Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Choosing a new UHD TV

Go to solution

Hi All

Having signed up to 4K Max, I have two models in mind (£550-600) 55" but am slightly confused with all apps and number of devices that can be used.

Looks like a Samsung is favourite at the mo' , because of the BT TV app. However the other one I'm looking at is an LG, which has Freeview Play. I assume this is similar to Youview on a BT box? Is it a useful service?

I think it's the Extra app which says you can register 4 devices and watch 2 (?), does that mean devices running the app or is the TV (Samsung) or BT TV recorder counted as a device. So what is the max you could be watching at the same time.

Any opinions welcome and thanks in advance.

Graham

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Choosing a new UHD TV

Go to solution

Hi @colts 

The BT TV Box doesn't count as one of your devices but I'm sure that the Samsung TV would. It does get a bit confusing around the apps but I think that you're right with 4 devices and 2 streams if you have the Extra Option. You do get the ability to download Catch Up/On Demand stuff as well.

However, as you'll undoubtedly have BT Sports, there's the BT Sport App. There's a version for Samsung TV's as well, the streaming for this is separate to the TV App. So you could stream BT Sports 1 for example, on two devices via the BT TV App, and on a further minimum of two via the Sports App.

Personally I think it's easier to split the atom than find a simple, concise explanation of all the ins and outs on the BT website.

0 Ratings
colts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info, yes I'm getting it mainly for the sport. Have now ordered  a Samsung from BT Shop which included a JBL soundbar in the price, AND I got a £19 discount for being a BT pensioner (wow). The recorder arrived today so I'm off to have a play with it.

Regards

Graham

0 Ratings
colts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

OK I thought I'd signed up for 4K Max (which I thought (???) included App Extra) but now that it has been activated my package shows as Total Entertainment HD + Ultra HD + Kids + BT Sport 4K. Does that equal 4K Max?

Browsing what is available I can find MAX 4K BUNDLE (Max 4K TV + fibre broadband, Your download speed 36Mb) this includes App Extra. Whereas with Entertainment + ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS (Entertainment TV + BT Sport + fibre broadband) and MAX 4K + ULTRAFAST FIBRE  PLUS, neither shows App Extra and 4K does not show BT Sport.So which am I on?

You would have thought that if MAX 4K is the top package (if that's what it is?) it would include all the extras. Under the FAQ What comes with each TV package there is no mention of "App Extra" on any package, although there is "Get BT TV app with Extra Box* – only with Superfast Fibre" whatever that means, and why only on Super rather than Ultra?

Sorry it's a bit convoluted but that's I'm struggling to understand.

Regards

Graham

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

From what you've said I would think that you have Max 4K, as it says it includes BT Sport 4K which is the only 4K channel.

My bill says that I have Max 4K but when I log in to My BT, my TV package says Total Entertainment. They are the same but BT seem to take pleasure sometimes in causing confusion.

BT TV Extra is a £5 a month add on, it doesn't come included with any packages. To order it I think that you have to call BT, I'm fairly certain that you can't just order it yourself online. You could try Live Chat 😮

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Some people, myself included, have been receiving emails offering the BTTV Extra App for free. Might be wise to hold out for a while before shelling out your fiver 😀

0 Ratings