cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Full BT Sport 4KHDR with no BT broadband - what are the options?

@DarrenDev- hopefully you can help confirm this one - or one of the other mods or anyone who has gone through this?

My BTtv contract ends in Feb 2021 and broadband in Dec 2020.

I today received an email that my BT tv monthly payments are going up £8pm - not the £4pm shown on the website.

That is an increase of over 30% for the tv part of the subscription and 15% for the total bill. The means I can cancel my subscripiton on 1 November 2020 as BT have exceeded the threashold for subscription increases. Rententions confirmed I can!

I do NOT want access to the Now TV package!

Retentions offered various options which will mean taking out a new 24 month contract - but my broadband garanteed speed would drop down to 23Mbs - nearly half of what it used to be about 12-18 months ago, and I still have to pay more than I do today.

At this point I would like to add that we have BT Ultamate on the BTtv box because at one point our line speed was fast enough for BT to add it. We are now told we could not have it re-added if we ever cancelled it.

It seems the best option left to me to continue access to the BT Sport Ultimate channel in HDR is as follows  -   please can you confirm all this is possible?

Cancel BTtv so that from 1st November I pay £25pm for the "BT Sport Monthly Pass" for full access of the BT Sport channels including 4K/HDR via apps. Do I continue to use the same BT email address?

In December 2020 I cancel BT Broadband unless BT offer some home of a better line speed in the near future. I know I will still need broadband from somewhere. If I cancel broadband at this time do I still use the same BT login for my app access?

I will loose BT App Extra which is 4 devices and it will go down to 2 devices - but the BT Sport app doesn't seem to use this anyway. Is that correct?

Finally - if I still wish BT Sport to be added to Sky set-top-box - what is the current charge via BT with the 'Monthly Pass' also in place?

thank you in advance

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 12 of 22

To answer your specific questions:

1. You can use any email address you like for a BT Sport Monthly Pass.  We're gradually ironing out all the issues we've had with people buying a pass on top of other current or previous BT Sport subscriptions, but there's still a chance of potential conflict.  Personally, I'd recommend using a different email address just to be totally sure.

2. Your BT ID will remain active no matter what you do with your services. Whether you choose to keep that or create a new one for your future selection of services is up to you.

I can't really comment on the charges going up - I struggle to keep up to date with our subscription model, as it changes so frequently.  I'm also not sure of the options for getting BT Sport on Sky - I'm pretty sure it's not possible with a Monthly Pass, so you'd potentially have to pay Sky another subscription on top.

You're correct that BT TV App Extra is only applicable to your BT TV subscription. There are no device swap limits on BT Sport - only a concurrency limit of 2 devices streaming live channels at the same time.

The bigger issue here though appears to be your broadband speed.  It's based on your line conditions, so switching to a different supplier won't help (unless it's cable, which doesn't use the same line into the house).  Send me a DM with your BT landline number, and I'll see if I can spot why your line has degraded so much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 22

Thanks - I've emailed the details you require.

The line issue has been on ongoing issue and Openreach have been out too.  VirginMedia is also available so broadband access is not an issue.

Download speeds tend to be around 35-36Mpbs - but on a bad day BT will offer no help as the gauranteed speed has dwindled down and still be met.

If I go for the £25 monthly option - how much will it cost to have it on Sky box too?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 22

BT sport on Sky is £29.99 if no BT Broadband

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 22

I wondered if it was cheaper if you already have another service.

£29.99 for BT Sports on one Sky box is a lot when Sky's basic price for BT Sports on Sky on all boxes is only £24.99.

I think the massive increase in cost is to try and force customers over to the Now TV packages.

@madhatter2426wrote:

BT sport on Sky is £29.99 if no BT Broadband

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 16 of 22

See my DM for response about your broadband.

If you're paying a monthly pass on BT Sport, you'd be mad to also pay for a Sky subscription too.  A monthly pass gets you access to the best quality streams across a wide range of devices - you could buy an Amazon 4K stick for less than 2  months Sky subscription, and have a better experience.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 17 of 22

It is the recording option for BT Sport which we currently have with either BTtv or Sky stb.  The UHD/HDR stream is a must too.

The two channel recording limit on the BT box - and the lack of HDR is major point again BTtv in my list. Is that likely to change soon with a new HDR box?

@DarrenDevwrote:

See my DM for response about your broadband.

If you're paying a monthly pass on BT Sport, you'd be mad to also pay for a Sky subscription too.  A monthly pass gets you access to the best quality streams across a wide range of devices - you could buy an Amazon 4K stick for less than 2  months Sky subscription, and have a better experience.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 22

@ozsatwrote:

£29.99 for BT Sports on one Sky box is a lot when Sky's basic price for BT Sports on Sky on all boxes is only £24.99.

Technically the cost of BT Sport via Sky is £25 on a 31 day rolling contract, although there seems to be bundle deals available if you ask, albeit with an 18 month contract. No 4K though for BT Sport via Sky.........yet.....

@ozsatwrote:

I think the massive increase in cost is to try and force customers over to the Now TV packages.

You old cynic you... 😋

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 22

@DarrenDevwrote:

If you're paying a monthly pass on BT Sport, you'd be mad to also pay for a Sky subscription too.  A monthly pass gets you access to the best quality streams across a wide range of devices...

My hat does go off to you and the BT Sport app team, it's the best out there, well done.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 20 of 22

There is no doubt the BT Ultimate HDR stream via the apps is the best quality sports video service in the UK - which is why it is on my "must have" list.

0 Ratings