioner who worked for nearly 50 years which has given me reasonable financial security but certainly no great wealth.

In signing up with BT I was hoping to dispense with my Sky box or have it repositioned to 19.2e (to watch German footie and F1 subscription free) and to use the BT YouView box for my main viewing including BT Sport and a limited range of subscription channels (eventually).

The move to BT Infinity and Talk has cost me slightly more than I was paying for Sky Fibre and Talk but I was hoping to save money on my viewing package.

I pay £5 per month to BT for the basic TV option via YouView box and originally hoped to be able to view BTSports and pay for a few more channels.

This will not happen so long as my YouView box (which is set to accept automatic updates)  WILL NOT UPDATE. I have phoned, emailed and had live chat sessions with BT several times and have never received any useful or relevant information or reassurance back.

In the short time I have been a BT customer I have been shocked at how unhelpful and rude BT customer service staff have been.

My cut price Sky subscription will at least allow me to watch some sport because at the rate things are going at the moment I will not be watching any Premiership football via my YouView box - because it does not appear to be working correctly.

Even IF it does eventually work I have resolved that I will not recontract with BT in about 18 months time because the customer service is absolutely abysmal.

I hope that explains my situation clearly enough.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 10 of 16

@oldbluey wrote:

In the short time I have been a BT customer I have been shocked at how unhelpful and rude BT customer service staff have been.  

I'm afraid that's pretty mcuh standard. 

BT is a company that seems to have zero requirement for its staff to speak politely, have any ability to do their job or even know about the products they sell. They're also prone to making stuff up and telling outright lies.

0 Ratings