Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 72

Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

BTS-SEO-CL-1200x500.jpg

Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

Tottenham and Liverpool battle it out for European glory on Saturday 1 June, and all our BT Sport subscribers can watch the match live in dazzling HDR (High Dynamic Range) for free.

What is HDR?

HDR enables the highest quality TV pictures ever seen. Dynamic range is essentially displayed contrast, meaning you’ll get the brightest whites and the darkest blacks, and more intense true-to-life images.  Exactly what you need for the most anticipated match of the season.

How to watch the game in HDR

You can watch the final in HDR:

• Using an HDR capable mobile or tablet device
  • On our large screen app using a Samsung Smart TV, Xbox One or Apple TV (the TV or monitor will also need to be HDR capable)
  • By casting the app from an HDR capable device to an HDR capable Chromecast device (Chromecast Ultra) with an HDR capable TV or monitor. Find out more about casting 
  • By air playing the app from an HDR capable device to an HDR capable Apple TV with an HDR capable TV or monitor.

The instructions alter slightly depending on the type of phone or device you’re using, so find out how to watch HDR on your device >

Will my TV or device support HDR?

All of the following manufacturers have compatible TVs. However, you may need to check your specific TV's compatibility on the manufacturers’ website.

• Samsung

Certain models provide built-in HDR support out of the box, but you should check Samsung’s website to see if your TV has built-in compatibility.

Support via an app or device

These TVs need to be connected via other methods such as Chromecast Ultra, Apple 4K TV or Xbox one.

• LG
  • Sony
  • Phillips
  • Sharp
  • Toshiba

Devices which support HDR

• Apple devices
  • iPhone 8 and newer
  • Android devices
  • Galaxy S8 and newer
  • Nokia 7.1_ST

Other

If your device is not shown here, go to the manufacturer’s website to check its compatibility.

What internet speed do I need to watch in HDR?

Mobiles and tablets will need a speed of 2.5Mb. Other connected devices – like consoles and Smart TVs – will need 3.5Mb.

How to watch on the day

Mobiles and tablets

• Login to the BT Sport app using an HDR capable device and select the UCL final option, this should have an HRD icon. From the match page, choose 'Watch Live'
  • When giving the option of watching in the Enhanced Player or Standard Player, choose Standard Player to watch in HDR.
  • Bear in mind that streaming the match in HDR could use up to 5GB of data.

Consoles, Smart TVs and other connected devices

You need to make sure your device and TV have HDR mode enabled in their settings. We've included instructions on how to do this on the most popular TVs and consoles below. If yours is not listed, check with the manufacturer directly.

App devices

Apple TV

• Go to the Settings app on your Apple TV >Choose Video and Audio
  • Go to Format and select 1080p HDR 50Hz.
  • If you haven’t previously used this setting, your Apple TV will tell you whether or not your TV is compatible
  • If your TV is compatible, you’ll see a message stating it's been switched to HDR – press OK. Your Apple TV is now set up for HDR.

Samsung Smart TV

• If you’re using the BT Sport App on a Samsung Smart TV, you don’t have to change any settings – the app will automatically detect whether you’re compatible or not.
  • If you see the HDR icon, then your TV is compatible and you’ll be watching in HDR.

Xbox One

• Go to Settings from the Xbox home screen
  • Choose Display & Sound
  • Go to Video output
  • Choose Video modes in the Advanced menu
  • Select Allow HDR10 - your Xbox One is now set up for HDR.

Your TV settings also need to be enabled for HDR and yu can check where they are in the 4K TV details in the set-up menu. It should show a green tick next to the Your TV supports HDR10 video statement. If it doesn’t, check out how to enable HDR on your TV within this section, or check with the manufacturer directly for a specific model.

TV manufacturers

LG

• Press the Settings button on your TV remote
  • Scroll down to All Settings
  • Go to the General tab
  • Select HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. Each of the available HDMI ports should now be listed on the screen
  • Turn on the feature on the port that your device is connected to.

Panasonic

• Press the Menu button on your TV remote
  • Go to the Setup tab of the main menu
  • Select HDMI HDR Setting
  • Select the HDMI port your device is connected to
  • Change to ON for the ports of your choosing.

Philips

• Press the Menu button on your TV remote
  • Choose Setup
  • Go to TV Settings
  • Choose Installation
  • Select Preferences
  • Select **HDMI mode
  • Choose the HDMI port your device is connected to
  • Switch to Normal from 'Legacy'.

Samsung

• Press the Settings button on your TV remote
  • Go to General, then press External Device Manager
  • Press HDMI UHD Color
  • Enable the port that your device is connected to.
  • You’ll also need to make sure the HDMI port you’re connected to is HDR enabled. You can do that by going to Settings > External Device Manager > HDMI UHD Color.

Sony

• Press the Home button on your TV remote
  • Scroll down to Settings
  • Select External Inputs under 'TV'
  • Choose HDMI signal format
  • Switch your signal format to Enhanced Format format. By default, this will have been set to Standard Format.

Toshiba

• Press the Menu button your TV remote
  • Scroll down and choose Options
  • Select HDMI Input Mode
  • Set the input mode to Mode 2 (2.0).

Once the HDR settings are enabled on your TV, open the BT Sport app. The UCL final option will be at the top.  There should be an HDR icon showing. Press ‘Watch Now’ and you’re good to go. When you’re in the player, you’ll see the BT Sport HDR Live icon in the corner when the match is being streamed.

If you’re trying to watch on Apple TV, you will not see an icon next to the UCL Final, you’ll only see one when you’re in the player.

If you can’t see the HDR icon after enabling it, try closing down the app and re-opening it. If it still isn’t working, double check your settings.

When will I be able to buy HDR?

BT Sport’s new HDR service will launch for the BT Sport app ahead of the new football season. It will offer picture quality of up to 4K resolution from just £5 per month.

If you’ve got any questions that aren’t covered in our FAQs or want to share your experience with HDR, feel free to post a comment below.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
71 REPLIES 71
L1feways
Beginner
Message 2 of 72

Re: Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

What about the 4k youview box?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 72

Hi @L1feways thanks for posting, yes the final will be shown in 4k on channel 433 but you'll need a BT sport subscription. Check out this link for details on how to watch the Champions League final on your TV.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 72

@NeilO @I think the question related to why no HDR on the BT Youview Box. As we know though, the BT Youview Box does not do HDR.

Seems to me that the money is being spent on the app neglecting the BT Youview Box.

Stew

0 Ratings
L1feways
Beginner
Message 5 of 72

That was exactly my point. I was being sarcastic about the complete lack of investment in the increasingly forgotten youview platform.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 72

Hi @SeanD ,

You mention "large screen BTSport App".  I can't seem to find this just the "BTSport App".

So can you help me find it please ?

Will this be shown in UHD or just HD please ?  There seems to be contradiction on various websites.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 72

That is the app I think @pompey1898 , it will show in UHD automatically if you are watching on a capable Samsung.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 72

Not sure is there is, but a confidence test clip in the required formats would be useful to allow people to test their apps.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 72

@SeanD 

What time does the HDR streaming start, is it in line with the BT Sport 2 times?

Also I've set up my Xbox One S to output 4K to my Panasonic TV with all the relevant settings ticked. Is setting to 4K correct or should it be 1080P?

As @400 suggests a test clip would have been useful.

0 Ratings
MattQ
Message 10 of 72

Thanks for the details above:

-To watch on Apple TV 4K, do you need to be signed into the App to view HDR for Free?

-Is the Free Stream in HDR -press reports are say that only paid subscribers get HDR?

-When will the Free stream start? Will it be available from 6PM for the pre-match build-up or just at kick-off?

The stakes are high as I have a house full of people!

Thanks

0 Ratings