Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robotman1
Contributor
Message 51 of 72

Re: Free HDR viewing for the UEFA Champions League 2019

@051 @scointer @KitH 

Firstly, I'm in no way trying to knock BT as I've been a customer most of my adult life, with the 4K tv package being my most recent acquisition. I have had very few problems down the years so I'm all for BT getting things right.

However, there have been a lot of mixed messages from BT staff concerning yesterdays Community Shield football across these pages and the official Twitter account. At least @KitH has finally admitted there were issues yesterday, although I do believe he is genuinely unaware just how widespread those issues were, and so is only responding as honestly as he can with the information that has been passed down to him.

There are clearly failings relating to communications between the various departments and customer service channels which BT need to sort out big time, especially with the recent Ofcom figures dealing with complaints across the various TV platforms which BT rated atrociously bad in. Unfortunately it's the customer service guys here and on social media and the phones who bear the brunt of public anger when things go wrong.

Thanks though are due to @KitH for keeping us appraised of the situation as he knows it this morning.

0 Ratings
Bumtious
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 72

This is for kitH

HDR on BT is a shambles. And take this as constructive but also exasperated criticism.

I am a professional TV and audio calibrator and have domestic and commercial clients so used to setting up grading monitors.

To all readers, if you want to see how HDR should look, go look at the HDR loop of the FA cup final on the BBC iplayer. That is 4K HDR HLG and looks superb.

What we seem to be getting from BT is far from clear and is very confused, even BT's staff dont have a clue what's really going on from the rediculous conversation I tried to have with BT's customer service yesterday at half time. Maybe EE customers got it?

• There was no HDR via Apple TV for the community shield. I called several of my customers and not a single one got an HDR stream.
  • Even if it was available its 1080 HD (and confuses people who see the letters HDR)
  • UHD, HDR, HD, HLG.... what does it all really mean.
  • The instructions to set the Apple TV to HDR 1080 50Hz forces the Apple Tv to show a faux interpolated (guessed) HDR. Reason for doing this, the BT app does NOT do frame rate matching or dynamic range matching.
  • This forces your TV into a HDR mode, but what you are seeing is the Apple TV converting a 1080 SDR (standard picture) and creating a guessed HDR result, which is and looks rubbish.
  • Didn't work on iphoneX or ipad pro either
  • I have a BT 4K box and that was 4K UHD and Atmos (4k and Atmos only available via this platform) and the quality there seems to have dropped from last season. (image was dark and grass was smearing as there seemed to be more compression)
  • I also have your superfibre package and have no problems getting full 4K HLG from iplayer or HDR and Dolby Vison from Netflix, Amazon or Itunes movies. (All hard wired)
  • Now as I understand it the game was indeed being caputred in 4K HDR as you now have the technical ability to have a single workflow/production crew to capture in 4K HDR and send out in downscaled HD to customers who do not have HDR devices yet, eg Sky customers.
  • The 4K UHD channel has been rebranded Ultimate, and could be HDR or UHD or 1080 HDR we have no idea now and the explanation to any of the above or the pricing models is as clear as mud.

Right now BT seems to be economical with the facts/truth.

You are implying things but not really being clear. Here's an example:

"Weather was hot and sunny today 23 degrees."

The full information would state:

"Weather was hot and sunny today 23 degrees for about 10 minutes, the rest of the day was was 9 degrees with torrential rain and gale force winds."

We launched or HDR service yesterday.

We launched or HDR service yesterday as marketed, but it will be several weeks before all platforms are ready including our own box.

Neither is untrue. But a completely different. The only way anyone can make a informed decision is to have clear information. Not confussing and econimical marketing spiel.

What is needed is some transparent clarity and explanations not some economical corporate explanations.

I belive BT did launch it but was not ready on most platforms or you were plagued with technical issues.

From what I can see, the reality is that while you can indeed capture it, as of now you have no way to broadcast it properly. Your 4K boxes can't do HDR (new boxes on the way that will but not ready yet). Sky Q not ready yet. Apple TV, not frame rate or dynamic range adaptable.

The Champions League final in HDR was unwatchable, it was dire quality. Again the BBC iplayer FA cup final loop is what HDR should look like. (As was centre court from Wimbledon)

Bottom line is we have no idea what were able to get or how to get it because in reality it is a shambles and is as clear as mud and no one at BT seems to have an idea of what's going on. Just seems to be lame damage limitation from what I can see.

What's really going on please.

BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 53 of 72

Hi Bumptious - lots of good points there but I'll try to respond as best I can.

Quality - I'm not as technical as you to be sure (!) but we surveyed several thousand customers after the UCL final last year and 76% said that HDR was a superior picture to what they had before. So BBC iPlayer may well be different but our customers on the whole enjoy HDR on our platforms. I'm sorry if you found it 'unwatchable' and 'dire quality' but the vast majority of our customers didn't share that same experience.

Apple TV - we launched HDR on Apple TV for Community Shield yesterday for Top Tier TV customers and can see it played out for plenty. As previously stated we did have some issues which meant many customers weren't getting the HDR stream as they should. We're working on a fix for next weekend.

Where to get HDR - HDR has been launched on capable devices for iOS, Android, Apple TV, and Samsung TV. We are working on getting it launched on our other platforms

4K - We are working on launching 4K for our large screen apps and will do on a per platform basis when it's ready

TV box - not currently HDR capable as you say so can only get 4K. Looking at getting this into a new box in due course

Earlier last season our app was only available on iOS, Android, Windows, and Web devices. We've now launched on XBox, Playstation, Samsung TV, and Apple TV's to try and make it easier for customers to access our content. We are now in the process of launching HDR and 4K on various platforms too. Although we are facing challenges, it's clear I hope that we are trying to provide an improved customer experience and hope you'll bear with us as we fix the issues we've seen. Continued customer feedback is always welcome to help us drive our products in the right direction!

If anything was mud-like in the above please do let me know 🙂

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 72

@KitH 

I have Max HD as my minimum line speed (or whatever it is called in the Openreach database), is below your threshold of 44Mbps.

I actually get 47Mps so happily watch Netflix and iTunes in Dolby Vision, YouTube/Prime in UHD and the iPlayer HLG streams.

Is Max HD "Top Tier" enough to be able to access the 4K and HDR streams when available through the Apple TV 4K or do you have to have Max 4K to get access?

I'm confused on if I would be able to potentially access it when I know my broadband can handle it, even though it doesn't meet your minimum for BT TV.

0 Ratings
Bumtious
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 72

Hi Kit

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure you will get it right in time.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 56 of 72

You'll need Max 4K to access HDR streams on the apps. If you can watch the BT Sport Ultimate channel on your TV box then you're good to go 🙂

Your line speed will be fine for HDR on Apple TV.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 57 of 72

Have I just clocked another issue? Atmos only through he BT box? Meaning HDR OR Atmos?

I think the biggest thing to do is get a basic unequivocal what you are providing list and no padded out for "look what else we do". Tell the seniors to get lost if they try to force the padding out on you.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 58 of 72

@KitH 

I think what @stereohaven is saying is that he only has MaxHD not Max4K because (although his line speed is actually above the minimum 44Mbps) the computer will see his lower speed on the test sytem as below the 44Mbps and won't allow the 4K package tp be ordered (I am in the same boat, my router connection speed is 49Mbps but the wholesale speedtester has my low down stream line rate as 40.7Mbps so won't let me order the 4K package - (although I have it and it works fine 😉

So will not being able to order/have the Max 4K package (and therefore not having the 4K channel) stop people from getting the 4K HDR for free on the apple TV when it finally releases or get HDR on the App.

BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 59 of 72

Hi 400 - not quite sure what you mean by 'padding out' but to clarify - no we don't currently offer Dolby Atmos on our apps. I'm not aware of anywhere where we've stated that we do, but apologies if you've seen that.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 60 of 72

@scointerwrote:

@KitH

I think what @stereohaven is saying is that he only has MaxHD not Max4K because (although his line speed is actually above the minimum 44MBps) the computer will see his lower speed on the test sytem as below the 44Mbps and won't allow the 4K package tp be ordered (I am in the same boat, my router connection speed is 49Mbps but the wholesale speedtester has my low down stream line rate as 40.7Mbps so won't let me order the 4K package - (although I have it and it works fine 😉

So will not being able to order/have the Max 4K package (and therefore not having the 4K channel) stop people from getting the HDR for free on the app.

Exactly that.

It is beyond frustrating that I cannot order Max 4K so I was wondering if getting access via Apple TV would be a way round it. It seems not then.

0 Ratings