Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lightfm2
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Cast BT Sport to Apple TV - sound only no picture

Go to solution

Hi,

When I try to cast BT Sport from the app to Apple TV, I only get the sound on my TV not the picture. Picture continues to play on my device. I've tried from iPhone and iPad without success.

According the BT help pages here Can I stream BT Sport using Chromecast or Apple TV? it suggests that I should be able to cast OK.  I am a BT Broadband customer (with Halo) and am I BT Mobile customer (Family SIM with 3 SIMs), which seems to meet the criteria listed on that link.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able to cast to Apple TV, and if so, what I can do to get it to work?

Thanks

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Cast BT Sport to Apple TV - sound only no picture

Go to solution

Do other apps (eg iPlayer) cast successfully?

Reboot your phone? Reboot the TV / casting device?

0 Ratings
lightfm2
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can cast other apps without any problem.  I've tried iPlayer and YouTube, both work fine.

I've tried rebooting my phone and Apple TV.  I've also removed and re-installed the BT Sport App but still only get sound from the BT Sport App on the Apple TV, with the picture continuing to play on my phone.

0 Ratings
Pjop
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Interested to know if you found a solution. Having exact same issue. 
BT Sport will cast sound to Apple TV but not the picture. Works for all other streaming apps

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

How do you get the BT Sport app @Pjop  ?

Do you pay for it, have it free with BT Mobile, have BT Sport on BTTV ?

0 Ratings
Pjop
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
I have it through EE, currently on a 3 month free trial for BT Sport with large screen access. Having spoken to EE they confirm I should be able to stream to Apple TV. Also spoke to Apple but couldn't solve.
0 Ratings
Pjop
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

UPDATE: now working

When I re-read the instructions on the EE site it said "access your Apple TV app as normal on your iPhone or iPad"  I had previously ignored this as a typo and assumed it meant access the BT Sport App (as that is where you stream it from) however just to be thorough I went back and downloaded the Apple TV app onto my phone then re-tried streaming from the BT Sport app. I don't know if it is a work around or coincidence but it now works.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@Pjopwrote:
I have it through EE, currently on a 3 month free trial for BT Sport with large screen access. Having spoken to EE they confirm I should be able to stream to Apple TV. Also spoke to Apple but couldn't solve.

Glad to hear you have it working, BT can't offer support when you have it from a 3rd party such as EE.

0 Ratings
ArnoldN
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I have this same issue.  I have BT Sport for Mobile as part of my BT mobile phone package and also have BT broadband. I can connect my iPad to my smart TV Ok but when I try to cast using Apple Airplay from within the BT Sports app, it only transfers the sound not the picture. Other apps like video player and BBC iPlayer cast properly. I didn’t understand the previous comment about using the Apple TV app as you can’t play the BT Sports channels using that. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@ArnoldNwrote:

I have BT Sport for Mobile as part of my BT mobile phone package

Casting is not supported with the free BT Sport mobile app, the chargeable app does support casting.

0 Ratings