cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Free Football Tomorrow Night ??

Hi,

I have a BT Youview box but I cancelled my sports package a couple of years ago.

I know BT are offering the European finals free to everyone but do I just turn to channel 408 on my box or do I have to login via an app on my laptop ?

Regards,

TrevTheBev

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Free Football Tomorrow Night ??

BT Sport to show 2022 UEFA Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League finals free-... 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 3 of 9

Thank you very much for this advice.

However, I'm not sure if I have to download anything or can I just tune in to channel 408 on my Youview box [Despite me NOT having BT Sport]

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The article doesn't say it'll be available for free on the YouView box, so I doubt it'll be available. Thus you'll need to choose one of the other platforms listed in that article.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

That's  a bit of a bummer especially when I have the facility to watch it with their own box. It certainly wouldn't cost them any extra to turn that on.

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

It is odd that BT Sport is being made available 'free' on VirginMedia for the UEFA finals but not BTtv.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It's a technical limitation (confirmed with the product owner) - we don't have the ability to make specific programmes free-to-air on our multicast channels. The minimum we can do is the entire day, but we don't have agreements from all the rights holders of all other programmes shown today to do this.

We used to have the BT Sport Showcase channel on Freeview for things like this, but it was dropped a few years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

VirginMedia have a similar limitation - so rather than open BT Sport 1 free for the day they just added a temporary new channel which will only be active during the football.

BTtv could have opened up one of the six BT Sport Extra channels for the day and added the live football - as the extra channels had no other programmes to cause a rights issue.

@DarrenDevwrote:

It's a technical limitation (confirmed with the product owner) - we don't have the ability to make specific programmes free-to-air on our multicast channels. The minimum we can do is the entire day, but we don't have agreements from all the rights holders of all other programmes shown today to do this.

We used to have the BT Sport Showcase channel on Freeview for things like this, but it was dropped a few years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Sounds like they didn't have any other option.

We do - there are at least 10 other platforms that the matches can be watched on for free, including YouTube which is on pretty much every Smart TV out there.