cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Cannot cast live streams on iOS BT Sport App to LG TV over AirPlay

This has worked before but for the last Champions League matches and since then, I receive a VC011 error. 
I’m assuming  my set up and contract is fine as I can cast catch up streams onto the LG TV via AirPlay. 

I was able to cast using Chromecast onto a Sony TV as a workaround but this is not ideal but I believe confirms that the issue is with iOS BT Sport App and LGTV AirPlay for live broadcasts. 
Performed the usual rituals - reboot iPhone, log out/log in, tried different iOS device (iPad). 

Note that there was a recent iOS update but not sure if that is related  I don’t have an iOS device on the previous patch.  Have not checked LG version/update history  

Appreciate any comments/suggestions   I have a workaround but posted in case anyone else has this issue but no other option for casting  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cannot cast live streams on iOS BT Sport App to LG TV over AirPlay

Hi @GeeCee1 

I suspect the issue is that you are not airplaying to an Apple TV  box but rather using the Apple TV app that is supplied via your TV App Store/software updates.  

Believe that whilst Apple TV Box would be supported , the TV ‘s own Apple  TV app would not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Thanks @zulu17 for your response. 

According to this link https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tv/what-is-screen-casting-or-mirroring-watch-smartphone-tv-11364285... casting BT Sport over AirPlay is supported. Additionally, it worked before and casting catch up/highlights still works fine - it’s live broadcasts that fail. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Hi @GeeCee1 

That article I believe was written last year before  Apple TV Apps were launched on Samsung , LG TVs. So the context would be Airplay between IOS device and Apple TV box.

it is an article rather than a definitive BT  Support Help page so as with all news articles will reflect the situation at the time of publishing. It doesn’t mention the Apple TV apps provided on TVs as they didn’t exist at the time.

The airplay to Apple TV boxes would be supported  but as I mentioned in my earlier reply I don’t believe the Tv apps  for Apple TV are supported so I am not surprised that you do not get the full functionality that you would get if you used an Apple TV box for airplaying your BT Sport Content. those tV apps for Apple TV were I think primarily rolled out to provide a wider range of devices for Apple TV+.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

I too am having this exact same problem. I can no longer cast live feeds from BT sport app. on my IOS device to LG OLED tv using  AirPlay. It has been working fine, but for the last few weeks live streaming no longer works,  i can however still stream highlights etc from BT sport,  just not live feeds. I get the VC011 error.

I have tried all the normal resets, of router, updates for TV, signing out and back in on BT sport, different IOS devices, but no difference.  Very frustrating.

Anybody else having the same problem and finding a fix, please post. 

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Yup, addd me to the list. 

Had an LG C9 for 2 months. Airplay of BT sport was working in December, although it was a bit unstable. 

Now all I get is errors. Lots of other people on here and AV Forums seem to be reporting similar issues. 

Guess what, BT and LG do not care!

There are other apps the do not work, such as Google Play Movies. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 7 of 12

Hi all - I'm afraid although it may have worked previously, we don't support casting to LG TV's, so when changes happen in the LG environment or on our own app, it won't necessarily continue to work. Sorry for the inconvenience here - we do support Chromecast devices and Airplay to Apple TV's. We also have a large screen app on Apple TVs, Samsung TV's, Xbox, and PlayStation - if you have any of those devices to watch on the big screen.

We're looking at launching on more platforms too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

BT Sport seem to be heading backwards. Used to work on far more platforms but now unless you have Apple TV, Samsung TV, Chromecast , X-Box or PS you are not watching BT Sport on your TV. This is a ridiculous situation for those of us that have watched on out TVs for months/years perfectly until the last few weeks. Can we have less of the excuses that don't help any of us and more of the fixes please. It worked before so make it work again. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 9 of 12

Hi Colonel_Klinck - this time last year we didn't have apps on any large screen platforms (now on 4 and used by hundreds of thousands of customers) or HDR/4K available on our apps. We've also launched a new Enhanced player last month and a brand new small screen app today too. So we think we are making strides forward rather than backwards! 🙂

However, I understand your frustration with this working before but not now. As I mentioned, it wasn't supported before ie. we didn't develop it to work on LG TV inbuilt cast, so if there are changes in the LG software (with those regular updates) or indeed a change to the way we cast to Chromecast (a hugely more used platform) because of a Google update, then it can have an adverse affect on other things which we never supported- in this case the ability to cast to LG.

However, I understand the irritation and I'll raise this with the developers to see whether it's something we're able to address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

It's not LG. My C9 software version and the version before played BT Sport perfectly until 3 weeks ago. A friend still has his C9 on the previous version and it doesn't play on his anymore. Before this happened the built in web browser played the BT Sport website live channels and enhanced players perfectly.  This is something BT Sport has done. You say "we never supported LG" but the fact is it worked perfectly and now it doesn't. You've changed something so change it back. Why should I have to now buy an Apple TV, which is the cheapest of the options to watch a service I already pay for?? It's almost like you think BT Sport is doing us a favour. We play for this service and although you've added devices (great) you've removed them as well. This really isn't in anyway good customer service. 

0 Ratings