Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Cast quality from Android app Vs Cast Tab of Web Player

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my Chromecast from gen 2 to gen 3 to take advantage of the increased bandwidth so that I could get the 1080/50 stream from BT Sport (the quality of the streams were upgraded in January of this year).

I have found that I have not been able to tell a difference between casting the BT Sport app from my android phone on the Gen 3 compared to Gen 2. The framerate is definitely only 25fps (I have my Chromecast set to 50hz).

However if I open the BT Sport web player on the website on a computer and cast the tab to the Gen 3 Chromecast, I get a much better quality image that is 1080 (it's very good) and definitely the 50fps framerate. It is so much smoother and really is better than the Android app cast stream.

If I watch a stream on my android phone though, I do have the increased framerate.

I am wondering if perhaps the BT Sport app needs an update to enable the higher framerate stream to be casted if it detects that the Chromecast device is a gen 3?

I wonder if anyone else could test this out and see if they agree with me?

Cheers.
21 REPLIES
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Cast quality from Android app Vs Cast Tab of Web Player

There’s an existing thread which was started over two months ago which questions the quality of the BT Sport channels when casting from the BT Sport  app. I personally have an iPad mini 2 and both a mk1 & mk2 Chromecast. The quality was upgraded to HD quality on the BT Sport app back in January and it was possible to cast all of the sport channels in HD all of the time on both of my respective Chromecasts. Around the end of July/ beginning of August, I noticed that the situation had changed. It seems to me that it is only possible to cast in HD quality now during certain sports or competitions or certain times of the day. The BT Sport ESPN channel never casts in full HD quality anymore. This despite the picture quality when just watching on the iPad itself being in full HD. I have tried various communication channels with BT to try to obtain a satisfactory answer to this question, but so far to no avail.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Can you do me a favour, on your Gen2 will you try as i described above. Watch a channel by casting it from the app, and then watch the same channel by casting a Chrome tab of the same channel from a "proper computer" (enlarging the picture once the cast has started so it goes to full screen on the Chromecast), and see if you think there is any noticeable difference in quality? On my Gen3 the cast of the tab is definitely superior to the cast of the app.

Cheers
0 Ratings
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Sorry, I can’t do that as I’ve got a MacBook which doesn’t allow me to cast from the Chrome browser. However, I’m currently casting the rugby from BT Sport 1 and it’s in full HD 1080 50 fps quality from the iOS app.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Hello, you should be able to still cast from Chrome on a MacBook. If is either built into the browser or you have to add the cast extension to it. My housemate has a MacBook and he can Smiley Happy.

It's interesting you feel liked you have the full 1080/50 stream on your gen 2 Chromecast because it doesn't support 1080 above 30 fps. You will either be viewing 1080/25 or perhaps 720/50.

Your TV sill tell you your input is 1080p and 50hz refresh rate. But its not physically possible fora non Gen3 or non ultra Chromecast to show the 1080/50 stream, which is whyi upgraded to the Gen 3 a few weeks ago. Smiley Happy
0 Ratings
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

I have an old MacBook which is over 10 years old and definitely can’t cast from Chrome. The PQ that I’m watching the rugby with at the moment is top notch quality, as good as any other HD channel on our tv. Try casting it from your phone to see for yourself.
0 Ratings
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Thanks for your technical advice. I’m just frustrated that the BT Sport app PQ seems to vary when casting depending upon either the time of day, the sport or the competition being shown. It was consistently good from January until the end of July. Did you go for the new 3rd Gen Chromecast because you don’t have a UHD tv, and didn’t consider the Chromecast Ultra? I see that it’s possible to buy a 3rd Gen for £20 in some Black Friday deals at the moment. We don’t have a UHD tv. 

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

I have a really good quality 4k TV. I would rather my TV upscale the BT sport image rather than the chromecast ultra which will not be able to do anywhere near as good a job as my TV at upscaling. I would get the Gen3 if you can!

Will you appease me and try following these instructions to see if you can actually get the BT sport web player to cast from Chrome on your Mac.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

I just want to get the best quality same as you! 😁
0 Ratings
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

My old MacBook won’t support the latest version of Chrome and that’s why I can’t cast from it. It’s on OS 6 or something and can’t be upgraded any further I believe. I discovered this earlier this year.

I’ve now turned over to BT Sport 2 and the PQ’s still as good as it was on the rugby earlier. It’s so frustrating.

I might get a Chromecast 3 Gen if it improves my PQ. Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Ahhhhhh fair enough!

Do you have a smartphone that you could watch the same channel on at the same time as your cast? You should be able to see the picture is like really smooth and flows much better than the picture on the chrome cast .
0 Ratings