cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcus_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Casting problem - "Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)"

Go to solution

I'm a BT Broadband customer and BT mobile Sim only customer (with BT sport App included).

I very rarely use the BT sport app but when I do,  I've had no problems either watching on my phone or casting to my Sony Bravia tv via the Samsung Smart View function on my mobile. 

That is until yesterday. Clearly there's been a recent App upgrade since I last used it, as the layout has changed.   
I still have no problems watching on the mobile device but when I tried to cast to my TV I get the error message on the BT Sport app screen on my mobile device -"Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)". Yet when I search the BT help pages for this error code there is no record of such code.
I can't see anything in the app settings to "enable" casting.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but the error message persists.
Any advice/ suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

33 REPLIES 33
HUGHJARGON
Beginner
Message 2 of 34

Re: Casting problem - "Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)"

Go to solution

This happened to me as well last night. I have a samsung galaxy note 9 and was getting exactly what is described above.  Annoyed as I missed the game on my TV.

I'm baffled to be honest.

0 Ratings
Unhappybunny1
Beginner
Message 3 of 34

Re: Casting problem - "Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)"

Go to solution
Spoke to BT apparently we were never supposed to be able to mirror a phone to a tv whilst watching the BT Sport app. Latest upgrade seems to have plugged this gap- hence no longer can ‘cast’. BT sport team kindly offered to help resolve this matter by upgrading our package to the full BT TV app extra for only an additional £5/month. (Smart tv users only) So this seems to be the only way now to watch sport on a screen larger than 8” Hope you find this post helpful if not the service fromBT. 😉
HUGHJARGON
Beginner
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

Yes indeed. Ahh well. I will leave BT and complete my sky package on the strength of this decision by BT,

Luckily my sim and broadband is up for grabs,

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

Hi Everyone, I can confirm that what you've been advised is correct, you shouldn't be able to 'cast' the app on to a large screen if you watch the BT Sport App as part of a:

• EE Mobile subscription without the large screen BT Sport App bolt-on
  • BT Mobile deal 
  • BT Business package
0 Ratings
HUGHJARGON
Beginner
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

Hi. What about bt broadband (fast fibre) and a mobile deal. I have both pay a high price but cant cast from phone to tv? Is that correct please?

Thanks and regards

Matt

0 Ratings
Marcus_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution

Thank you Unhappybunny1 for the explanation.
Noting those comments and subsequent posts, let's summarize the situation here:-

• I'm a longstanding BT broadband fibre customer.
  • I switch from my existing mobile provider of c18 years to a BT mobile deal, with the BT sport App included in the price AND the confirmation from a BT customer service representative at the time that I can mirror/cast the App to my TV.
  • I've now been with BT mobile 2+ years, faithfully paying my monthly d/d, and occasionally watching BT sport on my phone and similarly occasionally casting mainly highlight footage to my tv.
  • During this time I'm inundated with offers from BT of upgrades, more monthly data allowance....etc etc
  • BT then decide that this casting facility I've enjoyed since the outset of my contract should no longer be provided. But do they communicate this change to me in the same way that they're happy to send me all kinds of other marketing? No, not at all, they simply one day 'upgrade' the App so that the casting no longer works and I thus only discover this on the day I might actually want to watch something.
  • Then, just to confuse the customer further, they get the App to report an error code that features absolutely nowhere on any of the so-called 'help' pages associated with the App.

Wow, great customer service! Not!
If it was all a mistake, if the original intention was not for the App to be cast, then ok, do something about it.
But at least have the courtesy to inform your loyal customers of your intentions beforehand.

Totally shoddy and underhand way of going about things imho.

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution
Note that if you have a suitable laptop then an alternative to casting is to second-screen the browser player on the laptop to the TV over a long HDMI cable.
0 Ratings
jonesy1980
Beginner
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

Same here. Just had online chat with bt and they reckon its not them blocking casting even though we all get the same VC550 error code rubbish. I have two bt sims and bt fibre but doesnt seem to matter to bt, as long as they can keep taking our money😡

0 Ratings
BabNat1
Beginner
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution

Hi guys, I have the same issue. I am a broadband and mobile (4sim) contract customer, this means I should be able to cast through my Chrome cast as per the contract. But BT Sports works only on the phone but not via chrome cast. Spoke to technical which put me in the queuing, and told that someone will call me within the next 4 days :(.

0 Ratings