cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lobsterlee
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Going round in circles! Sport App for broadband customers

Hi,  Basically I have BT Plus, Home Phone & 3x Mobiles all with BT under my home account.  Having the sport app with my mobile is great and last week I thought it would be great to watch on the tv so went out an bought a chrome cast.

Not so great is that Bt sport app on mobile is unable to cast as I get a message saying account subscription not supported or similar.  I Called BT and was sent a link to help with casting, in it it clearly states...  

However you won't be able to 'cast' the app on a large screen if you watch the BT Sport App as part of:

'BT Mobile deal without BT Broadband'

But I do have BT Broadband... so I called back and got through to someone in the sports team who said the app is normally £10 a month but when he added it to my account it showed up as £0... great... although nothing, I still can't cast and several web/chats and calls later... I've been sent the same info sheet saying the above!  Please can anyone clarify... what does the without broadband mean?  surely if I have BT broadband, I should be able to cast to my tv (same wi-fi network)... I understand and don't want to cast to another tv outside of my network...  Many thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Going round in circles! Sport App for broadband customers

Hi @lobsterlee 

Do you have a smart TV, I think if it's been added to your account then you'll need to download the app to your TV.

I came across this:

2. On BT TV

Watch live sport on BT TV with a BT Superfast Fibre Broadband or BT Broadband package. And if you can get BT Superfast Fibre Broadband with BT TV, you can add BT Sport HD for a small monthly fee.

3. On the BT Sport app and online player

As long as you've got broadband from BT, you can watch BT Sport on your PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet using the app and online player. You'll need to enter your BT ID to start watching.

To be honest whenever I've searched BT Help pages for answers I always have the impression that BT go out of their way to make their Help pages as unhelpful as possible. This is no different as (2) infers that that you can watch it, but then (3) suggests you can watch any way except via a TV. There's no further detail on exactly 'How To..' etc.

BT Sport used to be free if you had BT Broadband but I thought that came to an end for new customers but I could be wrong. I suspect that most of BT Customer Services use the same database for answers as their Help pages, which probably explains why it's often so painful. Unless someone else knows for certain, I would suggest continually calling BT until you can reach someone who actually has the right answer.

-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 13

If you have BT Sport free because your mobile has 6GB data or more, you can't cast.

If you have the chargeable (It might be discounted) that only BT Broadband customers can have, you can cast with that.

@lobsterleeyou say that someone in the sports team changed the sports app, check your confirmation email of that order, did it renew your broadband contract ? if it did then you do have the right version, if it did not then you're still on the free mobile version.

0 Ratings
lobsterlee
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi Andy005

thanks for taking the time to reply.

its not a smart tv, hence buying the chrome cast thingy...  I understand (sort of) not being able to cast from my phone or iPad using the app as BT say the app bundled with my BT Mobile deal does not allow this... however they seem to contradict themselves by saying 'Unless you have BT broadband!)

The guy I spoke to in Newcastle was great but even he got confused with their help pages and when that didn't work as he said it would... it was the whole lengthy process again in trying to speak with someone that seemed to care/know what I was on a bout lol

Cheers

Lee

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

I've just found this:

Yes, if you've got the right equipment at home to connect your PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet to your TV, then you'll be able to stream the app onto your TV. Alternatively, find out more about using Google Chromecast to watch BT Sport on your TV. Please note that BT Mobile customers with the BT Mobile Sport app (different from the regular app) will not be able to do this.

So is the app that you have on your phone the Mobile Sport app and not the full BT Sport app? It's worth going to your app store and downloading the full BT Sport app and try that.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 13

@Andy005wrote:

So is the app that you have on your phone the Mobile Sport app and not the full BT Sport app? It's worth going to your app store and downloading the full BT Sport app and try that.

It's a different product from BT's end, the app on the app store is the same, when you get it free with the mobile it restricts casting.
@lobsterlee  needs the free app removed and the chargeable app added, only BT broadband customers can have the chargeable app, It's £10 per month but offers do exist.

lobsterlee
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Hi Richie,

Yes, we've always had BT Broadband and upgraded to the Plus package earlier this year. we have 3x mobiles all with 20gb of data so get the app through that.
Typically the Guy I spoke with who added the package and said I'll get a link sent through within the hour... nothing came through& when I called back I got another lady who said I can't have it as my mobile app won't allow it (I know)... and she would get the sports team to get in touch... this was the start of the week and i'm still waiting... so frustrating, especially hen the guy in Newcastle said he had to check with his manager... sounded so convincing he had done it!
0 Ratings
lobsterlee
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Is there any way to track my conversation with the Guy in Newcastle and see if he actually added it? thanks for all your help btw.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

@-Richie-wrote:

@Andy005wrote:

It's a different product from BT's end, the app on the app store is the same, when you get it free with the mobile it restricts casting.
@lobsterlee  needs the free app removed and the chargeable app added, only BT broadband customers can have the chargeable app, It's £10 per month but offers do exist.

Thanks for making that clearer @-Richie- , it's somewhat staggering that the Help pages can't manage it.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 13

I've asked a passing mod to drop by and offer assistance, sit tight for now 🙂

0 Ratings