Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

@TALON1973 @robotman1 @smg22z @zulu17 

Hello all

I was wondering if any of you have watched some content in 4K SDR through the 4K Youview box and also watched some content in 1080p HDR via the 'large screen bt sport app' on some form of device, and had any opinions on the quality differences between the two?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 86

Yes @Mallett94  I have watched  the Samsung TV BT Sport  HDR broadcasts a few times and been  impressed with the picture quality. when I do I normally do switch  across to the BT  4K Youview box  connected to the same Samsung TV and watch on BT Sport Ultimate channel 433.  so I haven’t watched them side by side.

I also watch a fair amount of other programmes in BT Sport Ultimate channel 433 content in 4K. 

i would be happy to watch more in HDR on the Samsung Tv BT Sport App but currently the convenience of channel changing and pause/rewind live channel that the BT Youview box offers means I tend to watch on Youview 

robotman1
Contributor
Message 13 of 86

Thanks for the post relating to the app picture quality @zulu17  I'm teetering on the brink of buying an Apple TV 4K box to replace a Roku Stick+ (4K stick) so as to get the BT Sport app. I currently do my Ultimate viewing on the T4000 box. I like to tinker with new 'toys', something my wife gets a little peeved at 😁

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 86

Would I be correct in thinking that even though HDR does cause the 1088p 50fps image quality to be improved compared to SDR, that overall the 4K SDR image is better overall?
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 86

@zulu17

Sorry I forget to tag you in my post earlier and I don't think you can edit posts on this forum.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 86

Does anyone know if any of the matches are in HDR tonight?

I wanted to try out the HDr stream on my One Plus 7 Pro which has a HDR10+ screen, so would have thought it would support the HD HDR streams.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 86

@Mallett94  There doesn’t appear to be tonight , as there is no HDR showing on my Samsung TV BT Sport App , I would have thought Liverpool home game would have been a likely candidate but clearly not. 

robotman1
Contributor
Message 18 of 86

Had Spurs v Bayern on briefly in 1080/HDR but found the 4K 'standard' picture to be of better quality so reverted back to it. The normal 4K picture on an Apple TV 4K is outstanding 😀

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 86

Are you sure that the Apple TV app supports the native 4k stream? I was under the impression they hadn't launched the 4k stream to any versions of the app yet.

I may be wrong but I thought they'd decided to only do 1080pHDR via Apple TV 4K and Samsung TV app for now and 4k stream was still limited to BT TV 4K Youview box and Virgin V6 box? The reason being the Apple TV 4k box doesn't support 4k @ 50fps.

I can only think that if you are getting the genuine 4k stream then it is limited to 25fps, otherwise perhaps your are just watching the 1080pSDR 50fps stream but the ATV4K is upscaling it to 4K instead of your TV.

Please correct me if I am wrong though! 😄

I'm hoping a Europaeague match tomorrow or the Saturday early kick off will be in HDR to try on my mobile.
0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 20 of 86

I took from the quality of the picture it was the 4K stream. I could be wrong. 

My tv does any scaling as I have the ATV4 set to Match Range and Content so everything is being output natively ftom the box.

What makes you think Apple TV 4K doesn't do 4K at 50fps? That's what mine is set at (tv os 13).

0 Ratings