cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 121 of 500

Re: HDR BT Sport App

Understood re ATV. I wasn't sure it was hardware or software.

ATV is great at 4k as well for films (I know, different video parameters) and I get ATV at 25+ on the download sniffing at the router, BT roughly the same and I see peaks on both up around 30 (not a great app for a direct check of speed but it measures Netflix at 15 for 4k which is correct)

But download speed is not everything, ATV uses h.265 on the films, quite efficient compared to .264, I don't know what the VBR is in that vs BT and not sure if BT are .264. Comparisons would be a bit out for direct mb/s?

Have to wait and see if a new BT box delivers. I will check out the app when a 4k is available, HDR is not the killer for me, it is 4k.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 122 of 500

Like you @400 HDR isn't the killer for me, not just yet anyway. I know there are those think it strange but I'm more than happy with 4K as is.

The biggest 'issue' for me with HDR is when switching back to HD content which looks terrible in comparison, when of course HD isn't at all terrible 😁 I'm waiting for the day HDR becomes more prevalent before I go whole hog with HDR.

As an example, watching HDR sport on say BT and then switching to HD sport on Sky is going to be quite a jolt for the old eye balls for a bit 😂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 123 of 500

I'm still considering taking up BT Sport Ultimate for the £5 extra.  One of things that puts me off is the large white icon that is permanently in the top right hand corner of the screen when watching via a streaming device.  It worries me that it may cause screen burn on my OLED.  When I watch BT Sports via Sky Q, I can remove the icon by pressing "back" on the Sky remote, but not when it's streamed.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 124 of 500

As an ultimate subscriber via the old 4K max package or whatever it was called, I’m massively interested in getting the very best picture quality in my sports so have been dying for 4K HDR.

Considering we are too paying customers do you think we will have to buy this new set top box next year to allow us HDR? I’d be pretty annoyed if I had to fork out a load more money for a set top box just to allow me to watch what I pay for.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 125 of 500

I currently have the BT Sport app for which I pay £10 monthly and receive sport channels in HD (I don’t have BT TV but do have BT Broadband) How do I add the 4K option and pay the additional £5 per month? I can’t see any option anywhere to do this and assuming it is possible is this simply an upgrade to my existing contract or will it involve starting a new term contract?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 126 of 500

The easiest way for you to he able to get the 4K HDR stream is going to be to purchase a Chromecast Ultra and set it to 50hz in the 'Home' app settings on a smartphone or tablet.

A CC Ultra is currently £69.99, but come black Friday maybe it will drop to nearer £50.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 127 of 500

With today's announcement of the NowTV boost pass, where the Apple TV 4K doesn't seem to be supported, in combination with yesterday's announcement of 4K HDR becoming available from BT Sport, I'm now reconsidering yesterday's decision to keep the ATV4K.

I have the option to return it via the John Lewis website seen as I bought it online. It is been opened and in use for a week. However I haven't activated the ATV+ free subscription yet. Do you think I could get away with returning it if I repackage everything nicely and say that I changed my mind due to not liking the remote? 😬

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 128 of 500

Are we certain that BT football in 4K HDR cannot be watched via Apple TV App?  I am becoming very confused by all this 🙄.  What is the next football match to be broadcast in 4K HDR?  I might just upgrade to Ultimate for the sake of an extra £5 pm, so would be interested to test this out on the next match.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 129 of 500

Sorry I am not worried about how to play it I have both Xbox One and Apple TV my question relates to how I can actually upgrade my subscription to be able to play it on either of these devices (I appreciate the Apple TV won’t include the HDR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 130 of 500

@iangreasby 

You can watch the ultimate channel on the AppleTV but it is only 4K SDR not HDR as the AppleTV box isn’t capable of doing 4K HDR at 50fps. So for example Saturdays PL match will be viewable on the AppleTV but in 4K SDR whereas other devices will have it in 4K HDR. 
@Mallett94 As for NowTV being available in 1080p with the bolt on on AppleTV, I would say don’t rule it out any time soon, things are happening on the updated app front 😉

@olgitnorm As regards purchasing the bolt on. I agree I can’t seem to find anywhere pointing to how you buy it. I think anyone with a max TV subscription will automatically get it but others should be available with a £5 bolt on that I can’t see where you add this yet.

One other bugbear was that AppleTV cant advertise the availability of the 4K stream as an ident on the tile like other systems so you are reliant on having the correct settings and seeing the ultimate feed on the screen while watching to know you have got it (I know there are other more techy ways to know but keeping it simple on here).