cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happychap
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Got You've, want BT Sport , No infinity or fibre.

Like many last year I stopped my Sky package and joined Bt tv and got a You view box from Bt as part of the deal, happy with it, I was over the moon to here that Bt was launching Sports, and still the idea is great so well done for that. But then to discover that because I only have basic broadband and took the decision when starting my Bt tv package to have the new You view box instead of the Vision + box, I now can not get Bt Sport ????

As I understand if I want to get to watch those channels on my tv I now need a Bt Vision + box??  Ok fine, that's a bit strange but if there is a technical reason for this then fine, but why not mention this when I was choosing the box. Also if I have to swap my box which is fine, can Bt clear up the confusion and over the coming weeks let us know if we with this problem are going to be able to swap boxes???

As already said well done for taking on Sky and I really want to watch your new channel, so come on explain how to.

Cheers!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Got You've, want BT Sport , No infinity or fibre.

If you haven't got Infinity or a Sky Satellite Receiver then BT intend to deliver the BT Sport Channels to your TV via Digital Terrestrial Television.

However , they will be scrambled and will require a smart card to descramble. They will also not be in HD.

The Youview box does not have a slot for this card whereas the BT Vision + box does. That is why they are saying you now need a BT Vision + box.

However the Vision + box does not do HD and doesn't have the great Youview interface.

So actually you might want to have both boxes, keeping the Youview for most things and only using the Vision + box for BT Sport.

0 Ratings
scoot55z
Message 3 of 8

Thats funny. Only recently 10/05/2013 BT suggested over the phone that £10 will buy me a card to enable free sport viewing in august.This is after informing that I only have standard broadband and a You view box.  Where will this card be inserted on the box?

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

@scoot55z wrote:

Thats funny. Only recently 10/05/2013 BT suggested over the phone that £10 will buy me a card to enable free sport viewing in august.This is after informing that I only have standard broadband and a You view box.  Where will this card be inserted on the box?

They were wrong. You cannot use a CAM card on a YouView box. There is no slot....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
happychap
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for the info, great idea regards 2 boxes. Cheers.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

It would make more sense for BT to give BT Youview customers outside Infinity areas a CI+ CAM if their TV happens to have the necessary slot.
0 Ratings
bobjob
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Good idea Colin,i would settle for that,come on BT you know it makes sense.Little cost to BT and i would be happy to pay for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

I don't know much about them, but if you search the web you will find references to USB CI/CAMs.

Does the Youview box have a USB port? If so could BT have done it that way to allow a viewing card to work with the Youview box and allow recording of the DTT sports channels? Just a thought.

0 Ratings