cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 21 of 29

Re: Chromecast incessant buffering

For Android TVs that were previously being used as Chromecast devices, we now have the Android TV app where playback is much smoother and higher quality.

No progress with actual Chromecast devices unfortunately.

0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 22 of 29

This is not the fault of Google Chromecast. Please shift the blame back to BT Sport. Explain why BT Sport is the only app that gives these problems. Chromecast works perefectly with other apps. BT - you own this issue, not Google

GerardQ
Contributor
Message 23 of 29

Well, no improvement "mid September" appears to have arrived. If anything, this infuriating buffering on BT Sport app is worse than ever.

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 24 of 29

I would estimate 2-3 months before we have an improvement (we hope) for Chromecast devices that aren't Android TV devices.
We've had to start from scratch with Chromecast - as one of the launch partners for Chromecast in 2013 our receiver is based on the original Google spec. Things have moved on since then, and we're now updating to use all the latest Chromecast capabilities. If that doesn't sort it, we'll at least be able to ask Google why (we don't control buffering - it's controlled by Google on the device).
0 Ratings
tboyle3
Beginner
Message 25 of 29

Hi,

Any update on this?

I too have constant buffering on the BT Sport app casting to a Chromecast. When I cast any other application (Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Amazon Prime, ITV, etc) I can view without any issue, so this is solely an issue with BT Sport.

GerardQ
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

I'm afraid that late last year, I gave up on BT with this issue. For Christmas, I was given an upgraded 4k Chromecast device (around £70). I installed this device into the back of my LG TV and haven't had a buffering problem since. Perfect picture. Now, BT would no doubt blame Google Chrome for this, but I don't agree. I would argue that you should not have to upgrade your Chromecast device in the first place. I still blame BT. As we all know, the non 4k old Chromecast works well with Netflix etc.

DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 27 of 29

Totally agree @GerardQ - you'll see from my comments above that we're not blaming Google. We need to update our Chromecast receiver. If it still fails after the update, then we'll be in a position to ask Google for help.
Still no date yet on the new receiver though I'm afraid @tboyle3. It's a top priority for us, and is being actively worked on now.
0 Ratings
Willdread
Beginner
Message 28 of 29

Hi, thanks for this promising solution. Tried it but still buffering. Maybe I need to buy a Chromecast Ultra? - unless there are any other potential solutions to this problem.
0 Ratings
Willdread
Beginner
Message 29 of 29

The solution I was referring to was setting the Chromecast to 50 Hz from Google home. Did this but it makes no difference. There are posts from bt in this thread that promise a fix, but this has been going on for s long time.

0 Ratings