Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

@robotman1 

Sounds good! I was debating about getting an ATV4K, but seen as I have a Sony Bravia 55XF90 which has Netflix, Prime video, iPlayer etc built-in with 4k HDR, a Gen 3 Chromecast for BT Sport and a NowTV stick for nowtv, I decided it wasn't worth it for me.

What TV do you have?

Also I don't seem to have any HD HDR streams available on the app again tonight. Same for you?

What TV do you have? It good you've had it calibrated! I have so many debates with people on avforums when they complain about HDR, but it turns out they're watching SDR in completely the 'wrong way' 😭😭😭

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 86

Just checked Samsung  BT Sport App Arsenal V Standard Liege is HDR  tonight .

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 86

@zulu17  Thanks for this, I closed the app on my phone and reopened it, and boom on the homepage was a link to watch Arsenal in HDR.

As other have said, the image is 'dimmer' at the same brightness level compared to the SDR stream, but this is normal and it explained by this article => https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-07-hdr-uhd-television-picture-quality-settings-guide

What is clear to anyone with an attention to detail is the wider colour gamut. The whites are whiter, the colours have more variation and are truer to life, I think it looks pretty good. Note I'm watching on my One Plus 7 Pro, and for the HDR stream I set my phone brightness to maximum with auto brightness off.

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on HD HDR Vs HD SDR?

0 Ratings
iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 86

I didn't think I could access BT Sport 4K/HDR as I subscribe via Sky Q (see my earlier post).  BT confirmed this when I contacted them on Chat facility and said the only way to get 4K/HDR was via BT TV (YouView) box, this will change in the future apparently.  However, I had a quick test on the Arsenal match between Sky Q and via Apple TV App.  What a difference!  Everything looked much sharper on Apple TV and the colours were clearly more authentic.  I checked on my LG TV which confirmed it was receiving a Dolby Vision signal.  Now, this may be purely down to my ATV settings (DV 50 Hz HDR), so it may be "tricking" the TV into DV mode.  Regardless, the difference between the two was night and day!  

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 35 of 86

So do you guys keep changing settings just to watch bt sport on aptv ? As the video format should be set at 4k SDR for everything else .

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 36 of 86

@stereohaven   I bought my ATV on the day os13 went live so on turning it on I got an instant upgrade message. I upgraded without actually looking at the os12 layout. This is my first Apple TV device so can't compare against a previous version/device. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts as someone who has owned one for longer. One complaint I read online is the Apple TV app being moved to the top row, althought that of course is easily remedied 😀

@Mallett94  I also had access to all the apps via my tv and connected devices. Before this week I would have swore by my Roku Stick+ but the ATV4K is a much more superior device, and of course has the added bonus of BT Sport & BT TV App Extra. I haven't switched on my BT T4000 since I got the Apple TV and installed the two BT apps 😁

My tv is a Panasonic TX-65GZ2000B.

I didn't know the Arsenal game was to be HDR tonight, but thanks anyway to @zulu17  for the heads up. I watched United earlier which was 90 minutes of my life I can't get back, and I'm a United fan 😂

@TALON1973  I have no interest in changing settings just for HDR BT Sport content. If/when they improve the BT Sport app to play nice with the ATV4K, ie. automatically change resolution and frame rate without manual intervention, then I'll revisit that option.

I can't complain with the 'normal' SDR picture via the BT Sport app on the Apple TV for now 😀

Sounds like you had a pleasant surprise tonight @iangreasby 

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 86

@robotman1 

Good evening/morning!

It's interesting you say that that you haven't turned in your 4K Youview box since you got the ATV4K. Seen as I'm fairly sure we've reached the conclusion that the ATV isn't providing a 4k stream at all yet, I would have thought the true 4K SDR 50fps stream would be better than both the 1080p 50fps SDR & HDR streams??

I really would love to try the HD HDR stream on my Sony 55XF90. Maybe I'll wait until the next generation of ATV is released...

Is your TV an OLED then? V nice!!

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 38 of 86

Good morning @Mallett94  Thank goodness it's Friday 😁

Yes, the tv is an OLED.

Switching between the two sources on Tuesday night I found the overall quality of the Ultimate channel (non HDR) on the ATV to be much better than on the T4000, plus there's the convenience of having everything now on the one device. Call it the lazy man's approach 😂

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 86

@robotman1wrote:

Switching between the two sources on Tuesday night I found the overall quality of the Ultimate channel (non HDR) on the ATV to be much better than on the T4000, plus there's the convenience of having everything now on the one device. Call it the lazy man's approach 😂

I am on Max HD so don't have the Ultimate Channel on my T4000 to compare, but the picture quality through the ATV last night (non HDR) was superb, probably the best I have seen on any device for a BT broadcast. I have an LG OLED. 

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 86

@iangreasbyHHello 🙂

I think you would benefit slightly if you set your ATV4K settings to be more like @robotman1 e.g. in the main display out settings, set 4K of course, enable HDR, have 4:4:4 chrome, but manually set the home screen and menus to be SDR and 50hz, and then of course turn ON match content and frame rate.

This will ensure you don't accidentally view a BT Sport SDR stream, but the ATV box tries to 'upconvert' the image to HDR. I can assure you that BT Sport is not being broadcast in Dolby Vision format 😂.

@robotman1I was thinking about getting a Roku stick + this time last year, but I had just bought the now TV stick for £15 and already had everything else the Roku would have provided, so decided against it. I was hoping that the BT Sport app may have been made available on Roku by now, but alas it hasn't.

If BT will reinstate support for HDR streams to a Chromecast Ultra, then I'd be much more tempted to upgrade to an Ultra then buy a whole ATV4K, just for HD HDR BT Sport 😭