cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

It is a hardware limitation of the ATV4K that it cannot process and output 4k 50fps. This was confirmed in a couple of other threads on this forums by a BT Sport Expert employee.

Also the BT Sport app on ATV doesn't appear to work properly with the built in match frame rate/dynamic range settings of that ATV. You have to manually set what you want e.g. HD HDR.

As I said perhaps they have now released the 4K SDR 25fps stream to the ATV, but to the best if my knowledge they haven't.

I think the most 'premium' picture you can get through the ATV4K is the 1080pHDR 50fps stream. May be worth sticking with it for a full half, and then watching the 4K SDR stream through your 4K Youview box?

Cheers.
0 Ratings
iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 86

I watch BT Sport via Sky Q so don't have a BT TV box.  I have the BT Sport App on my Samsung TV and on Apple TV box.  I would like to watch in 4K if possible or maybe even 4K HDR.  I know that I can't do this via Sky, but can I do so via the BT Sport App?  When I tried a couple of weeks ago I could only access the HD streams.  I phoned BT Sport but they didn't really know what the situation is regarding 4K HDR.  

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 86

If you read post 22 of this thread =>

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-Sport-4K-hdr-and-4K-on-devices-questi...

What has been listed there was confirmed as correct by a BT Sport Expert Employee only a few days ago.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 24 of 86

I understand you now @Mallett94  I thought you meant the ATV4K couldn't handle 4K SDR 50 at all, when I'm already able to watch content output in that manner on the box. I see now it's a BT app issue with the ATV4K. Thanks for clarifying. I was already aware the apo doesn't work with refresh/range switching, something other apps perform admirably. Not a fan of HD HDR.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 86

@robotman1  To the best of my understanding, I don't think the ATV4K can support 4K 50fps in HDR. Its an actual hardware limitation of the ATV4K. The ATV should be able to support the 4K 50fps SDR stream, but as said before I am not aware that this has been made available to any versions of the app yet.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but what I think you are seeing is the 1080p SDR 50fps stream being upscaled by the ATV4K which is then outputting a 4K 50hz signal.

To the absolute best of my knowledge, the 4K stream (which by default should be 50fps because 50 fps is part of the UHD spec.) is still exclusive to only the 4K Youview box and the Virgin V6 box.

What you may be finding is that the ATV4K is doing a better job of upscaling 1080pSDR to 4K, than your TV does of upscaling the 1080pHDR to 4K.

I hope I am making sense. Perhaps @zulu17 or @KitH  could give their view for you as well?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 86

Further to this, I have taken this information from the following BT Sport webpage => https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64361/?s_cid=con_FURL_sportfinalhdr

"What’s the experience of Ultimate by platform?
BT Sport Ultimate is available via the following platforms:

BT TV: available on channel 433, offering live programming in 4K and Dolby Atmos. BT Sport Ultimate replaces the existing BT Sport 4K UHD channel on BT TV. Dolby Atmos requires customer to have the necessary TV set and BT TV box
Virgin Media: available on channel 531, offering live programming in 4K. BT Sport Ultimate replaces the existing BT Sport 4K UHD channel on Virgin Media
BT Sport Mobile App: available in HD HDR for selected events on Android and Apple handsets and tablets. You simply choose the event you want to watch, and if the match is available in HDR, you'll see an on-screen HDR notification. If you have a HDR capable mobile or tablet, a HDR capable Apple TV, and a HDR capable TV screen, you can Airplay HDR to your large screens from the mobile app."
0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 27 of 86

@Mallett94 

I've said a few posts back I may have been mistaken into thinking I was getting a 4K stream from the BT Sport app via ATV4K. I never thought to check it with my TV calibration kit.

Unless I'm on some sort of beta build, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be on one, I am definitely getting Native SDR 4K 50fps from the ATV4K with other apps I'm using.

As regards the BT Sport app, I am aware of the limitations it has placed on itself as it doesn't play well with the ATV4K, unlike other apps which automatically adjust to output their native resolution and refresh rate.

I have the ATV4K set to 4K SDR 50Hz with both frame rate & range matches turned on within the settings, a la post number 2 on this page https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-Sport-App-for-Apple-TV/td-p/1950575  That means the ATV4K outputs as broadcast, with NO scaling, all scaling with these settings is being done by the TV set, NOT the box.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 86

@robotman1 

Hello! Yes for sure the ATV4K can support up to 60fps 4K SDR streams, however it falls down when it comes the 4K HDR streams in that it can go no higher than 30fps in this format. E.g. YouTube should have no issue with outputting 4K 60fps SDR content.

I would anticipate that in the future ATV4K users will get the choice of either 1080pHDR or 4K SDR as their max quality stream.

Out of interest, how does the ATV4K handle the BBC iPlayer UHD demo loop? To the best of my knowledge this demo loop should be 4K 50fps HLG HDR.

It was my understanding that the ATV4K could match frame rate and match dynamic range, however it doesn't auto match resolution? E.g. if you have your ATV4K set to 1080p, even with auto match content on, everything will be output from the ATV at 1080p. If the ATV is  set to 4K with match content on, everything will still be upscaled to 4K by the ATV. 

It would be fairly easy to check this by say putting something on you know is 720p or 1080p on the ATV, with your ATV set to 4K and auto match content on, and then viewing the HDMI input info on your tv and seeing what resolution image it is receiving.

Just realised Man Utd are away tonight so no 1080pHDR stream there. I can't actually find a page anywhere on the BT Sport website advertising upcoming HDR events 😕 .

I notice above you stated you preferred the non HDR stream to the HDR stream, could you explain why? I am really interested. Is it perhaps that you have customised your SDR picture settings on your TV, but then when HDR mode is engaged on the same input you haven't customised them to your liking? Or could it simply be that the 1080pSDR stream upscaled to 4K by the ATV is upscaled much better than your TV handles the 1080pHDR stream?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 29 of 86

Netflix on ATV4K outputs Dolby Vision which is outstanding quality. The TV correctly accepts that 😀

The iplayer demo isn't available on the ATV as it along with many other apps is an Apple specific version of the app.

The ATV seems to match resolution just as Apple claim it does.

@stereohaven  wrote this in another thread, something I can attest to: 

The first thing to note is that the Apple TV 4K home screen isn't in HDR, it's SDR, so using the 4K SDR as a base setting ensures you get the truest visual.

HDMI Output and Chroma will depend on how fast your cable is I guess, but the most important setting is to change Match Content to "Range & Frame Rate".

This means that the Apple TV will then adapt the picture quality correctly depending on the stream, rather than trying to upscale everything to HDR as your current setting will do.

You play something on 4K Ultra HD with HDR, that's what you get, play Dolby Vision, that's what you get and when you are not, it reverts back to 4K SDR in the main menus because that is what the Apple TV puts out natively. 

What did concern me about the BT Sport trial in HDR for the final was the app asked you to go into the Apple TV settings and change the output to 1080p HDR. You should not have to do this, the stream should tell the Apple TV in the meta data what it contains and then using the settings above ensures the correct resolution is displayed.

The ATV4K most definitely matches the correct resolution IF you set it up properly.

I don't prefer non HDR BUT I don't rate BT's half baked attempt at HDR by only using HD HDR rather than the full 4K HDR the ATV is capable of.

For the final time I'll say my ATV4K, with the settings I have, upscales nothing, my tv is handling all that for me instead.

Finally, my tv has been professionally calibrated accordingly for each individual input and resolution.

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 86

You have reminded me @robotman1 to double check if anything changed regarding the home screen in tvOS 13, especially as it is now doing things like full screen preview, has new icons and allegedly the underwater screen savers when they arrive are 4k HDR.