cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 21

Re: Does BT Sport require use of a BT Home Hub?

Re: Does BT Sport require use of a BT Home Hub? [ New ]
on ‎30-05-2013 21h27

One slight problem if you are a BT Infinity 3 FTTP customer - you'd have to attach your existing device to a 100Mbps port on the HH4 thus limiting the speed delivered to your other devices (there is only 1 x gigabit port which has to be used for the BTV / Youview box).

If that is an issue for you there are plenty of multiport Gigabit switches on the market so connecting that to the HH gigabit port first should work ok. Of course it means another power point required and it would look a bit messy if its all in open view but until BT start supplying decent hubs then it will always be a problem.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Clover
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

If the multicast traffic becomes a problem, I think I might end up connecting the BT Vision in the family room directly to one of the 100Mbps ports on the HH in the office, and connect the 1000Mbps port on the HH to the gigabit switch in the loft, feeding all the other rooms. (Fortunately I put structured wiring in when I built the house, with at least 2 cat5e to each room.)

That way, the multicast packets never get to the rest of my home network.

I agree, I could hang my Netgear router off the HH 1000Mbps port, but if the HH4 now does dual band, I might as well just upgrade and use that. I definitely prefer less boxes. And I wanted a wifi printer anyhow.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 21

"I agree, I could hang my Netgear router off the HH 1000Mbps port, but if the HH4 now does dual band, I might as well just upgrade and use that. I definitely prefer less boxes. And I wanted a wifi printer anyhow."

----------------------------------------------------------

If the only reason for keeping the Netgear router is wifi then that would probably be the best way to go as the HH4 definitely has dualband Wifi, ideal if you have devices capable of running on the 5Ghz band.

It is unclear as yet though whether Vision will run well off a 100Mbps port.

0 Ratings
Clover
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Why wouldn't Vision run well off a 100Mbps port? Surely most Infinity subscribers will have a sub 100Mbps connection to the home, mine is only around 38Mbps. Yet all my multicast channels work fine when connected to a 100Mbps port on the HH, including all the HD channels.

With printing and dual band catered for, the only remaining concern for me using a HH4 is the alleged security/backdoor issue: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2011/05/24/bt_snooping/

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 21

I have to agree with the statement about BT Vision having to be plugged into the 1Gb port - this is stupid as the modems are only 100Mbps so can't deliver anything more than that...

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

I have an Apple Aiport Extreme that works great when streaming music and video internally to Airport Express and Apple TV's.

However BT Sport and the extra Internet Channels (e.g. Eurosport not On Demand stuff)  would not work.  I have BT Infinity unlimited

After speaking to BT support they said a Home Hub is required and they sent me a new one (HH3).

I connected the openreach modem to the HH3 then the Airport Extreme to the HH3 via ethernet and set it in Bridge mode.  Then disabled all wireless on the HH3.  So the Airport Extreme was providing wifi internally and BT Sport and the Internet channels all worked fine.  Great!

Apart from performance on the internal network degraded so that streaming and general browsing was very slow.  I checked that the HH3 was not broadcasting any wifi and that there were no nearby wifi networks on the same channel, but couldn't get performance back.  As soon as I removed the HH3 then performance went back to normal.

I tried connecting the Airport Extreme direct to the modem and then hanging the HH3 off it as a client on the network but that did not work and after 40 mins of largely useless chat to BT support was not able to resolve it.

So now I am back to using the Airport Extreme and have taken HH3 out all together and don't get BT Sport.

Airport Extreme does support multicast but that does not seem to help.

I have pretty much given up on getting BT Sport and have cancelled my subscriptions to the extra Internet channels that I can't get - I'll just use apps on the ipad instead, so this is really just info for anyone in a similar situation.

However if anyone has any ideas I'd be more than happy to try them out.

Cheers

Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 21

Theres a list here of routers known to work http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/vision/multicast.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Ironically I have found that if I use the BT Sport on the ipad and airplay to apple TV then it works perfectly, ditto with Eurosport player.  This is because of the improved internal network using Airport Extreme (and no HH3).

So I have evyerthing I need now - and can send HH3 back.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

I think its ridiculous, I have infinity, run a household of computers on it no problem because of all the Gigaports on my Netgear router. But If I want my subscription to bt sport to be worth while I have to have a Homehub router with only 1 Gigaport which is for BT Vision and run all of my computers on 10/100!? its a joke!

Would it work if I plugged the BT Vision into a Gigabit Switch which is connected to the gigabit port does anyone know?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 21

Yes that would work.

Your problem with the Netgear is because the Netgear doesn't support multicast. Many other routers work though, so you're not stuck with only the homehub.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings