cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 80

Re: Delay in live sports

Go to solution

Don’t get me wrong but it’s ridiculous what you just said… few seconds delay compared to stadium is hit different then 40 seconds delay compared to..own hd channel. 

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 80

Go to solution

The stream is usually that far behind as that is stream technology.  BT's own HD channel on BTv is not that far behind - maybe 5 seconds.

BBC iPlayer is often over a minute behind main channel.

I've never found any streaming service close to a live version of the event - can be 15-90 seconds difference.

This may be of interest - Why it’s so hard to fix lag on Euro 2020 live streams 

@Piotrchwrote:

Don’t get me wrong but it’s ridiculous what you just said… few seconds delay compared to stadium is hit different then 40 seconds delay compared to..own hd channel. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 80

Go to solution

I know cause I’ve tried Bbc and for same reasons will not get Ultimate..

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 80

Go to solution

But Ulitmate on the BTtv or VirginMedia box doesn't have that delay

@Piotrchwrote:

I know cause I’ve tried Bbc and for same reasons will not get Ultimate..

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 80

Go to solution

Yeah but I’ve got a sky for at least a year..

Message 36 of 80

Go to solution

OK - you pay Sky for BT?

I could not get Sky to offer me for 'BT on Sky' anywhere near as low as BT would charge me for 'BT on Sky' - so Ultimate didn't cost any extra with BT. But as you say you are stuck with streaming if only with Sky.

@Piotrchwrote:

Yeah but I’ve got a sky for at least a year..

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 80

Go to solution

@ozsat wrote:

This may be of interest - Why it’s so hard to fix lag on Euro 2020 live streams 

Brilliant article! Very well explained. Especially this quote:

"The challenge there is that it really is a trade-off between quality of service and how quickly we can deliver it or how close to real-time you can deliver it: it’s a very direct trade-off"

In an attempt to please users, I reduced the latency on the Android app down to 12 seconds earlier this year. For many users, the response was brilliant - the video started faster, and users were that much closer to real-time.  For the majority of users though, the effect was worse - a tiny amount of buffering was enough to throw players totally off kilter and the average buffering rate across all users shot up.  We're set at 18 seconds (plus encoding overhead) on Android now, but other platforms don't have quite the same level of tweakability.

When you're delivering the video to thousands of different devices connected in different ways, with different signal strength, processing power, and screen size, there's an almost infinite number of things that can go wrong.

Message 38 of 80

Go to solution

As soon as sky contract will run out I will consider my options but for now I will most likely get it for a month and see. Thanks for replies

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 80

Go to solution

Now this I am completely baffled by. I can accept BT sport will have a delay if I am using a stream, because I understand the limitations of streaming technology, but how on Earth is BT Sport two seconds behind on BTtv compared to Sky or Virgin when the channel is literally called BT sport? Surely, if anything, BTtv customers should be 2 seconds ahead of Sky or Virgin customers? Can someone explain?

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 80

Go to solution

As I understand it - all BTtv channels are all streamed. They actually use a part of your BT Internet bandwidth.

@urbanlegend179wrote:

Now this I am completely baffled by. I can accept BT sport will have a delay if I am using a stream, because I understand the limitations of streaming technology, but how on Earth is BT Sport two seconds behind on BTtv compared to Sky or Virgin when the channel is literally called BT sport? Surely, if anything, BTtv customers should be 2 seconds ahead of Sky or Virgin customers? Can someone explain?

0 Ratings