cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 41 of 72

Re: Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

Hi woppy101 - could you be specific about what part of our implementation you think has been a farce so I can feed this back please - good to get feedback so we can improve next time.

We launched HDR on our digital platforms for the UCL final in June, free to all customers, with 76% of those surveyed saying it was a much better picture than normal SDR. We had HDR again on Sunday for the Community Shield, and will continue to for selected games as the season progresses.

4K is more of a challenge and not something that benefits customers on small-screen device where the vast majority of our digital viewing takes place, but we are working on it!

BT Sport expertKitH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 42 of 72

Hi 400 - sorry you haven't had the best experience on our app. What device do you ordinarily watch on and I'll let you know whether you should be getting HDR or not.

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
robotman1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 72

@KitH 

HDR was NOT available yesterday. There has been plenty of forum posts across the web on that very topic. Here's just one https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/94218826#Comment_94218826

That in itself is a farce, you telling us something was available when it clearly was not 😂

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 44 of 72

Hi robotman - to be clear - HDR was indeed launched yesterday for the Community shield on digital platforms (not Set top box), but was only available to top tier tv customers. What package are you on and I'll let you know if you should have seen it.

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 45 of 72

I think the problem is I read across several news reports that there would or could be a service available as of last Sunday that may or may not contain certain options and you may or may not have a device that can use this.

My device is the Apple TV. I have the 4K TV max and BT box. The 4k was as usual very good through the BT box. I have no interest in 1080p HDR. Only 4K HDR. Will there ever be 4k HDR through the Apple TV app? I know the BT Box cannot do HDR and absolutely no interest in watching it on my phone. FYI I set my Apple TV to 4k HDR output with all range matching options on. I do not want to be setting it up just to get HDR correctly for BT sport and resetting to watch the rest.

Then I find a IBC interview that says stuff will be happening but the thrust is for mobile devices. 

Also, I see the blurb now mentions the football matches only but rugby mention, is rugby off the HDR list? That is the one and only reason I keep 4k and BT and to be honest after this contract is over, the price hikes have turned me away (another story). 14 months left and I want the best at least.

The problem I think was there was no clear message and it was confusing. I got mixed messages on the Ultimate service to be available on Sunday, whether it was 4k or 1080p and in HDR. I think there were at least two different BT pages on the subject?

Perhaps the way is for BT to cut to the chase.

e.g. List exactly what you are going to do and on what platform and when. Not write the page and pad it as an advert for your services. At the very least link to a technical page. I might have missed it if it exists.

robotman1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 72

@KitH 

I know it's not on the set top box as it isn't HDR compatible regardless of what BT staff were saying yesterday on Twitter. I'm on the Max 4K package which includes BT Sport channel 433.

There are hundreds of people on Twitter and various internet forums on the top tier package who have all posted re the lack of HDR yesterday. 

I personally wasn't watching as I was viewing the Leeds game on Sky.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 47 of 72

hi robotman - we launched yesterday with the majority of our top tier customers seeing HDR. However, we did experience some issues which meant far more than we'd like weren't getting the HDR stream. We're working on it to fix for next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback and if you're a Leeds fan then good decision to watch that game!

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 72

I think the issue is they were hoping to launch HD HDR AND 4K HDR (on large screen devices) for the start of the football season BUT the 4K HDR has been delayed so now people are getting confused thinking that when HDR is mentioned that automatically means they will get 4K HDR if there set up is capable. The set up at this moment should be.

Small screen devices -

HD HDR with a max TV subscription.

Large screen devices (Apple TV4K, Samsung TV, XBOX One X) -

HD HDR with a max TV Subscription.

4K HDR is delayed and will be available at a later date.

BTTV 4K STB -

UHD SDR with Dolby Atmos sound (maximum you will get from this box).

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 72

Who were these lucky people to get a HDR stream because, other than the one sole person on these forums, I’m unable to find anybody else! Did you have a maximum allowance of one person?

Let’s face facts and admit that yesterday was a complete and utter shambles, with nobody able to access what was promised. Seems like a very cheap backtracking to now say it was available but there were issues; let’s just be honest.

Can you confirm a few things:

• Is coverage HD HDR or UHD HDR?
  • What devices can this be viewed on?
  • Will the HDR stream be available to Virgin customers?

And most importantly, why on earth are BT staff telling people that it was their TV because the box could do HDR?

Staff were also confirming HDR wasn’t available yesterday; this was confirmed to various people who called to query. 

Seems like there are a few lies being spun here to save face... and it’s absolutely disgusting. 

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 50 of 72

Hi 051 - firstly I can assure you that no one is purposefully lying to 'save face'. However, clearly some of our call centre agents haven't been made properly aware of what was and was not available at the weekend. They get a lot of information about new channels, packages, features etc so some of the info gets lost but we must do a better job of communicating clearly with them in future, to avoid this confusion. So sorry about that.

In terms of facing facts, we track usage and can see a lot of our customers were seeing HDR yesterday. I'm always honest when I communicate with customers on these boards. But as I say we are still investigating the problems we saw yesterday so we can fix for next time.

- Coverage will be HD HDR (working on 4K for some of our large screen apps)

- Any device that is HDR-capable (except for XBox and Chromecast which we're working on)

- No it won't be available to Virgin customers at present

Let me know if you have any other questions. Although we have seen some challenges with HDR launch we continue to serve our apps in excellent full HD, like last season, which most customers tell us is an excellent experience. We continue to try and enhance the experience and apologise that it is delayed for some customers. We're working on it 🙂

BT Sport expertKitH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”