cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
best1066
Message 1 of 5

Dsiplayed code on tv when watching BT sport

Go to solution

I've noticed when watching football via the youview box that a code is displayed on the top right hand side of the screen as in the case of the Chelsea v Liverpool super cup match RERENUYwMUM5NQ==. This code changes each time. Does anyone know why a code is displayed or what it means?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Bluemoon1
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dsiplayed code on tv when watching BT sport

Go to solution

Hi

I think it's something to do with stopping piracy . It's been on the sports channels a little while now.

robotman1
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I'm fairly certain it is there to identify illegal sharing of the broadcast to sites that host illegal streams. 

It's a unique code and doesn't imply they think you as an individual are doing anything wrong. We all get these numbers randomly embedded onto our boxes.

I remember getting them on Sky when I subbed to them years ago.

There is no way anyone else could identify you from the numbers, only BT themselves.

Hope that helps 😀

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

It also doesn't stop the piracy it is intended to prevent because the pirates cover the code or share a stream from the US, Canada or elsewhere. All it does is irritate some of the people legally paying.

When my OLED has screen burn from the various numbers, rectangles and circles BT and Sky insist on adding to the broadcast they will be getting the bill to replace it... 🤣

robotman1
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@stereohaven 

Agreed, I have a few friends who pay for an illegal streaming service and it uses BT Sport streams quite a bit. Like you say, the streamer just blurs the numbers so they can't be read.

I think Sky had at one time, and maybe still do, andomly moved the numbers to different corners of the screen in an attempt to combat piracy.

From what I can see elsewhere this piracy battle isn't being won by the EPL/BT/Sky etc, and like you rightly say, it's an irritation to those of us who pay big bucks to stay legit.