Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Interloper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

FYI: Chromecast fills device slots with App Extra

Go to solution

So I upgraded to the BT TV App Extra last week for both the increased device limit and Chromecast support. All was well until I checked my device list earlier and found I had inadvertantly filled all 4 slots!

It turns out EACH individual Chromecast you have counts as a device. So if you have one in a Living Room, one in a Bedroom etc (like me)...well, that's two devices gone. And so on.

Pretty annoyed by this. I think at the very least BT could have made this explicitly clear as I (wrongly) assumed only the device you were casting FROM counted. Nope!

And, of course, it's also 30 days until you can next change a slot...then 30 days for the next slot...and so on. Sigh.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: FYI: Chromecast fills device slots with App Extra

Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback, I've asked the App team to look into improved messaging around this.

Steve

BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
wraighty46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I have used slots for iphone, ipad, samsung mobile, samsung tv. I assumed I could Chromecast from iphone but it tells me I already have 4 slots used.

So iphone casting to chromecast counts as 2 devices !!

I deleted samsung tv and now have to wait 30 days before registering the chromecast.

Not impressed.

0 Ratings
richdox
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I too have just suffered this issue, and think that it is an absolute disgrace and blatent miscommunication and falsifying the offer of a monthy subscription. 

A chromecast should in no way be registered as a device as it cannot work independently to broadcast BTTV, the only way to view on chromecast is by using another registered device, thus requiring two slots to enjoy the functionality and halving the number of available slots. 

For someone that works away and has a family at home that still want to enjoy tv in their own rooms or devices this stipulation from BT restricts my ability to do this satisfactorily and in my opinion constitutes a breach of their agreement as well as false advertising. 

I purposley went out and bought three chromecast with which to benefit from the beleived functionallty and am now out of pocket, functionality and with no satisfactory support from BT advisors. Oh and of course trying to make one change every 28 days makes this almost imossible to repair.

Gutted! and despite being a new customer and am hugely dissapointed with this set up.

0 Ratings
The_Interloper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

It's ludicrous, as you say, because a Chromecast cannot work without the original casting device. If, for example, your iPhone is registered as a device, you cannot watch on the iPhone at the same time as casting with it - it simply becomes a remote at that point.

What it comes down to is not wanting users to cast to big screens - Sky, NowTV etc also have these issues - as BT and others want you to buy additional boxes and pay extra for 'multiroom' setups. It's an archaic business model.

Personally, I could live within the restrictions to some degree (register a single Chromecast and move it from TV to TV if needed) if it wasn't for the insane '30-day change' rule. That is just consumer unfriendly and completely at odds with how people now consume content.

0 Ratings
Itsmefee
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I regularly have to re set my 3 chromecast that I have as they freeze AND they also reset when my broadband goes down or needs re booting......

Each time I do this I have to wait 30 days before I can re register the same Chromecast device back onto the BT TV APP. Why is this ? Why are they not recognised as the same device that was linked to the app before ?

Its madness. I now have 3 Chromecast devices that I can't use with the BT TV APP for the next 30 days ???

0 Ratings
Itsmefee
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Why doesn't the app recognise the re installation of the same chromecast device?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Itsmefee wrote:

Why doesn't the app recognise the re installation of the same chromecast device?

What happens with most apps, is that each installation generates a unique validation code, just like the old BT SmartTalk app. As this code is different that the one held by BT, its seen as a different device.

It also prevent someone registering a device, then passing it to someone else, thinking it will still work because its the same physical device.

Itsmefee
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Mystery solved. Thanks. Still very frustrating when all your doing is resetting your device because your broadband has dropped out. Real shame.
0 Ratings