cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 21 of 26

Re: Cast quality from Android app Vs Cast Tab of Web Player

Part of the reason of this thread was the hope that someone might be able to give some insight as to why I feel like I haven't benefited from the increased framerate via Chromecast.

I feel like perhaps there needs to be a code change in the app to make it realise I have a gen 3 Chromecast so that it enables the higher framerate stream to be casted.

Perhaps a mod may be able to look into this?
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 22 of 26

I did some extensive testing of this again last night using 2 Gen 3 Chromecasts, a Gen 2 Chromecast and both the Android and iOS versions of the BT Sport App.

No matter which version of the Chromecast you have, the BT Sport App on Android and iOS are both sending only the 25 FPS stream. It is 1080 (as far as I can tell) and still is good quality. But it's not the best quality.

If you have a Gen 3 Chromecast or the Ultra, if you cast a BT Sport tab from the Google Chrome web browser on a laptop or desktop computer, and fullscreen the video so that it gets pushed directly to the Chromecast, you get the full 1080 50fps stream. The quality of this is unbelievable. I actually believe that the picture quality using this method is better than the 1080i50 (still 25fps) broadcast through the Youview boxes.

If you try to cast a BT sport chrome tab to the Gen 2 or Gen 1 Chromecast, when it fully buffers in it will try to handle the 1080/50 content, but it doesn't have the bandwidth to do so. The result is it stutters for a few seconds and then reverts back to a normal tab mirroring cast mode.

I hope this information is of use to everyone.
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 23 of 26

I was wondering if one of the moderators, maybe @NeilO might have picked this up yet? The app is still not forwarding the full quality stream to my gen 3 chromecast forcing me to have to cast a tab of the bt sport web player from google chrome on a 'proper' computer.

Is there any chance that this could be passed onto the dev team? I am sure all it needs is  simple switch statement which the different properties of the different gen chromecasts to be detected to determine which quality stream to send through.

Cheers.

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 26

Will older Chromecasts dongles still work properly with this "simple" change you suggest?
Highlighted
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 25 of 26

Hello,

Yes it would be fine. The code function would say; tell me your properties; based on the response if it were a gen 1 or gen 2 chromecast it would send the 1080p stream at 25fps. If the response was 'hey i'm a gen 3 or ultra', it would send the 1080/50p stream.

Having to cast a chrome tab to from a desktop/laptop to get the best quality stream isn't the most convenient option.
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 26

Does that not depend on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Chromecast being able to respond to the request?
0 Ratings