Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wozza
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Error VC018 - XP - IE8 - Silverlight 5.1

Maybe somebody in here knows how to resolve this error ?

I have just wasted an hour of my life on the telephone to what was supposed to be BT sports tech helpdesk, i say supposed to be because the person at the opther end tried to tell me you could not watch BT Sport on a PC, on the internet !!! I actually had to give them the bt.sport.com address to prove it !   not the best of starts eh, i should of just hung up there and then !

So come you BT Boffins, solve the VC018 error, and please, dont give me its not a BT error rubbish either. BT decided to go the Silverlight route, despite the majority of the other online streaming suppliers ditching it years ago, so yes it is your error and its up to you to ensure yoru service work on it. Please dont send me silly emails telling me to re-install sivlerlight etc, its all been done before.

This will be the second weekend i cannot watch the football thanks to your not so well tried and tested platform and totally incapable support service.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Error VC018 - XP - IE8 - Silverlight 5.1

Try a different browser - chrome or firefox
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Wozza
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Firefox - Tried same error.

Chrome not installed and never will be.

0 Ratings
GraemeM1
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Please confirm you've read and tried all the fixes in this sticky:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/Top-tips-for-Silverlight-Issues-with-wat... 

BT TV Expert

I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here to give advice primarily on BT Vision. Go here for more info.

If my post has been helpful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 19

Sorry you're unwilling to try everything.

Did you do the 4 things?
1. Update your video drivers
2. Update your clock and 24 hour format
3. Run the Silverlight fixit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523
4. Delete mspr.hds http://mike-thomson.com/blog/?p=210

--
0 Ratings
Wozza
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Despite stating the obvious about silverlight in my original post, to appease you, i will uninstall it, again, and re-install it, again.

in the meantime BT need to address this...

"Silverlight isn’t a BT Product and we don’t support it. "

If you are not going to support your customers using a product BT decided to use, BT deserve all the bad press and negative publicity you recieve. Pathetic excuse and service to boot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 19

It's rather more than uninstalling and reinstalling, you also have to fix the registry and fix Playright.
--
0 Ratings
Wozza
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Legitimise_sailing

your sorry i'm unwilling to try everything ??  you mean you are not happy with the fact i will not install Chrome ?

If you can point me to the section in the TOS for BT Sport online where it tells me i HAVE to use a specific browser then i will stand corrected and accept i shoud have read the terms more carefully before subscribing to the product.

To be honest I'm tired of reading post after post on this forum where BT are constantly passing the problem off to the user or their setup.

Just where exactly am i supposed to have been told to try the following... ?

3. Run the Silverlight fixit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523
4. Delete mspr.hds http://mike-thomson.com/blog/?p=210

As this is the first time i have seen these options, i will see what happens regards option 4.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 19

Sorry, I thought you wanted to be able to watch the footie.

--
0 Ratings
Wozza
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Legitimise_sailing - please tell me you dont actually work for BT and in Customer service - because your attitude stinks. When a customer complains that the product they are being supplied with does not work, you dont put the onus on the customer to fix the fault.

Well, this may supprise you, but after un-installing silverlight, again, cleaning the registry, again, re-installing silverlight, again, oh and i did clear out the cache folder amd delete the file mspr.hds, (of which is not in the location specified in the link if you are using XP, XP users will still be located in 'documents and settings' not 'Users' )  I still get the VC018 error, in fact i've even managed to get a VC010 error also, too many concurrent streams runnng.. I WISH  !

Thanks for trying.

Next...

0 Ratings