cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 86

Re: HDR BT Sport App

What do you mean? You are getting 4K 50fps through the 4K TV box, and for select events through Samsung/Apple version of the app you are getting HD HDR?
0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 52 of 86

Erm no .... I’m getting 1 basic 4K sdr from the youview box... and Zero 4K on ANY app on ANY device.

That’s far from “max 4K” . I’ve even had BT guys on the phone saying it’s bs.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 86

@robotman1

@stereohaven 

@zulu17

@TALON1973 

Heads up everyone, whatever is on the BT Sport 1 HD channel ATM and the Tottenham game afterwards is currently being broadcast in HD HDR on the BT Sport Ultimate channel if watching on a compatible mobile, the Samsung TV app or the Apple TV app.

Be interesting to hear some comparisons between HD HDR and 4K SDR via the 4K TV box 😁

0 Ratings
iangreasby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 86

I did another comparison between BT Sport via Sky and Apple TV App last night on the Bundesliga football.  Again the Apple TV triggered Dolby Vision mode on my LG TV and again the PQ was much better.  I now accept that the TV is being "tricked" into HDR DV mode by Apple TV App but the benefits are definitely there.  

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 55 of 86

@Mallett94  I can’t see the ultimate channel via aptv ? Am I missing something ?

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 56 of 86

@Mallett94 

Quick observation from yesterday as I literally only had 5 minutes to spare during the Brighton Spurs match.

With the Apple TV on HD HDR the picture lacked a little of the 'punch' of both the Ultimate channel via the T4000 and the ATV when changed back to 4K SDR 50Hz, but that's to be expected with HDR. What you are getting, and again what you would expect, is a much 'cleaner', more detailed picture with amazing colour depth.

If you have last night's Match of the Day recorded and catch any of the footage from the in-goal camera from the same match you would get a general idea of what I mean by the difference in colour, although obviously not the detail as you're only watching in 'normal' resolution on MOTD.

I couldn't help feeling though that UHD HDR would have produced amazing results, and a much more marked difference, taking into account what improvement there was with HD HDR.

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 86

@robotman1 

Thanks for the analysis.

Can I check, when you are comparing the BT Sport Ultimate channel in HD HDR Vs the ATV @ 4K SDR, are you viewing the BT Sport Ultimate channel in 4K SDR (in which case the picture would be wrong as we discussed earlier), or when you are in 4K SDR are you viewing the BT Sport X HD channel? This would be the fairest comparison imo.

Also did you get try try out comparing the scaling ability of the ATV Vs the scaling ability of your TV?

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 86

@iangreasby 

Hello. As you have acknowledged your ATV is basically attempting to do a conversion of a SDR HD channel to Dolby Vision HDR. As much as you may like the results this produces, this isn't actually a fair comparison when you are comparing the the Sky Q BT Sport HD.

The fair comparison would be hard setting your ATV picture output options to 1080p (as this is the native broadcast quality) SDR (not HDR or DV).

Tbh it is recommended that the ATV picture setting always be left in SDR mode anyway because that is what the menus are actually produced in and gives the most accurate image. If you then have match content for frame rate and dynamic range turned on, then for all other apps except the BT Sport app, your ATV will automatically switch to whatever HDR mode is needed by the content you are viewing.

Once you have done a comparison between say BT Sport 1 HD through sky q box(2tb box or normal? Whichever box set output to 1080i because this is what the channel is natively broadcast in) and BT Sport 1 HD on the ATV set to 1080p SDR, come back and let us know what you think then?

I would still expect the BT Sport app PQ to be better seen as it is 1080p true 50fps Vs 1080i50 (basically 25fps) through sky.

The reason I say to set the sky q box to 1080i output and the ATV to 1080p SDR is because this way your TV will be the device doing the upscaling so it should be consistent across the two sources. Whereas if you have the skyq 2tb box set to 4K and the ATV set to 4K, you have the external factor of the sky q upscaling Vs the ATV upscaling.

I hope this all makes sense.

Kind regards.

Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 86

@TALON1973 

Hello, I'm afraid I'm not sure what happened for you. Had the Brighton Vs Spurs broadcast stopped by then? The Brighton Spurs game was definitely available in HD HDR on compatible devices and so was the programme before (early kick off I think it's called).

Are you mostly watching in 4K SDR via the T4000 box when the Ultimate channel is broadcasting an event at the moment then?

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 86

@Mallett94

Sorry a bit late to this thread and I have only skim read it so please forgive me if I repeat what has already been said. I have done a comparison and these are my opinions . Obviously I can’t talk about the 4K stream on the ATV as that is not released 🙂

The auto matching has been disabled on the current released app as unfortunately if people have their settings on 4k with auto matching on, the Apple TV auto chooses the 1080p25fps stream which will look very poor and people may not understand why, hopefully when the 4K stream is available this won’t be a problem as it will be able to pick the 4K50fps stream (albeit SDR unless people have the hdr/dv option setting so the Apple TV fakes it).

Therefore for my test I have the Apple TV set at 1080p SDR in the settings and this auto switches to  1080p HDR when the feed kicks in. I am comparing this against the T4000 box set at 4K output (obviously this has to be SDR as this box can’t do HDR).

My TV is an LG Oled (b8) set up on all channels using a test calibration disc, so set up by my eye but not professionally.

Firstly the Apple TV feed is variable bit rate so will show slightly differently for people depending on what bandwidth they have available. I am comparing when it is running at its highest setting but this is still a long way short of the 30Mbps set bit rate that the T4000 runs at. Personally I much prefer the 4K sdr stream on the T4000 especially during the fast moving action as it is a lot crisper on the screen and the detail and clarity far outdoes the Apple TV. That said the Apple TV is still a good picture and certain times the HDR does really help. During the PL match where there were big shadow areas on the pitch where the roof covered it vs the bright sunlight areas where the crowd was in the sun the HDR really helped to range the colours where the T4000 washed out the crowd colours to a bit of a white mess. Again there are still a lot of complaints about the HDR picture being too dark and people not liking it and I think we will see a lot of that going forward where people don’t set things up quite right for HDR.

again this is all my own personal opinion so obviously feel free to ignore/disagree with me.