cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Standinginthesun
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

Chromecast incessant buffering

About every minute BT Sport, when casting from any device to my Chromecast, will buffer. The buffer is about a second long and it brings up the BT Sport black bar up alongside it at the bottom.

This seems to happen on Champions League nights more than any other time. I've tried resetting the router/modem, disconnecting the Chromecast, recasting, but nothing at all works.

Internet speed is fast fibre. Nothing else buffers, including BT Sport when NOT casting to Chromecast

Does this happen to anybody else? What is the solution?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Riaktion
Beginner
Message 2 of 29

Re: Chromecast incessant buffering

Get the same issue here, exactly as you describe. Only been this last week or so. No solution found, all other streaming such as YouTube, Netflix and Now TV stream flawlessly without this issue.
Standinginthesun
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

Happening again today, even more severe than before.

0 Ratings
Riaktion
Beginner
Message 4 of 29

Same here, borderline unwatchable on New Year's Day today

0 Ratings
ozsat
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 29

I've been casting the main matches to Chromecast Ultra for 4K/HDR and not had any issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
Standinginthesun
Beginner
Message 6 of 29

Folks, I think I may have found the problem - and indeed solution.

Go to your Chromecast settings (under the Google Home app) and select the option to 'Stream at 50HZ'. It's hidden in advanced settings but this seems to be the problem as sports are often broadcast at 60HZ on the app, creating this constant 'buffer'/lag, which is what the one second pauses are for.

After switching to 50HZ I was only getting the buffer every half an hour, at most, still for a second. Occasionally there was actually a very brief speed up in picture which did not result in buffering.

It's not a perfect solution, and I'll keep this post updated in the future with whether this is a permanent fix or not, but it's MUCH better.

Standinginthesun
Beginner
Message 7 of 29

Unfortunately fears confirmed - it wasn't a fix at all.

Unwatchable again today.

Are any BT support workers even going to attempt helping on this thread or just ignore it?

0 Ratings
rustylad
Beginner
Message 8 of 29

Trying to watch the Liverpool v Wolves game tonight was very annoying.

Either there was buffering, or the picture was freezing up briefly while the audio continued.

The normal HD channels were fine, but tonight Ultimate was really bad!!

To be fair though, today was the first day it affected me, but it was so frequent and annoying I had to google it!

0 Ratings
rustylad
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

Getting buffering again this evening on the HDR 4K Ultimate channel via chromecast.

Everything else works absolutely fine.  The normal HD channels are fine - I'm getting 50 - 60Mb download on speedtest - I have BT infinity 2.

BT - What have you done???

Sort it out!

To Edit this, the buffering is not as frequent this evening.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 29

well I watched about 40 minutes  of the Bt Sport Ultimate  Live Northampton v Derby match from midway through the first half  via Chromecast Ultra and experienced no buffering other than the initial  bufffering whilst the stream was first  establioshed.

0 Ratings