Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FearlessFred
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: Got BT Sport (HD)...but lost ESPN?

Go to solution

Martin, do you get an error message when you try to view ESPN? If so, what does it say?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

@Martin_Gibson wrote:

I'm an ADSL customer in a non-infinity area, and received a letter telling me that I would lose Sky Sports from 12 June, but offering me free broadband for 6 months if I recontracted for 12 months. I phoned on 27 May to accept this offer; the new contract was due to start on 29 May.

ESPN was still working on the evening of 27 May, but has shown a blank screen since at least the evening of 1 June;

It sounds as though that is because you signed up to a new contract from the 29th that didn't include ESPN and Sky Sports 1&2? The order confirmation should have made it clear what the new deal included. Was the 6 months free broadband BT's way of saying sorry for you having to lose the ESPN and Sky Sports channels via Freeview?

Check the viewing card BTV info in Help & Settings > Settings. Is it now blank? That would indicate they have removed your access.

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks. The discount was an apology for losing Sky Sports and ESPN. I had asssumed that they would all go at the same time, i.e. 12 June. However, Sky Sports is still working, but ESPN is not. I would have liked to have watched the German Cup Final on ESPN on Saturday evening, but watched the Spanish football on Sky instead, and don't follow any of ESPN's summer sports, so it's not a big deal.

Was ESPN part of the sports package with Sky Sports, or was it part of the On Demand package? I downgraded from the full On Demand package to just TV Essentials as the number of on demand programmes that I've watched in the last 12 months would have cost less on a pay per view basis than the subscription

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

PS: There is no error message, just a blank screen.

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

PPS: I was on an old package that's no longer offered (the one where on demand was divided into film, TV, kids and music) because I'd bbeen out of contract for some time.

I'm not actually complaining about anything; I lost ESPN 2 weeks earlier than I expected, but wouldn't have watched it much in that period. I thought that saying what my position was might be of some use to the OP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Martin_Gibson wrote:

Was ESPN part of the sports package with Sky Sports, or was it part of the On Demand package? I downgraded from the full On Demand package to just TV Essentials as the number of on demand programmes that I've watched in the last 12 months would have cost less on a pay per view basis than the subscription

I think you have identified the reason. ESPN came with the TV Unlimited package, now that you have downgraded to TV Essential you have lost it.

The Sky Sports are a separate add-on on a rolling 30 days notice contract. If they are turned off part way through your payment cycle BT should give you a refund on any advance payments you have already made past that point. Check your last bill to see if you have paid in advance up to certain date.

0 Ratings
mg-lloyd
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Sounds like a plan.

You don't happen to know what this phone number is (and which options to choose!) to save me going around in circles?

0 Ratings
mg-lloyd
Beginner
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Thank you FearlessFred!

Finally got round to calling the BT Sales line as recommended and got ESPN (Ch. 34) back later that very same evening.

Also moaned a bit; so they threw in the BBC HD, ITV HD, etc channels for half price, bonus!

FearlessFred
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Glad to have helped Smiley Happy And well done for getting the HD at a discout too Smiley Wink