cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 80

Re: Delay in live sports

Go to solution

So even channels you watch on the BT TV Box Pro will be streamed? So where do Sky and Virgin get their BT Sport signal from then? I just can't possibly understand how Sky and Virgin are ahead - even by a second -  it doesn't make any sense to me. 

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 80

Go to solution

The BT provided channels on any BTtv box are streamed - the Freeview channels are not.

So you are watching a stream if using a BTtv box for BT Sports.

Sky and VirginMedia get their pictures direct from BT - not via a BTtv box.

Even so they are delayed slightly from the original.

@urbanlegend179wrote:

So even channels you watch on the BT TV Box Pro will be streamed? So where do Sky and Virgin get their BT Sport signal from then? I just can't possibly understand how Sky and Virgin are ahead - even by a second -  it doesn't make any sense to me. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 43 of 80

Go to solution

Interesting.

So if the picture on BTtv box is also streamed, how come it's much closer to real time than if you stream on an app? If they're both streams, why is the BTtv box so far ahead of the apps? Just curious 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 80

Go to solution

Whole discussion is pointless. They use stream instead of satellite like Sky. Saving some money despite selling it for hefty price. We all know stream isn’t for sport and don’t think it ever will be.

people can defend this but sport it’s meant go to watch without delay. But at the moment while I can see goal on sky someone else on a stream  is 40 seconds behind.. 

Reason? They save lot of money…and considering their search for investors I doubt it will change. I’ll stay with Sky and their satellite feed. 

Message 45 of 80

Go to solution

I was actually more concerned about the other way round; a delay in Sky Sports via Now TV on BT TV Pro box. But subscription just went live and I measured it to be around 4 seconds delay on BT TV Pro compared to on Sky. I certainly wouldn't be streaming Sky Sports via Now TV or Sky Go and would not be streaming BT Sport online either. The delay of 40+ seconds is too much for live football, as notifications come in from friends and apps before you see the event.

Message 46 of 80

Go to solution

@urbanlegend179wrote:

Interesting.

So if the picture on BTtv box is also streamed, how come it's much closer to real time than if you stream on an app? If they're both streams, why is the BTtv box so far ahead of the apps? Just curious 🙂

BT use multicast streaming through the Youview box, as opposed to unicast streaming for the app. Without becoming too technical, with multicast streaming everyone "shares" the same single stream with no buffering (so being nearer to real time). With unicast the stream is delivered point to point for one user only. So in effect for 100 people tuning into BT Sport 1 at the same time; with multicast there is one single stream, for unicast 100 separate streams.

Message 47 of 80

Go to solution

"The delay of 40+ seconds is too much for live football, as notifications come in from friends and apps before you see the event"

Turn off notifications for the duration?  It really is that simple.

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 80

Go to solution

Turn off notifications…

of course after all we’re talking about some pirated service from abroad that’s free so we can forget about our lives to watch illegal stream…

recognised expert…😂

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 80

Go to solution
The ~40 delay is normal for internet "Over the top / OTT" streaming, and cannot currently be avoided. Threats of cancellation or switching to another provider won't change that. BT certainly has no plans on becoming a satellite TV provider - there are other providers available for that, and you're more than welcome to use them.
0 Ratings
Message 50 of 80

Go to solution

BT is looking for investor as current strategy isn’t making enough money. So instead of paying them £25 to them i will pay £22 to Sky just to give them some part of it.

Saying  BT will not become satellite provider.. well sooner or later they’ll have to send feed on satellite as customers demand quality or someone else will come in and throw BT out of the market.