cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Chromecast & 1080p50

(Im not new to this forum, but i couldn't find my old login info and requesting the rest from BT didn't work so....)

I bought a Chromecast today and setting it up, works a treat and went for CC vs a Fire Stick because of BT Sport app support on CC vs not on FireTV.

My question though is, is BT Sport//ESPN HD on the BT Sport app sent through CC available in 50fps like it is the Android app, Win10 app and more? Because when casting it, the framerate drops to 25fps but i don't have such issues with BT Sport 1, 2 or 3 when casting nd on my tablet & phone, the stream is 50fps.

Thanks alot

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Chromecast & 1080p50

Hi @Popeye13_Official,

Is it the Chromecast Ultra that you've got or the 2nd Gen Chromecast? The 2nd Gen version doesn't support anything higher than 1080p30, so our 1080p50 stream will only max out on the Chromecast Ultra.

Kind Regards,

Colin

Community ModeratorColinB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@ColinB_Sportwrote:

Hi @Popeye13_Official,

Is it the Chromecast Ultra that you've got or the 2nd Gen Chromecast? The 2nd Gen version doesn't support anything higher than 1080p30, so our 1080p50 stream will only max out on the Chromecast Ultra.

Kind Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply.

It would seem i have the Gen2. Much to my disappointment. I was hoping to move away from having to use a laptop to stream BT Sport but when BT Sport offers 1080p50 streams and Chromecast can't support that, im not going to compromise on quality. 

You say the Ultra WILL support 1080p50? or have i interpreted that wrong? Because if so, i will get an Ultra.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
timbo1963
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi I too am using a cc generation 2 to stream BT Sport on my LG 4K tv. Am I right in thinking if I had the cc ultra the picture quality would be slightly better?
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

You can geta higher quality stream using either the Ultra or the newly released Gen 3 Chromecast.

I have a thread running below this one trying to figure out which method of casting actually gives the best quality though.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I did some extensive testing of this last night using 2 Gen 3 Chromecasts, a Gen 2 Chromecast and both the Android and iOS versions of the BT Sport App.

No matter which version of the Chromecast you have, the BT Sport App on Android and iOS are both sending only the 25 FPS stream. It is 1080 (as far as I can tell) and still is good quality. But it's not the best quality.

If you have a Gen 3 Chromecast or the Ultra, if you cast a BT Sport tab from the Google Chrome web browser on a laptop or desktop computer, and fullscreen the video so that it gets pushed directly to the Chromecast, you get the full 1080 50fps stream. The quality of this is unbelievable. I actually believe that the picture quality using this method is better than the 1080i50 (still 25fps) broadcast through the Youview boxes.

If you try to cast a BT sport chrome tab to the Gen 2 or Gen 1 Chromecast, when it fully buffers in it will try to handle the 1080/50 content, but it doesn't have the bandwidth to do so. The result is it stutters for a few seconds and then reverts back to a normal tab mirroring cast mode.

I hope this information is of use to everyone.
Highlighted
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I was wondering if one of the moderators, maybe @NeilO might have picked this up yet? The app is still not forwarding the full quality stream to my gen 3 chromecast forcing me to have to cast a tab of the bt sport web player from google chrome on a 'proper' computer.

Is there any chance that this could be passed onto the dev team? I am sure all it needs is  simple switch statement which the different properties of the different gen chromecasts to be detected to determine which quality stream to send through.

Cheers.