Message 11 of 80

Re: Delay in live sports

Go to solution

I'm not watching the enhanced feed

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 80

Go to solution

What are you using as your reference @alfiep212 ?  i.e. how do you know that it's 40 seconds behind live?

Also, are you saying you'd rather not watch the match at all, than watch it slightly delayed?

One other comment I will make is that we're currently testing a new stream for the channels that will decrease the delay by almost 40% - from an average 40 seconds, to around 25.  We estimate this to start being available across most platforms in the next 4-6 weeks - you've not mentioned which platform you're watching on.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 80

Go to solution

@DarrenDev Jumping in on this...I am intrigued.

I currently watch BT 4K HDR via Chromecast Ultimate - the PQ is amazing, but the delay is killing me as I enjoy watching along with others who have BT on Sky. I notice the delay is approx 30 secs vs Sky on satellite. I know for some the 30s is minor, but for me, it can be quite a big deal! 

Now I am technical enough to know that no IP delivery method is going to match Sky satellite, but is there any other option to keep the 4K HDR and reduce latency/delay? I don't want to have to switch to Sky and lose 4K HDR. I notice that Chromecast Ultra is actually 3-4 seconds behind the iOS app, going from iOSapp >Chromecast Ultra seems to add an additional delay which doesn't make sense to me.

P.s If there is any way to help beta test these new lower delay streams - I would bite your arm off. 🙂 

Message 14 of 80

Go to solution

These days you can't even set your clock by the radio. My radio-controlled clocks are usually at at least a minute ahead of Big Ben via DAB compared to FM.  However, as time is relative...

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 80

Go to solution
With HDR, no - there's currently no option available. You can get BT Sport in 4K on BT TV over multicast, which has a lower latency, but you'll lose HDR with the latest publicly available box.
If you stop/start/stop the stream on Chromecast multiple times, you'll find that the latency is different each time, and can vary by up to 10 seconds. This is because our content is mostly delivered in 10 second chunks and the player will start from the beginning of the chunk it's currently on.

You're already beta testing these new lower delay streams - you just didn't know it. 🙂 We switch back and forth between the new streams and the old ones on different channels at different times of the day as we test them all ready to switch across permanently. ESPN is currently running the new streams.
Message 16 of 80

Go to solution

@DarrenDev Interesting to note regarding the 10 sec chunks on Chromecast - it's not much, but it will help. 

Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. Feature request - please get a native LG tvOS app out so I can ditch my CC ultra. 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 80

Go to solution
@gspearson I think you need to check the syncing of your clocks. Mine are only about two seconds ahead of DAB.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 80

Go to solution

FlashScore, or any other sport results app.

Yes, I'd rather not watch it if it's delayed by 40+ seconds, for me that's more than slightly.#

My main issue is, I only signed up to BT online to watch the knockout phase of CL + EL, nothing else. So I feel like £20 is not a good value to watch just these matches with this kind of delay

Message 19 of 80

Go to solution
Using a sports results app or following social media while watching live sport is never a good idea.
Message 20 of 80

Go to solution

"Recognized Expert"... incredible