cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 31 of 72

Re: Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

I found the UHD/HDR picture on the BT Sport App quite acceptable, but then I may not be as fussy or knowledgeable as some.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 72

I'm not saying it wasn't quite acceptable just not as amazing as all the hype would suggest.

Contributor
Message 33 of 72

@stereohavenwrote:

@400wrote:

Seeing a lot of coding/decode artefacts on crowd shots from high behind etc. but looks fairly good when your brain filters that out. If that makes sense. Only interested in rugby but wanted to see what was possibly on offer, appreciate this is 1080p on an app on a 55".

Same here, too many artefacts for me so I have gone back to the YouView channel.

Artefacts for me were small detail and small detail motion processing, probably more motion issues. Football player centre of frame and the artefacts would be around the hair or shirt logo, wideshot of the crowd and it would be players or crowd persons as a whole jumping, macro blocking. I apreciate this was H264 or 5 but looked old school mpeg 2 issues trying to handle motion. I would have been mightily peeved had the app been the only way and I liked football.

I did not watch a minute or two past KO. I do not know if it improved. Ball is the wrong shape for me to stay interested.

Path from camera to Apple TV would be interesting, what generation of compression was hitting the Apple TV.

I expect that there were a few BT techs clustered around a few Apple TV devices and TV at some test venue and saw the same?

For BT. After what I saw last night (issues aside).

Would I stump up £5 a month for HDR10 on top of what is required for 4K? No, I think your pricing model is flawed for this or not explained? l aready have to buy a TV package I do not really want to get 4K.

Watching on the app needs to be polished up a lot (unless I mised improvements later in the natch). My OLED may not work so well with HDR10, unless there is a process to adjust HDR10 settings similar to the Panasonic 4K Bluray players (it takes the edge off high max luminance etc. and just makes it better for OLED). Projectors could have the same issue I think?

HDR10 seems a strange choice when the industry is prefering (?) HLG for live and the BBC live version via iPlayer Beta is superb. Is it for a wider coverage of devices?

Whatever my views, BT needs to do more 4k channels. You stopped with one channel.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 34 of 72

Maybe my eyesight is not as hyper sensitive as @400 but the picture looked as good as anything on BBC live i player beta. 

Does anyone else that watched this have an opinion ?

0 Ratings
woppy101
Beginner
Message 35 of 72

Yeah the BBCs offering for the FA cup final was far superior to BT’s offering, it was night and day. BBCs broadcast had no macro blocking, was more dynamic and was better produced overall. BT could take a lesson or 2 from the BBCs broadcast.
Contributor
Message 36 of 72

Also I think last nights HDR test was 1080p (?) where as 4k for BBC Beta but they use HLG as a HDR format, BT using 10 last night through the Apple TV. I do not have any other devices that this runs on to compare.

Blocking (smearing etc.) being a visually obvious issue and if you did not get it then you would see a good feed though the finer detail issues I could say I might expect to see, it will depend on what is set up on the code/decode.

I was careful not to run the 4K set top box feed at the same time as checking the Apple TV BT App feed.

4k on the Set top was the usual great. No issues there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 72

I watched the match logged in on the BT Sport app on Samsung TV, the HDR stream was fine, no issues for me, prior to 7:30 I watch the  earlier buildup via the Samsung TV Youview app which at that time was showing the BT Sport  4K  UHD channel stream  and had no issues with that although obviously  it was only prematch.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 38 of 72

Seeing as this is a pinned thread, can we clear up a few things for the new "Ultimate"?

Will 4k be coming down the App? (I have the Apple TV)

It will be 4K HDR with Dolby?

I assume it will be HDR 10 again, web site says HDR which is running to several distinct versions now. (beeb are HLG).

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 39 of 72

Just tried on the ne BT Sport Ultimate.

App with no 4k. HDR perhaps on the app. 4k on the box. This really is a mess. Roll on end of contract.

0 Ratings
woppy101
Beginner
Message 40 of 72

Yeah BT’s implementation of 4K HDR has been a bit of a farce, and the quality is nowhere near what it should be 

0 Ratings