cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Disappearing football

Go to solution

I have a new Pro TV box and fibre to the house.  When watching football on TV the ball disappears and/or goes very faint.  Switching to a satellite receiver removes this problem. The Pro TV box is connected via a strong WiFi signal what is wrong?  This did not happen with the previous BT TV box.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Disappearing football

Go to solution

Check your video settings on the Pro Box and also the TV. I have a Pro Box and the quality is rock solid. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, I can't see how it can be the TV because the sat signal doesn't do this and they both pass through an AV amp and use the same HDMI on the TV.  The AV amp just switches the right signal through.  The Pro box hasn't been altered since it was delivered about two weeks ago but I will look.  This isn't very noticeable until you get fast moving objects, such as footballs, which disappear or go faint as they are moving.  It also dd not happen with the previous BT TV box in exactly the same setup.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

It's probably something to do with the refresh rates. Most TV's have settings that are adjustable for each input. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion but the TV is using the same input for both sources, the HDMI is from an AV amp and that does the switching.  This Pro box is plugged into the same input on the AV amp as the previous one was (and that BT box didn't do this).  The TV settings are on auto to make the best use of the signal presented to it.  I'm wondering if it could be the channel that was being used, watching Wales vs Ukraine yesterday it was on ITV but said Sky Sports via the BT Pro box, when I changed to a satellite receiver on the same channel the problem wasn't there.  Maybe the ITV signal itself had a low update rate?  It isn't my network connection since I have 903 Mbs at the router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Was the issue on Sky Sports? If so, if you don't have the HD Boost active, it's broadcast at a lower frame rate by NowTV, 720p and 25fps. This will give a juddery picture on fast moving images such as footballs. HD Boost will give 1080p and 50fps and the picture quality is outstanding.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

This could be the problem but where do I find HD Boost?  Also the problem was found on the terrestrial broadcast of the game (although it did have a Sky Sport caption.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

NowTV HD Boost is an add on available through MyBT for £5 per month. The terrestrial issue was probably because Sky are the rights holders but have allowed CH4 (I think it's them) to carry the home nations matches but they're probably getting the 720p/FPS feed with the highest quality going to those that pay for access 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, I should have written that the problem was NOT on the terrestrial broadcast but I think you might well be right about this.  It does seem odd that it only started when the new Pro box was fitted.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I've tried NowTV football without the Boost before and the picture quality is ok until the ball moves fast and then it's noticeably bad. It is literally down to the frame rate. Amazon was pretty bad at first as well until they went to 50fps but they're encoding is still pretty poor compared to BT Sport and Sky Sports, especially on 4K .