cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smg22z
Beginner
Message 1 of 86

HDR BT Sport App

Are there any champions league games tonight streaming in HDR on the BT sport app?

0 Ratings
85 REPLIES 85
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

Hi @smg22z 

I don’t think so as the fixtures involving the English clubs tonight are all away games , so BT wouldn’t be the host broadcaster.  The PSG v Real Madrid game is on BT Sport Ultimate TV channel in 4K UHD but I am not aware of any SHD HDR tonight on the BT Sport app.

TALON1973
Contributor
Message 3 of 86

I really think it’s bad business we have to guess if a broadcast is playing a certain format.

smg22z
Beginner
Message 4 of 86

Agreed, it’s very poor and l can’t seem to find any mention of it in games coming up.  Just signed up as a ‘bolt on’ to the app.  Thinking twice about it now.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 5 of 86

Apparently Apple 4k box doesn’t support BT’s 4K hdr . So you have to downgrade to 1080p hdr.  Anyone know if that applies to Xbox one x ?

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 86

Seen as Xbone X already supports 4K at 60fps in HDR it would be strange if it couldn't handle the BT Sport 4K 50fps stream.

I'm not sure if they have actually rolled out the 4K stream to any app devices yet, and if they have I'm pretty certain they haven't rolled out 4K HDR through any of the apps yet, but I may be wrong.

I'm interested as to why the PS4 is listed as getting the HDR streams "later" when devices like Samsung TV's, ATV and Xbone already have it, hmmmmmmm.
0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 7 of 86

@Mallett94 atm there is no option on btsport app as far as I can see to playback 4K . I still find it ludicrous that by say the Apple box isn’t powerful enough to do 4k sports 🤔🤔🤔
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 86

Is that on the Apple TV or the Xbone?

Like I said I don't think they have rolled out access to the 4K stream on any platform other than the 4K Youview box as yet.

To my understanding, through the Xbone , Apple TV and Samsung Smart TVs (2015 onwards), the HD HDR streams are available through the 'large screen BT Sport app'.

It is true that the Apple TV 4K box is limited by its hardware to 4K at a max of 30 frames per second. Even though the box outputs a 60hz signal at 4k, the maximum this is is 4k 30 frames per second, where each frame is show twice to match the 60hz refresh rate.

As it stands you have 2 options, watch the BT Sport Ultimate channel in 4K SDR with Dolby Atmos through the Youview box, or watch in HD HDR with Dolby 5.1 (?) through the large screen app.

Personally I think I would go with the increased resolution in SDR, unless you have a really good TV which upscales really well, in which case I would be tempted to try the HD HDR.

The new version of the Apple TV which is coming out will likely support the full 4K 50fps be it SDR or HDR stream. I would have though that the Xbox One X/S would as well when they actually release it.
0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 9 of 86

What's this new version you speak of @Mallett94 

Are Apple bringing out a new Apple TV device?

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 86

Hello

There were rumours that a new Apple TV device would be getting announced at the Apple Developer Conference the other week. I think I must have dreamed that this then did actually happen because I just checked google and yeah there wasn't a new device announced.

However there is likely to be a new one at some point next year.

If anyone has done a comparison between the 4K SDR stream via Youview and the HD HDR stream via Apple TV/Xbone/Samsung TV app, what are your opinions?