Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mg-lloyd
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Got BT Sport (HD)...but lost ESPN?

Go to solution

Signed up to BT Infinity and BT Sport (& HD) with no issues and tested the BT Sport 1 & 2 channels on Channels 945 & 946 with no issues.

However, a couple of days later I fancied watching something that was on ESPN (Channel 34) which I've been subscribed to prior to upgrading with no issues...but am now getting "You'll need to subscribe to watch this channel" message on a blank/black screen? I thought this channel/service is suppose to carry on as normal with no interruptions?

I double-checked my order confirmation email and part of it states the following:

"When BT Sport launches on 1 August 2013, you'll be able to watch:

ESPN on BT Vision channel 941 and in HD on channel 942"

Channel 941 and 942 are not even available for me?

Basically I'm just very confused and worried come launch day on August 1st? Any advice or known tips/issues for this please?

(My BT Vision box is also connected via Powerline Adapters...but it hasn't affected the BT Sport Channels or affected ESPN in the past)

Regards,

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Got BT Sport (HD)...but lost ESPN?

Go to solution

ESPN doesn't come under BTs control until 1st August. I expect it will appear on 941/942 on your EPG on that date and not before (as the ownership of the brand in the UK rests elsewhere until then).

As to why you can't continue to watch on Channel 34 in the meantime, it sounds like the BT backoffice system cannot handle you being a DTT & Multicast viewer simultaneously, so has de-registered your viewing card. You'll need to call them up to get this fixed (if it can be).

Maybe a lesson for all present ESPN subscribers - don't sign up to BT sport until just before the 1st August in case you lose ESPN early!

0 Ratings
Clover
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I get ESPN multicast on channel 34, along with the SS1 and SS2. But they didn't appear until a day or two after I was switched to delivery via broadband. Wait a day and see if ESPN appears on 34 again. On the info bar, it will show "bTV", which I think indicates it's delivered via broadband.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@mg-lloyd wrote:
However, a couple of days later I fancied watching something that was on ESPN (Channel 34) which I've been subscribed to prior to upgrading with no issues...but am now getting "You'll need to subscribe to watch this channel" message on a blank/black screen? I thought this channel/service is suppose to carry on as normal with no interruptions?

Check the Help & Settings and look at your MLTV1 Entitlement. It should clearly list ESPN as one of the services you are currently entitled to view. If so, then I think you should be able to watch ESPN on Channel 34 up to Aug 1st. I assume from then it will move to the new 941 and 942 slots as part of the BT Sport Pack. I can't see those two channels yet either.

If you are running the multicast software then the box will automatically use the Infinity multicasts for channels 34, 41 and 42 rather than the DTT transmissions. 

0 Ratings
mg-lloyd
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
Checked and only BT Sport is listed, interestingly with the date of 05/06/13 above it? Whatever that means?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

@mg-lloyd wrote:
Checked and only BT Sport is listed, interestingly with the date of 05/06/13 above it? Whatever that means?

Don't worry about the date. It constantly rolls forward each time the box synchronises with the servers and is normally a date just a bit in the future.

However, it looks like they might have accidentally removed the current ESPN entitlement from your account when signing you up for BT Sport. If you had it before and still pay for it now then I see no reason why you shouldn't have it. Which Vision package did you sign up for?

Interestingly I was told I had been registered for BT Sport when I signed up for a new package, but that is the one thing missing from my entitlement. I can see the current BT Sport promotional videos though. Mine looks like this.

MLTV1:    ESPN, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Freeview HD, Vision Plus

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Ignore.

0 Ratings
FearlessFred
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@mg-lloyd wrote:

I had exactly the same problem when I signed up for BT Sport. I lost ESPN, despite having had it since I joined. What you need to do is call up the Sales line and ask them to double check your status.

It appears that for some people that already have ESPN, when you place the order for BT Sports, it marks ESPN as a channel to "come live" when the BT Sports channels go  line in August. This disables it from your current channel offering.

Don't try going through the Technical Support help desk, as their script doesn't cover this, and you'll go through 10 minutes of "Please reboot the BTVision Box,/Modem/HomeHub/etc". If you speak to the Sales desk and explain what's happened, they should have it all sorted in a few minutes.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Looking at the latest Junk mail that fell through the door from BT I am not sure they can offer ESPN as in the small print it says something about "subject to approval" from whom I know not. OFCOM ?????????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

I'm an ADSL customer in a non-infinity area, and received a letter telling me that I would lose Sky Sports from 12 June, but offering me free broadband for 6 months if I recontracted for 12 months. I phoned on 27 May to accept this offer; the new contract was due to start on 29 May.

ESPN was still working on the evening of 27 May, but has shown a blank screen since at least the evening of 1 June; I didn't try to watch it in the intervening period. It's not a transmitter or aerial issue as ITV3, E4, 5*, 5USA and Quest, which are all on the same mux, are working. Signal strength is 42 dBuv and signal quality is 100%.

I haven't bothered to complain as there's little on ESPN at this time of year that I want to watch.

0 Ratings